Classe CAM 400 with 803s - an overkill ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

Classe CAM 400 with 803s - an overkill ?

Hi
    I am about to upgrade my 1095 ( driving 803s) to classe. I have two options
    1. Buy CAM 400 monoblocks and keep my rotel 1068 as of now, later upgrade to a better pre-amp .
    2. Buy CA2200 with an ssp-300.

In other words, is the CAM 400 an overkill for the 803s ?
    Thanks
    Eliav
    :T Socrat
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Oh no! I don't think so. B&W's love that kind of power. You'll get lots of controll on the bottom end.
    Greg

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would go with the CA2200 and the SSP300, That amp will be more than enough for your 803s, dont let the 200w per channel rating fool you.
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

The SSP-300 pre/pro blows away the 1068. The difference between the mono's and the CA-2200 will not be as noticable as the pre/pro upgrade. I second SG's recommendation, get the SSP-300 and CA-2200 you will not be disappointed.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
          The SSP-300 pre/pro blows away the 1068. The difference between the mono's and the CA-2200 will not be as noticable as the pre/pro upgrade. I second SG's recommendation, get the SSP-300 and CA-2200 you will not be disappointed.
          Hi
          What about CAM 400 +ssp 300 + 803s ? will the difference over ca2200 + ssp 300 be worth the $$ ?, what about the benefits of two monos setup vs a stereo amp?
          Eliav

Comment

• stewfoo
            • Jul 2005

Well, I have heard the CA-m400 with 803s, 803d, and 802d.... The one thing that it gives you with any of those speakers is HEADROOM. During a listening session that I had recently, I heard the CA-M400's push these three in 2 ch. My dealer played everything on a $10k turntable... All I could say is "wow". Even the 5200 (or any of the 200wpc amps) are great. But, what the CA-m400 did was bring an effortless neverending source of power to the 803s and 803d. I am a big fan of buying electronics that match or exceed the level of your speakers. I guess I am just bitter about my Rotel experience.
            ...Or maybe you guys in this forum are turning me into an Audio Weirdo that ponders too much of this minutia. I have 803s and htm3s with a Classe powering the three of them.... I am fine with this..... NO MORE! I need to stay married.
            Stew

Comment

• Eliav
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
              Well, I have heard the CA-m400 with 803s, 803d, and 802d.... The one thing that it gives you with any of those speakers is HEADROOM. During a listening session that I had recently, I heard the CA-M400's push these three in 2 ch. My dealer played everything on a $10k turntable... All I could say is "wow". Even the 5200 (or any of the 200wpc amps) are great. But, what the CA-m400 did was bring an effortless neverending source of power to the 803s and 803d. I am a big fan of buying electronics that match or exceed the level of your speakers. I guess I am just bitter about my Rotel experience.
              ...Or maybe you guys in this forum are turning me into an Audio Weirdo that ponders too much of this minutia. I have 803s and htm3s with a Classe powering the three of them.... I am fine with this..... NO MORE! I need to stay married.
              Hi Stew !
              I am about to close a deal, either way it's going to be the CAM400 and later ssp300, or 2200 + ssp300 at one shot.
              My tendency is kind of like yours, to go with the bigger gyus...I just wanted to hear some more opinions before I jump into the cold water...
              Eliav

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Eliav, if you can afford the jump in price then the CA-M400 and SSP-300 combination is not overkill, just more than enough to satisfy. However, it also put's you in the admirable position of future speaker upgrade capability should you decide later to do that. Personally, I find the CA-2200 more than adequate to power the 803S's. I have driven my existing pair of 803S's to insane limits with my "lowly" Rotel RB-1080 and they handled the punishment admirably. The CA-2200 is even more powerful and adept!

Comment

• stewfoo
                  • Jul 2005

I agree. The Ca-m400's are great. But, even at the smokin price that I was offered, I am broke. If I did it all right the first time I could have had all 5 channels of Classe and B&W and my DD-18. I guess upgrading after buying the stuff so recently pisses me off. I hate wasting money like I feel that i did with Rotel and the REL Stentor..
                  Stew

Comment

• Eliav
                    • Jul 2005

I agree. The Ca-m400's are great. But, even at the smokin price that I was offered, I am broke. If I did it all right the first time I could have had all 5 channels of Classe and B&W and my DD-18. I guess upgrading after buying the stuff so recently pisses me off. I hate wasting money like I feel that i did with Rotel and the REL Stentor..
                    Stew
                    I would not torture myself on the rotel you had purchased. after all it is just water under the bridge now. Think of the good side, you have come to the point where you now know exactly how your system should sound like, the rotels were just an experience you learned from ( and payed some tuition fee on,...) now it is time to enjoy the major league ..I am sure it's going to be sweeeeet.
                    Depending on Graham's reply tomorrow I will probably go with the CAM 400 and later on buy the ssp300.
                    Thanks everybody for your input, very helpful !
                    Eliav

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
                      Hi
                      What about CAM 400 +ssp 300 + 803s ? will the difference over ca2200 + ssp 300 be worth the $$ ?, what about the benefits of two monos setup vs a stereo amp?
                      Eliav
                      I would definitely get the 400s and the ssp 300 if you can. This kind of investment prepares you for a very nice speaker upgrade down the road when you save up more money, and those 400 monoblocks will take care of any upgrade in the B&W speaker line far into the future! It is worth it to prepare yourself for future upgrades. The only thing you shouldn't do is make me this envious.

Comment

• Eliav
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by JKalman
                        I would definitely get the 400s and the ssp 300 if you can. This kind of investment prepares you for a very nice speaker upgrade down the road when you save up more money, and those 400 monoblocks will take care of any upgrade in the B&W speaker line far into the future! It is worth it to prepare yourself for future upgrades. The only thing you shouldn't do is make me this envious.
                        Thanks Jeff. When (and if) purchased - I will keep you all posted..
                        Cheers
                        Eliav

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

you didn't say how much for the cam 400's. As Rebelman said, you will be in the position to upgrade speakers and pwoer them correctly. Also the regret about Rotel, well its all part of the leaqrning curve. The Rotel helped you discover where you needed to go. !

Comment

• jlee
                            • Aug 2004

I've been thinking of upgrading my 1098 to SSP-300... and from what I've read, the 1068 and 1098 are similar as a straight preamp. Have you had a chance to back to back the 1068 vs. SSP-300? I know on paper, the SSP-300 does "blow away" the 1068.

Comment

• jlee
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                              you didn't say how much for the cam 400's. As Rebelman said, you will be in the position to upgrade speakers and pwoer them correctly. Also the regret about Rotel, well its all part of the leaqrning curve. The Rotel helped you discover where you needed to go. !
                              Well said... Rotel is excellent "entry level high end"... it is a good learning step... for somebody new to hifi, it's a no brainer... because the resale is so good... u can get used rotel and resell it for little to no loss... and to fully appreciate the high end stuff, first you must have experience with the stuff below it... as a reference. I started with Rotel and I don't regret it one bit... I have trained my ears and I now am more able to fully appreciate the subtle but definite improvements that high end lines such as musical fidelity and classe bring to the table. The weak point in my system is now my Rotel RSP-1098... I want to upgrade to the Classe SSP-300.

Comment

• xk8boy
                                • Jul 2005

Eliav, the M400s are amazing. I have them driving my 802D. I have read a lot of great things about the SSP300, the only thing that it lack is a balance output.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

I agree with JLEE, you have to start somewhere. While I only have 1 pair of ref9's and am looking to biamp them with my N802's, I know that my P-965 is still the weak link in the system.

I am planning on buying the second pair of ref9's before I get the new pre/pro, as I know that if/when I upgrade speakers again, it will not be a step down, and the additional power will still be a good investment in the future.

Here is how I justify it, or try to: Once you buy an amp you are happy with, you don't need to replace it. Sure, there will always be something new out, but its not like a pre/pro where a new DD or DTS format came out and you need to upgrade to get the new stuff. An amp will always be an amp.

While I would love to deck my system out with classe, I can get 4 nuforce amps for less than the cost of one CAM-400. When I upgrade my pre, classe will be on my short list.
                                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jlee
                                    I've been thinking of upgrading my 1098 to SSP-300... and from what I've read, the 1068 and 1098 are similar as a straight preamp. Have you had a chance to back to back the 1068 vs. SSP-300? I know on paper, the SSP-300 does "blow away" the 1068.
                                    Indeed. I compared the RSP-1098 to the SSP-300. With respect to music, there was no contest. The SSP-600 should be even better for those that are looking for an audiophile grade pre-amplifier with fully balanced circuit topology, but it's $2000 more.

Comment

• Eliav
                                      • Jul 2005

Indeed. I compared the RSP-1098 to the SSP-300. With respect to music, there was no contest. The SSP-600 should be even better for those that are looking for an audiophile grade pre-amplifier with fully balanced circuit topology, but it's $2000 more.
                                      Very useful information, thanks guys. !
                                      I closed a deal on the CAM 400 today ( thanks again Stewfoo...).
                                      Will probably get it next weekend.
                                      Anybody has an experience with the Classe CP500 (stereo pre amp ) ? : musical performance , competablility with HT other processors ?
                                      Thanks
                                      Eliav

Comment

• stewfoo
                                        • Jul 2005

Eliav,
                                        no prob. I love passing on info when I get great deals or meet great people. Like I told you in the PM, I have looked at those monoblocks next to my 3200 and thought to myself " I can do it, I can do it".... But, I realized that my wife would have had a heart attack. Especially because I live in Arizona and still havent done anything with my backyard. i.e. I NEED A POOL. My wife keeps making me feel like a jerk for spending $60k on my entertainment center (including custom furniture piece) rather than a place for my kid to play. Anybody have the # for audioholics anonymous???
                                        Stew

Comment

• Eliav
                                          • Jul 2005

Stew
                                          Let me know when you join, I will come with you(lol). I guess our wives can establish the "Classe/B&W widows club"....
                                          Can you imagine if we opened a parallel forum for our wives ? I think the steam that will be released there could power the entire US !

Cheers
                                          Eliav

Comment

• stewfoo
                                            • Jul 2005

Eliav, could I talk you into trading those monoblocks for my 3200? I think those are overkill and my 3200 is perfect for you! :W
                                            Stew

Comment

• Eliav
                                              • Jul 2005

be my guest Stew..
                                              Eliav

Comment

• Fraise
                                                • Dec 2004

I was about to comment. The CAM-400's with an SSP300 seen like a slightly odd match. It's kind of an extreme of one and the entry level of the other. Personally i'd spend the extra $2000 for the SSP-600 but them i'm biased alreadying having chose the SSP-60 over the SSP-30.

Comment

• Eliav
                                                  • Jul 2005

[QUOTE=Fraise]I was about to comment. The CAM-400's with an SSP300 seen like a slightly odd match. It's kind of an extreme of one and the entry level of the other. Personally i'd spend the extra $2000 for the SSP-600 but them i'm biased alreadying having chose the SSP-60 over the SSP-30.[/QUO
                                                  Hi
                                                  I agree, the ssp300 does not have balanced output and it's analog bypass mode for two channel is not as good as the ssp600. I think that the CP500 or it's bigger brother should be a better match for the Cam400. Anyone's experience with Classe CP500 pre amp ?
                                                  Eliav

Comment

• Fraise
                                                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Eliav
                                                    Hi
                                                    I agree, the ssp300 does not have balanced output and it's analog bypass mode for two channel is not as good as the ssp600. I think that the CP500 or it's bigger brother should be a better match for the Cam400. Anyone's experience with Classe CP500 pre amp ?
                                                    Eliav
                                                    I've had experience with the CP500 when it first came out. unfortunately i dont really know what to say about it as i haven't really compared it to any other pre-amps directly. I'm asuming he wants to stick to HT since he mentions the SSP300. It its for 2 channel use i'd definately say go for the CP-500 or the CP-700 if the budget permitts. One thing i can say about the new classe stuff is i would kill for the new CDP-300

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Eliav the CP-500 runs about $3500. If you are interested in top end stereo AND HT maybe you should go for the SSP-600, as you lose nothing. If you get the SSP-300 now and add the CP-500 later, or vise versa, you are out about $1500 and some shelf space. What are your intentions? Music or movies or both?

Comment

• Eliav
                                                        • Jul 2005

Hi
                                                        Well I am about 90% music and 10% HT. I was just fine with the rotels for HT, I want however much more for two channel music, this is why I am upgrading now.as a matter of fact, my 1095 and 1068 are still going to drive my HTM3s and rears , I find the sound satisfactory for movies and TV .
                                                        Eliav

Comment

• stewfoo
                                                          • Jul 2005

My dealer has the cp 500 and cdp 100 in stock. I am just not a 2 ch guy so I wasnt interested... and the cdp100 was tempting, but I am gonna hold out for the cdp 300 most likely when I can afford it or wait for the new video format to come out.
                                                          Stew

Comment

• Fraise
                                                            • Dec 2004

My dealer has the cp 500 and cdp 100 in stock. I am just not a 2 ch guy so I wasnt interested... and the cdp100 was tempting, but I am gonna hold out for the cdp 300 most likely when I can afford it or wait for the new video format to come out.
                                                            you definately wont be disapponted with teh cdp-300. when i auditioned it, the setup consisted of 2 CAM-400's powering a pair of 802D's, an SSP-600 and the CDP-300. It was all connected with transparent cables and i can admit it was the first time i was relatively impressed with the 802D's.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"