X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiophied
    • Apr 2006

CAM 350 vs CA 2200

I was wondering if CAM 350 would match up well with classe's new delta line (CP 500 and CDP 102) or if it would be better to go with a CA2200 since that amp was made to match up best with the CP 500...

Current speakers are N802 but 802D or Wilson Sophias (which I haven't heard yet) are a possibility in the future..
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I considered buying a legacy Classe amp off of audiogon, because of the great prices available. I asked Classe directly, and the answer was, basically while they are extremely proud of products they released in the past, the new line introduces a step above anything they have done previously that they are truely proud of.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• audiophied
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
      I considered buying a legacy Classe amp off of audiogon, because of the great prices available. I asked Classe directly, and the answer was, basically while they are extremely proud of products they released in the past, the new line introduces a step above anything they have done previously that they are truely proud of.
      Most likely true when comparing the CAM 400s to CAM 350s or the old CA X01 to the CA 2200 but would it still be true when comparing a legacy mono to the new delta line stereo amp?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Interesting discussion and speculation here about the different amp generations. When I look at the schematics across three generations, I don't see major differences. All share similarities in circuit topology. I would love to be able to see the schematics for a Delta Series amp to compare the audio portions of the circuitry. Attached are partial schematics showing the driver and output stages of the DR-15, CA-300 and CA-301. Juat a little food for thought.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Glen B; 15 March 2007, 22:46 Thursday.

Comment

• audiophied
          • Apr 2006

Has anyone in this forum auditioned both amps? I would be curious to hear their thoughts..

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Well, I have auditioned the CAM350, the Omicron and the CA-3200 but sequentially and not side-by-side, over months and on different speakers. So?

Kal
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Any thoughts even though the setups were not the same Kal? I have been pondering a pair of CAM350's for my 803's....
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                Any thoughts even though the setups were not the same Kal? I have been pondering a pair of CAM350's for my 803's....
                FWIW, I like the CA3200 better than the CAM350s but that's based on a comparison of memories under different conditions, not a side-by-side comparison. The Omicrons are another story.

Kal
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• xk8boy
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                  Interesting discussion and speculation here about the different amp generations. When I look at the schematics across three generations, I don't see major differences. All share similarities in circuit topology. I would love to be able to see the schematics for a Delta Series amp to compare the audio portions of the circuitry. Attached are partial schematics showing the driver and output stages of the DR-15, CA-300 and CA-301. Juat a little food for thought.
                  For power amps the most important component is the toroidal power supply, one would think these components will advance with technology and become better and more efficient with every generation.

Comment

• Glen B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by xk8boy
                    For power amps the most important component is the toroidal power supply, one would think these components will advance with technology and become better and more efficient with every generation.
                    Classé did move from single large caps used in the power supply of the DR series products to multiple smaller power supply caps in successive generations, a feature which they maintain in the Delta amps. In each successive legacy generation, power supply capacity was increased above that of the previous one. So yes, in these and other little ways they have advanced their designs (I'm always reluctant to use the word "technology"). IMHO amplifier technology IN GENERAL is similar to what it was three decades ago.

Yes there have been some changes/innovations, but high-end manufacturers to this day still employ the concepts of full dual differential full complementary amplifier topology and servo control developed three decades ago by amp designer James Bongiorno of Dynaco, SAE, GAS [Ampzilla] and Sumo fame in their own designs.

Other features like capacitive input power supplies and use of bipolar output devices are still commonplace, so in a sense those aspects have remained unchanged. I own an SAE amp manufactured in 1975 that I acquired last year and refurbished. Its design features are very similar if not identical to modern amps and it sounds remarkably grain-free, detailed and transparent for a 30+ year old piece. :T
                    Last edited by Glen B; 22 March 2007, 12:03 Thursday.

Comment

• audiofun
                      • Feb 2005

Classe CAM-350 amps are far superior in bass performance than CA2200 on my B&W N802. I end up keeping the CAM-350. CA-2200 is better looking and has slightly better mid though.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"