X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zilla
    • Oct 2008

Is an MC 2105 enough for the 803s ?

I am currently powering my 803 S mains with 2 channels form a Rotel 1095 fed by an Integra DHC 9.9. I'm looking at MC's because of the 803's impedance dip (down below 3 ohms I believe) which I believe is contributing to a lack of mid & upper base. Dual svs subs take care of the bottom thoroughly and the midrange & highs are a little overpowering. The result is just a little thin sounding in what my dealer (after listening to some music with him and isloating certain passages) in the 150-400hz range. Are the autoformers in the Mac the magic bullet I'm looking for?

The Rotel is 200 wpc and the MC 2105 is 105 wpc. I dont' want bleeding ears so losing 3 db isn't a big issue for me. I'm just not sure if 3db is the only thing I may sacrifice since the B&W's are such power & current hungry speakers. I've never owned a Mac and want someone with experience to chime in with whatever insights they have that may guide me to an informed decision. I don't want to make a lateral or backward move here. System is used mostly for movies & TV (because the wife has more time to use it than I do) but the change I'm looking to make is all about my time when I'm listening to music.

I found a 2105 locally, at a reputable dealer, in good (not perfect - but very good) condition under $600. Audio Classics lists one in slightly better condition at $1,099. Smart move or no? All your thoughts are appreciated.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I cannot say for sure, but I can say my Chord, which is 130 wpc is plenty for my 804s. That said my Chord is rated 2 ohm stable @ 200 wpc.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

zilla,

I had Rotel driving my system before moving up to Mac's. I liked my Rotels. I really like my Macs. They have a smoothness with B&W. More liquid than the Rotels. Better pretty much across the board.

I think a good condition MC2105 for less than $600 is a steal. I would suggest you get it. I bet it will work very nicely for you. If for some reason it doesn't work out, Macs hold their value quite well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• mb225
        • Jan 2009

I too have the same complaint with my 803s. I feel like the mid-bass is lacking and really missing a "punch". I had the opportunity to compare an MA6300 (100w/c) to my Rotel RB-1582 (200w/c). IMO the MA6300 sounded a little better than the Rotel. The Mcintosh was a little smoother and calmer, it was nice. Not night and day, more like a subtle improvement. However, I wouldn’t say it improved the bass or mid-bass. So I’m not sure it’s the "silver bullet" you are looking for.

I’ve been told by B&W support that they would recommend something like a Mcintosh MC402/452 to drive 803s. I haven’t heard this kind of setup so I can’t comment on any results. The other thing to look at would be your room. I found my 803s to be very bright, almost unpleasant in ways. I added some acoustic treatments and that really cleaned things up and restored some balance. But I find myself still wanting more bass. Specifically, mid-bass. I was thinking of adding a sub and a Mcintosh MEN220 to make mid-bass corrections for my room, but it’s more of a long-term project.

Please let me know if you find a solution. I could use it too. Maybe the 803s are just lacking mid-bass?

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mb225
          I too have the same complaint with my 803s. I feel like the mid-bass is lacking and really missing a "punch". I had the opportunity to compare an MA6300 (100w/c) to my Rotel RB-1582 (200w/c). IMO the MA6300 sounded a little better than the Rotel. The Mcintosh was a little smoother and calmer, it was nice. Not night and day, more like a subtle improvement. However, I wouldn’t say it improved the bass or mid-bass. So I’m not sure it’s the "silver bullet" you are looking for.

I’ve been told by B&W support that they would recommend something like a Mcintosh MC402/452 to drive 803s. I haven’t heard this kind of setup so I can’t comment on any results. The other thing to look at would be your room. I found my 803s to be very bright, almost unpleasant in ways. I added some acoustic treatments and that really cleaned things up and restored some balance. But I find myself still wanting more bass. Specifically, mid-bass. I was thinking of adding a sub and a Mcintosh MEN220 to make mid-bass corrections for my room, but it’s more of a long-term project.

Please let me know if you find a solution. I could use it too. Maybe the 803s are just lacking mid-bass?
          As i recall with my previous 803s', they do love as much power as you can give them. When i initially powered them with my Rotel RSX-1057 (75w) they sound slightly thin and missing in the bass department. It was when i changed to a 200w MAC amp where the bass was more pronounced. A +300w amp on these speakers would really get the best out of them.

Comment

• zilla
            • Oct 2008

Thanks fopr the repsonses. I didn't pull the trigger on the Mac yet and probably won't. While my room is an issue (20 x 25 x 8 and tiled with a large slider on one side and window on the other) I think the demands of the 803's to really perform, may be what I have to address. I can't see affording 3-400 watts of quality amplification for these babies. Time$ have changed. I might look into an MBM, or perhaps a different speaker. I find myself wishing I had bought the Sonus Fabers I demoed as I was shopping but I was so enamored with B&W I didn't listen to my ears. They were a better speaker for me than the 803. Such is the hindsight of this hobby. The thought of a downgrade is painful after what I went through to get these but I'd have to get something that I could pay for with the sale of the 803s. I'm wondering if the right Klipsch might fill the mid bass void without sacrificing too much? Not sure. Have to listen to some and see.

I'm prepared for the "Stop! Don't do it - what are you thinking!?!? emails as well. Thanks for any past or future comments.

Comment

• mrciave
              • Apr 2010

Well, IMHO a high-level underdriven speaker sounds horrible, worse than a mid-level speaker with the proper electronics behind. A well-balanced system will be able to shine no matter the class, if properly assembled. It's when one component outclasses the others, that you immediately feel the limitations of all the others.

So, if $$ are an issue, you could consider, for example:
              - CM7-8-9 or even 683
              - a good Rotel 2ch integrated or pre/final

I'm not into Rotel gear or the current price of used stuff in US, but if you wish to stay with B&W, just get the entry or mid-level speakers, and assemble a well-balanced system. Then you won't really feel it as a downgrade, but maybe even as an upgrade.

Just my 2c...
              2ch Setup: Esoteric SA-50, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Lingo and Ittok, Benz Ace SL, Gryphon Diablo, B&W 802D, Kubala-Sosna Emotion XLR and Speaker, Purist Audio Dominus power cords with Oyaide C/P-004/046, Finite-Elemente Pagode Master Reference, Cerapuc, Cerabase, Bybees

Home Theater Setup: Panasonic P50VT50T Plasma, Oppo BDP-95 BD Player with digital optical to Esoteric

Comment

• stuofsci02
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2009

Zilla,

Before selling your 803s, give Emotiva a try. They will ship the amps to you for free out of Tennessee and you will have a 30 day no questions asked return period. If you do not like them, you are out ~$50 to ship them back.

You will be able to get all the power you want for much less then you expect and the equipment is quite good as well.. I have seen a lot of guys running 802s off Emotiva XPA-1 (500 watt/channel monoblocks for $999 each). They also have UPA-1 monoblocks (200 watt/channel monoblocks for $349 each).

I have a UPA-1 powering my HTM3s for multichannel.

Cheers,

Stuart
                Main System:
                B&W 801D
                Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                Oppo BDP-105
                Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                B&W CM7
                Emotiva UMC-1
                Emotiva UPA-2
                Oppo BDP-83SE
                Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"