X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

best rotel amp for 705s - opinions please

hi all,

we have a yamaha 2600 av receiver (130w * 7 @ 8ohms claimed) and look likely to be getting some b&w 705s with htm7 center for fronts. if at some stage we choose to to use the preout on the reveiver to power up the 705's, whats the most appropriate 2channel rotel amp to use on them?

Might be totally offtrack but thinking:

Option 1: rb1080 (200w*2)
    Option 2: 2 * rb1070 (130w*2 each) and biamping them

what got my curiousity going is that we can get 2 1070s for the cost of the 1080. Which would give the cleaner sound? Will it be too much power for the 705s?

btw - sorry to be asking so many questions. absorbing info like a sponge atm

cheers,

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Opinion 2. The 705s do not require that much power to drive. The 1080s won't be too much power, but I feel it will be overkill.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• theMaximus
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by audioqueso
      Opinion 2. The 705s do not require that much power to drive. The 1080s won't be too much power, but I feel it will be overkill.
      I'll second that. If you had 703 or 704, 1080 may be a good choice. 705 would not benefit from additional 70W per channel as much as 703 or 704. It's not that 705 can't handle 200W, but just an overkill. Based on my experience bi-amping makes a significant difference in sound quality (most of the time) whereas bi-wiring may not.

However, if you plan to upgrade to larger floorstanders in the future, you may be better off buying a 1080.
      Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"