X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tweir
    • Oct 2006

To bi-amp or to mono?

This may have been covered already so forgive if this is the case. So with speakers like the 803d,802d,801d,800d what is your opinion on using the Classe Cp 700 with Cdp 202 and mainly the Cam 400 one for each speaker or using a Ca 2200 in bi-amp. To get the best sound quality and not so much peak spl. Same price point but different results. I currently use the Cam 400 and my 803dr's and love it! I have seen others use the 801d with 2 Ca 2200 in bi-amp. Does anyone have any thoughts on the different use of the amps. I choose in my setup more for sound quality and I do tend to listen in the 90 to 95db at times. Also the price point of the cp700 to use the 4 balanced out was more then I wanted to spend at the time. I am in the process of changing out the speakers to 802d or 801 and if so would get the cp700 and that would give the direction of 4 cam400 or sell the cam400's and get a pair of ca2200. I also like the fact that the mono's let me run short runs of wire and longer balanced cables compared to the ca2200 using short speaker wire in horizontal bi-amp but introducing 2 xlr per speaker. I think less is more with hi end audio like a cap2100 and sigdiamonds and less wire is better. So given the choice what would you prefer to bi-amp or to mono?
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Tweir
    This may have been covered already so forgive if this is the case. So with speakers like the 803d,802d,801d,800d what is your opinion on using the Classe Cp 700 with Cdp 202 and mainly the Cam 400 one for each speaker or using a Ca 2200 in bi-amp. To get the best sound quality and not so much peak spl. Same price point but different results. I currently use the Cam 400 and my 803dr's and love it! I have seen others use the 801d with 2 Ca 2200 in bi-amp. Does anyone have any thoughts on the different use of the amps. I choose in my setup more for sound quality and I do tend to listen in the 90 to 95db at times. Also the price point of the cp700 to use the 4 balanced out was more then I wanted to spend at the time. I am in the process of changing out the speakers to 802d or 801 and if so would get the cp700 and that would give the direction of 4 cam400 or sell the cam400's and get a pair of ca2200. I also like the fact that the mono's let me run short runs of wire and longer balanced cables compared to the ca2200 using short speaker wire in horizontal bi-amp but introducing 2 xlr per speaker. I think less is more with hi end audio like a cap2100 and sigdiamonds and less wire is better. So given the choice what would you prefer to bi-amp or to mono?
    I was bi-amping my 803D's with a CAV-150 (6x150 watts), and recently changed to mono CAM-350's. I much prefer the monos. The sound seems clearer, smoother and fuller throughout the frequency ranges and particularly at lower volumes.

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

@Tweir,

I dont like the bi-amp too,

The CAM will be better vs. a CA2200 bi-amp. in vertical or horizontal modus.

Omar

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Tweir
        Does anyone have any thoughts on the different use of the amps. I choose in my setup more for sound quality and I do tend to listen in the 90 to 95db at times. I think less is more with hi end audio like a and less wire is better. So given the choice what would you prefer to bi-amp or to mono?
        Mono as you said CA-M400 or Electrocompaniet Nemo 600:T One for each speakers eh!
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Wettou
          Mono as you said CA-M400 or Electrocompaniet Nemo 600 One for each speakers eh!
          Tweir, the MOON W-7M (Simaudio) :T make your speaker a space shuttle!!!
          See the Fred setup and he have sure a reponse for your quetions..

@Wettou I have the CA5200 too but this Simaudio MOON MC-8 will be great!!

Omar

Comment

• Alpha231
            • May 2008

I would agree with the others that have already said mono... take into consideration that the speaker (assuming you would be using a CAM-400) would have "400" watts available at any given time versus only having "200". Another thing is that the "bottom" half of the speaker is the power hungry part and the "top" half not so much...

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Alpha231
              I would agree with the others that have already said mono... take into consideration that the speaker (assuming you would be using a CAM-400) would have "400" watts available at any given time versus only having "200". Another thing is that the "bottom" half of the speaker is the power hungry part and the "top" half not so much...
              An other solution is set up your system the way I did, crossover at 80HZ and the sub JL Audio Fathom F113 does the heavy lifting and with 2500W of power in the JL Audio no worries mate.

Or you could get the new JL Audio FathomĀ® f212 :T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"