X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldtexasdog
    • Feb 2009

New here and need a little advice on 705s please

I just became the proud owner of a set of 705s with stands. Now I need to get them to be all they can be. I am running them through a Dennon 2808 110w AVR, but they will be only used in 2 channel direct or pure direct mode for music only.
    Question: Where would be a good starting point to set my sub's freq cut off at, and what tweaks would I maybe want to look into on settings on the amp like freq response ect? I know this is something I will have to tweak and play with for a while myself but I thought someone here could give me the benefit of his or her experience so I could have a good reference starting point.
    Also I have an 8-point Audyssey calibration tool but I have only used this for the HT set-up on another set of speakers and was not sure if I wanted to use it in this application?
    Thanks all
    There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

I'd suggest 80hz for the sub crossover.

Comment

• Oldtexasdog
      • Feb 2009

Thanks NMG. I know a lot of you here have a lot higher end equipment than I do but after 3 months of auditioning I've got the BEST Speaker I could find for my budget, and I am a happy proud camper

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Nothing wrong with the 705. Enjoy your new speakers.

I would think that 80hz is fine for movies but for music I would set it lower. You want you stereo speakers to handle as much of the frequency range as possible. 705s do not have a great deal of bass but what they do have is good. That being said bass is a very personal thing, and most people seem to prefer too much bass over correct or light bass.

Our point of reference is often someone's bass heavy system or a night club etc.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Oldtexasdog
          • Feb 2009

Thanks. I am using them for music only and have been tweaking ALL DAY :E It would seem around 73Db they are happy with my ears. It just seems a lot of it depends on the recording I left them to large with that setting and on many of my recordings, it seems just right. When I run across a bad re-mix, I have been either setting it over from Pure Direct to standard, or even kick in the Audyssey setting. I wish I knew a good source for quality material? It has been a long hunt-Vandersteen, Salk Song Towers, Totem Hawks, Polk LSI9, B&W 685&683, and the 805s along with MANY other wantabes ID and name brand, to numerous to list. I did keep a list :roll: with impressions of sound stage, definition, depth of soundstage, width of sound stage, dynamics, spaciousness, overall impression WAF, and equipment used along with PRICE$$$. Just for future reference

Comment

• Oldtexasdog
            • Feb 2009

Well I have been working on it and have got them sounding just beautifull. So if this helps anyone else. I moved them out to 18.5in closet corner to wall and 20.5in furtherst. Both are at least 3ft from side wall. This alone got rid of most of the nasties. Went into my amp and set bass crossover to 80Hz,setting the 705s on small, and rasing the 4Hz level to 4.5Db. Then went to both Subs and set them to 80Hz and turned down the attack till they blended just right. Now I can CRANK it up and no nasties just good clean well defined music with a good (not chest pounder)thump of bass.! :B Man but do these speakers let music sing, and breath.

Comment

• N2siast
              • Sep 2007

I'm confused I thought I read you bought the 805s.

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Oldtexasdog
                Well I have been working on it and have got them sounding just beautifull. So if this helps anyone else. I moved them out to 18.5in closet corner to wall and 20.5in furtherst. Both are at least 3ft from side wall. This alone got rid of most of the nasties. Went into my amp and set bass crossover to 80Hz,setting the 705s on small, and rasing the 4Hz level to 4.5Db. Then went to both Subs and set them to 80Hz and turned down the attack till they blended just right. Now I can CRANK it up and no nasties just good clean well defined music with a good (not chest pounder)thump of bass.! :B Man but do these speakers let music sing, and breath.
                If you have your receiver set to small then it is already applying the 80hz filter and you should have your subs set to bypass. The way you have it set up you are applying the filter twice and that will cause a nasty slope at the crossover point.
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• Ken49r
                  • Dec 2007

I preferred the X-over @ 60hz on my 705's for music and 80hz for movies.

The 705 is a nice speaker.....Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"