X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

one door opens......

One door opens & another one closes........

Keyboardist, Ray Manzarek of the Doors passed yesterday at the age of 74.

Quite unusual for a rock band, The Doors never had a string bass player.
    Manzarek typically utilized a Fender Rhodes piano with his left hand to lay down bass rhythm.

I always felt his melodies where the foundation of their unique sound, his jazz, classical & blues influence with his restrained, minimalist compositions adding depth, substance & sophistication to all the Doors' works.

Fair thee well to another true genius of the arts.
    Last edited by wkhanna; 22 May 2013, 12:35 Wednesday.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Losing all the greats the last few years, soon we'll be left with nothing but Justin Bieber and The Jonas Brothers.......... I'm glad we media that'll last forever to always remember what great music sounded like.

Comment

• wkhanna
      • Jan 2006

ahhh..... :?:

Not to get nick picky, or only to further my justification for the continued use of analog.......

But magnetic tape will deteriorate over time, as many are now discovering. Even the lucky few master tapes that were stored under the best of conditions are beginning to show problems. In the best of circumstance it will retain the data stored on the media Fifteen (15) to thirty (30) years as reported by manufacturers of modern data tape such as Linear Tape-Open media. One specific problem is called sticky-shed syndrome. The absorption of moisture into the binder of the tape will render the tape unusable. And the acetate itself will oxidize, leaving the tape brittle & eventually unusable as it literally crumbles to dust.

As for the precious optical disc.......there are no guarantees it is any more stable....
      and every time you make a copy there is the chance for degradation, regardless of the quality of the software or hardware performing the operation.

But then you say, "I have it digitized on a hard drive. I'm good for a long, long time".
      To which I say, "When was last time you heard of someone's HD crashing & loosing all their data, music, photos, etc, cus they did not have a foolproof back-up in place when they thought they did?"
      Trust me, it happens far more often than you may imagine.

Vinyl, on the other hand, has already proven its capability to faithfully preserve data recorded over one hundred yeas ago.

Now I am not proselytizing that all your 'precious' data be backed up on, or only be released on, vinyl.
      No, I ask only that you not fool yourself into a false sense of security presuming that all modern technology is intrinsically 'better' than what came before.
      Last edited by wkhanna; 22 May 2013, 19:31 Wednesday.
      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Well I have a server with dual redundant hard drives, and then there's solid state drives and such. So

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
          I'm glad we [have] media that'll last forever............
          ????
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well I wasn't trying to turn this into a big debate? So I'm just going to walk away as I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Not looking for anything, least of all a Big debate.
              Not looking to pick a fight or troll.

I apologize if you feel as though I am targeting you or making this personal.
              Not looking to do that, either.
              My comments were not meant to be taken as though they were directed specifically to you.

Just went on a ramble, as I am known to do.

When you are old like me & start to see your own mortality staring you in the face every day......
              Well...forever starts looking like a V long time........just saying.......
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Lol, I understand, and Bill you've still got a while I'm sure! I miss hanging out with you guys though.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah, wish you could make over sometime.
                  We had some good times!
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

A lot of people say Jim Morrison was the Doors... and while I agree to some extent... I really feel that Ray was the Doors. He was a lot more of the foundation of the group while Jim kept trying to tear the band apart. Sort of a Ying and Yang thing.

Either way, we got some of the best music to ever be recorded............... can't debate that.

In order to keep music, you must take the time to take care of the music. I agree at this moment Vinyl is the only tried and true medium to actually preserve the music. I agree digital media is very volatile...but at the moment, it's more on the consumer side to do their best to do the preservation. It's just the simple fact that people need to realize that they have to keep multiple copies in multiple formats (potentially) to ensure that what they love continues to live on. It's work...but anything worth it is.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Well, I have CD's from the early 80's that are doing just fine. How long they will last is subject to debate and only time will tell. However, a CD will probably last a life time if taken care of. Vinyl I believe is the same. Properly cared for, it will likely last a lifetime. As mentioned above, Analog tape is a whole other thing.

I'm actually hoping to buy a decent turntable at a garage sale this year to spin a couple of records that I have not heard in awhile and will likely never be pressed to CD.
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

I was surprised when I heard the news of Ray's death. It only feels like a few months ago that I bought his last CD "Translucent Blues" but when I looked it up I see it was released in May 2011. It's a good album and Ray's energy suggests that he wasn't suffering from the disease that killed him (bile duct cancer) when he recorded it. Anyway, it was a reminder to get that album recorded in case the Grim Reaper visits sooner than you expect.

Nigel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Well that's sad

Thanks for the tunes Ray!
                          Jason

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"