X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peed
    • Mar 2006

choosing n804 or matrix 801s3

I've been looking between those two speakers and i don't no what tho do.
    i now the n804, but the 801s3 i can't listing because it's second hand and the speakers(801s3) come with original boxes.

greetings

peter
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

What fun. I suggest you buy the older 801 then tell us which is better. I hear that the signature 800s, I think that is what the call the really big chunky looking ones, are still something special.

There are some Matrix 801 owners around this forum but they may not be regular visitors. You may have to wait a little while.

You could even try asking B&W directly.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• JürgenW
      • Jul 2004

I own the 801 S3 and the 9nt and can only compare these.

The 9nt is really not bad, a controlled sound, but the 801 S3 is much better: very much in balance, and - if necessary - a very nice bass, although sometimes it is not so straight as it could be, but does certainly not outweigh it's qualities. (So I use the 9nt as Back Surround speakers and the 801 S3 for stereo and as frontspeakers in Home Cinema mode.)

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
        I hear that the signature 800s, I think that is what the call the really big chunky looking ones, are still something special.

You are thinking about the Matrix 800. The Signature looks just like my Avitar.

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Thats the one. I knew it wasn't nautilus. Probably should have looked it up but I was being lazy.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• peed
            • Mar 2006

thanks for all the answers, i'm going to the shop tomorrow and i wil see what i do.

gr

peter

Comment

• peed
              • Mar 2006

i've bought the 801 matrix s3 in black ash :P

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by peed
                i've bought the 801 matrix s3 in black ash :P

Excellent. That should set you up very nicely. What are you going to drive them with.

Post pictures when you can.

Comment

• peed
                  • Mar 2006

for now i play with rotel rc 1070 and rb 1080, its great

Comment

• peed
                    • Mar 2006

a few pic's

Comment

• Graham
                      • Feb 2006

You made a good decision - I'm sure you'll be very happy with the M801. Personally I think the Matrix speakers were the best B&W have done and were a real bargain at the price, but then I'm biased as I have the M802s3.

If you want to improve them further and don't mind playing with a soldering iron you can make big improvements by upgrading the crossover. I replaced mine completely and haven't looked back since. I recently added some bypass caps which improved it even more, having had the suggestion from somebody else who did the same change as me on his M802s.

Have a look here under "B&W Crossover" and "B&W Photos":

My web page

Happy listening!
                      Graham

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"