Classe CAM-400 - twice as good as CA-2200?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fikszo
    • Apr 2008

Classe CAM-400 - twice as good as CA-2200?

I am moving from a HT setup to a dedicated stereo setup.

While I am a real Classe enthusiastic, I definitely prefer staying with it.

But now I was wondering if anyone has done a 1-one-1 comparison between the CAM-400 mono's and the CA-2200, while one mono costs the same as the stereo poweramp.

I can imagine that it is better then the stereo amp, but what were the differences, and is it really worth the money?

I did have a comparison between the CA-2200 and the CA-3200 in 2-channel, which I found very hard or even impossible to distinguish.

So I was really wondering if it really is a world apart, or that also between the mono's and the stereo amp it is quite difficult to notice the differences.

Rest of my setup;

I am also looking to buy the CP-700 preamp, and I now own the CDP-202 cd player. My speakers are B&W 803D.

Thanks in advance for your reply's
    Classe Audio: CDP-202 I SSP-600 I CA-3200
    B&W: 803D Rosenut
    Pioneer PDP-LX5090
    Transparent: Musicwave Ultra MM / Musiclink Ultra MM
  • vinylmeister
    • Sep 2009

The CA-M400 uses the same 200W modules, but configured in balanced output mode. One module amplifies an inverted signal while the other handles a non-inverted signal.
    Therefore I would go for the CP-700 first, I think that your 803D are well served with the CA-3200.
    Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

HI
      If you search in this (or may be in the B&W) forum previous posts, I think you will find a review of both amps. compared A/B. Per my recollection, the differences were not big and were limited to lower end superior handling by the bigger guys.
      I do not think you can go wrong either way. the CDP 202 and CP700 is unbeatable combo. I have a very similar setup ( CAM400/CDP202/CP700/800D) Strongly recommended !!.
      Cheers
      :T Socrat

Comment

• fikszo
        • Apr 2008

I searched for the A/B comparison in both forums, but couldn't find it.
        If you can help me out on this one, please.

What I did see, is a lot of opinions about the small defferences between them. That makes me wonder. Still a lot of people do have the mono's, so for some reason they did think it was worth the money. (or couldnt live with the thought that they would always think about how it would sound with them if they bought the stereo amp).

Does anyone know of a CP-700 and the mono's being offered secondhand? And what are reasonable prices?

I saw a cp-700 offered at audiogon for $ 4200, which I thought is quite expensive, while some months ago several were being offered at much lower prices.
        And what about the CAM-400; does $ 5.000 for a set seems reasonable?
        Classe Audio: CDP-202 I SSP-600 I CA-3200
        B&W: 803D Rosenut
        Pioneer PDP-LX5090
        Transparent: Musicwave Ultra MM / Musiclink Ultra MM

Comment

• FALCODEAN
          • May 2009

Dear Fikszo,
          I had the same dilemma a couple of months ago myself, had upgraded my speakers to 800d and wondered whether the CAM-400 would make a difference to my CA 2200. I had both in my less than ideal home living room and decided to keep the monoamps. It took me some time though to decide as the differences were not that big. I mainly kept the monoamps due to the more convincing, solid, bass performance, more depth and volume in the lower end.
          My setup:
          CDP-502
          CP-700
          2x CAM 400
          2x 800d
          I still have an SSP 300 but can`t quite convince myself to add a full HT as I mainly listen two channel.

Comment

• Eliav
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by fikszo
            I searched for the A/B comparison in both forums, but couldn't find it.
            If you can help me out on this one, please.

What I did see, is a lot of opinions about the small defferences between them. That makes me wonder. Still a lot of people do have the mono's, so for some reason they did think it was worth the money. (or couldnt live with the thought that they would always think about how it would sound with them if they bought the stereo amp).

Does anyone know of a CP-700 and the mono's being offered secondhand? And what are reasonable prices?

I saw a cp-700 offered at audiogon for $ 4200, which I thought is quite expensive, while some months ago several were being offered at much lower prices.
            And what about the CAM-400; does $ 5.000 for a set seems reasonable?
            Hi again
            I think that RebelMan commented on the differences between the two amplifiers. Try to look at his threads, I hope I am not misleading you, I am pretty much convinced he had done this A/B comparison and published his findings in this forum.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

I am looking for three CAM-400 I might trade my CA-5200
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2006

Hallo,

at first is what do you search: power fully or precision and details...pure control from HF &LF

the biamp with 2x ca2200 and 802D (or up) give you the best sound vs. 2x cam400.

the cp 700 is perfect, the cp500 go out of Classe production....

but is a personal taste.

Style

Comment

• Eliav
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                  I am looking for three CAM-400 I might trade my CA-5200
                  Wow.
                  Sounds like a power plant you're building there :W ..
                  I was thinking about bi-amp. my 800D with 4 CAM400, yet, never heard ANYONE who could tell me the difference was audible to justify the expense of getting an additional pair of 400, speaker cables cables, etc..

Comment

• SchH III
                    • Jan 2008

For the 800D's, the answer is a definitive yes. The improvement in bass response is, in my opinion, remarkable and the benefits far exceed the monetary cost. Currently I am using 5 CA-M400's (bi-amping the 800D's) and the fifth for the center. A CA-2200 powers the surrounds. Other Classe components include the SSP-800 (still not updated as the local dealer failed) and a CDP-202.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Eliav
                      Wow. Sounds like a power plant you're building there :W ..
                      I was thinking about bi-amp. my 800D with 4 CAM400, yet, never heard ANYONE who could tell me the difference was audible to justify the expense of getting an additional pair of 400, speaker cables cables, etc..
                      I think just using mono blocks should do the job
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

well, is really no bad or???

a monoblocks Omega from Classe will be the next step!!

or a new speakers!!

Style

Comment

• shep
                          • Dec 2004

running B&W 803s with CA-2200, CDP-202 and CP700. Pretty happy with the sound I have now, but I can vouch for the 803d being a fairly significant step up. As for the CAM-400s, I have yet to hear them, but would like the opportunity to substitute them into my existing system.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"