X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wakefield103
    • Aug 2008

XT Series + AMP - Please Help!

I am relatively a newbie when it comes to audio and would really appreciate some help in deciding if I need an amp for my planned new B&W speakers and then choosing an amp if one is needed.

I am planning to upgrade my front speakers to 2 B&W XT4 for left\right and a B&W XTC for center. I have a Yamaha RX-V2600 AVR that I was not currently planning to replace that drives my system. However, after reading a lot of posts online I got the impression that the XT speakers require a lot of power to sound their best. That being said, many of the posts I read were old – so I am not sure if that still holds true.

First question: is the impression above true about the B&W XT series speakers?

Assuming it is, I was planning to get an amplifier with the XT speakers and use the pre-outs of the AVR. I was looking at the Rotel line of AMPs. What was unclear to me was do I need an “at least” 3 channel amp (like the RMB-1075) or could I get away with a 2 channel (like the RB-1070). If I went with the 1075, it would drive the left\right\center. If I went with the 1070, it would drive the left\right and I would let the AVR drive the center. In either option the AVR would also drive the surrounds and rears.

Second question: Do either of the options above make sense and sound good? If not, what would you recommend?

Here is some more information on my setup:

Surround speakers: Sonance Virtuoso RS2 In-ceiling Speakers
    Rear speakers: Sonance Virtuoso RS2’s In-ceiling Speakers
    Subwoofer: Earthquake Sound Thor IWSUB10 In-wall Subwoofer
    Sub AMP: Behringer EP2500

Sonance Virtuoso RS2’s In-ceiling Specs:
    • Tweeter: (Two) 1⁄2” (13mm) Cloth domes
    • Midrange: (Two) 3” (76mm) black woven glass fiber with a rubber surround
    • Woofer: 8" (203mm) Woven Glass Fiber cone with rubber surround
    • Frequency Response: 32Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3dB
    • Impedance: 6 Ohms nominal, 4 Ohms minimum
    • Power Handling: 5 to 150 Watts
    • SPL: 91 dB 1W/1m
    • External Speaker Dimensions (Dia x D): 12” x 5-7/8” (305mm x 149mm)

Earthquake Sound Thor IWSUB10 In-wall Subwoofer Specs:
    • Frequency Response: 18Hz - 160Hz
    • System Effeciency: 89 dB @ 1W/1M
    • Measured SPL: 104 dB @ 20Hz
    • 108 dB @ 30Hz
    • 109 dB @ 40Hz
    • 122 dB @ 55Hz
    • Driver: 10" Patented SWS; Shallow Woofer System
    • Passive Radiator: 10" Patented SLAPS; Symmetrically Loaded Audio Passive System
    • Excursion: 2" Peak-to-Peak/MAX
    • Dimension (H x W x D): 28" x 18-5/8" x 3-3/4"
    • Weight: 40 Lbs.

Room dimensions:
    • Width: 19 ft
    • Length: 21 ft
    • Height: 10 ft.
    • Click here to see planned placement of B&W speakers:
    Hi, One of the most popular threads in Club Rotel is an area where members can post pictures of their Rotel equipment... I thought - why not :banana: join the party in our own club! So let’s use this thread to post pictures of any aspect of your B&W setups that you've all invested so much energy in! Some examples might

Thank you very much,

Wakefield
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

Hallo wakefield103,

I will make a good investiment much expensive as Rotel but sure better:

1° Classe CA5100 (you well be surprised for waht this ampli delivery.

2° Rotel rmb1077 or so like that (Rmb1085...)

Always with the Yamaha as pre??

grettings Omar

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Wakefield,

The Classe drives the XT extremely well. I owned these speakers for a year and they were great. I drove them with the Rotel RB180, an I was able to do an in home audition with the Classe. If you cannot afford the Classe the Rotel is a great alternative.

You can always use the receiver you have until you get your amps.
      Greg

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

Wakefield,

A separate amp always helps, but you can add it later. You can just get the speakers first, drive them with your receiver and listen to them for a month or two. If you really think you need a separate amp, then by all means go for it.

I think your room is relatively large, and the XT's are difficult to drive. If you like your music and movies loud, chances are that you will need external power for all your front three channels.

Once you decide to add external amplifcation, you can also check out Emotiva. I think they have an in-home trial free-shipping policy.

You may also want to consider the 805S and the HTM4S. I like them better than the XT in the high and mid ranges. Since you have a subwoofer already you can let it fill out the lower range.

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Any of the Rotel 200W+ amps drives them beautifully. Forget driving them with any receiver or any power amp below 150W RMS. I really wonder where BW came up with their recommended amp power for the XT. I know of no amps in the 100W range than can drive an XT surround system (5.1 or 7.1) at any decent volume level. Maybe for strereo but definitely not in surround. I use a 1080 for the XT4's and a 1095 for my XT2's and XTC, the sound is fabulous for any source at any volume.

Comment

• wakefield103
            • Aug 2008

Thank you for the feedback thus far.

Omar,

At some point I will replace the Yamaha and go with a pre or another AVR that supports the latest video processing (1080p) and audio codecs (DTS-HD, Dobly TrueHD), however I was not planning to upgrade for at least another year.

The Classe CA5100 looks like a great amp. But it is a lot more than I wanted to spend for an amp. It sounds like you are recommending a multichannel amp vs. a 2 channel amp only. Is that correct?

GregLett,

I am assuming your post had a typo and the amp you used was a RMB1080. Did you use that amp to just drive the left\right?

kmcheng,

I would say that this setup will be used 70% for home theater and 30% of the time for music. I do like my home theater sound loud However when listening to music, I normally listen at a more moderate level unless I am in another area of the house.

Admittedly, one reason I have decided on the XT Series vs the 800 Series is the appearance. In comparison, I know the XT's do give up a little, especially in the lower end, to their cousins the 800 Series. But I am hoping the use of a sub can minimize that.

WI Rotel,

Thanks. Can I ask you what you consider a decent volume level? I don't recall what level I listen to music at, but I often find myself listening to movies in the -15 db range. Your AMP setup definitely sounds idea. I'm just not sure that I want or need to go in that direction.

Did you get your AMPs at the same time you got your speakers or did you run without them for a period of time?

Wakefield

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

Originally posted by wakefield103

GregLett,

I am assuming your post had a typo and the amp you used was a RMB1080. Did you use that amp to just drive the left\right?

Wakefield
              Yep typo. RB1080 for L/R. I only had a 2 channel setup.
              Greg

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Admittedly, one reason I have decided on the XT Series vs the 800 Series is the appearance. In comparison, I know the XT's do give up a little, especially in the lower end, to their cousins the 800 Series. But I am hoping the use of a sub can minimize that.

Wakefield
                That's the very reason I auditioned them. when I lived in the Condo that is all the wife would allow in the living room.
                I was quite stunned when I heard them though. I went back for a second at a different store just to be sure I was not imagining what I heard.

The low end was the biggest surprise.
                Greg

Comment

• kmcheng
                  • Jan 2008

I would say that this setup will be used 70% for home theater and 30% of the time for music. I do like my home theater sound loud However when listening to music, I normally listen at a more moderate level unless I am in another area of the house.

Yes I was in the exact same situation not too long ago: the gorgeous looks of XT vs. the gorgeous sound of 805S. I chose 805S in the end, so I am probably too biased here to say this: Believe me, 805S' looks grow on you over time. Judging from the photo you posted, I think your setup is begging for a pair of 805S. Again, I am very biased here.

Another non-sound-related issue with the XT4 is that it is easy to knock over because of its thin profile. Also, the XT series is now only available in black.

If you are using a subwoofer anyway, then you do not need to care too much about the lower range of either speaker. If you do not plan on upgrading/adding the subwoofer, then the XT4 is probably a better choice than the 805S.

I agree with WI Rotel that you will probably need external amp, considering your room size and your 70% HT usage. But hey, let's get the nice speakers first and start enjoying them right away. Upgraditis has no cure, so you can think of getting the external amp as a future fix.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Omar,

At some point I will replace the Yamaha and go with a pre or another AVR that supports the latest video processing (1080p) and audio codecs (DTS-HD, Dobly TrueHD), however I was not planning to upgrade for at least another year.

The Classe CA5100 looks like a great amp. But it is a lot more than I wanted to spend for an amp. It sounds like you are recommending a multichannel amp vs. a 2 channel amp only. Is that correct?

GregLett,

kmcheng,

WI Rotel,

Thanks. Can I ask you what you consider a decent volume level? I don't recall what level I listen to music at, but I often find myself listening to movies in the -15 db range. Your AMP setup definitely sounds idea. I'm just not sure that I want or need to go in that direction.

Did you get your AMPs at the same time you got your speakers or did you run without them for a period of time?

Wakefield
                    I originally bought a RSX 1067, it was not up to the task of 5.1 with the XT. I swapped it for a 1095. Once I upgraded to 7.1 (2 additional XT2's) I bought the 1080. The 1095 drove the 5.1 system with authority but the 1080 really makes the XT4's sing! As to volume levels its relative, I usually listen at around 80dB or so, but the issue is not volume level, its headroom, the more "juice you have the greater dynamic reserves available at any volume level. The issue with the XT is that they are very inefficient speakers, if you consider they impedances that are placed on an amp when driving multiple sets of XT's they can make all but the stoutest of amps cry uncle even at non concert levels. The classe amps or many others like krell, etc can obviously drive them excellently but will cost you dearly and all in all will probably not make them sound any better than the rotels. With 8 series diamonds more extravagant amplification might be warranted but not with the XT. Happy shopping, I'm thouroughly satisfied with my XT's. Most visitors are simply amazed at the quality of the sound, including old audiophile types. Another suggestion is to use 2 PV1's instead of one. The PV1 is wonderfully musical but a little short on oomph compared to big subs, using a pair will provide you all the earth shaking bass you could ever want while still preserving the PV1's tone perfect bass. :T

Comment

• Mig17
                      • Jan 2008

I think you got a lot of things to buy
                      May I suggest of 1098+1077 Rotel

Comment

• wakefield103
                        • Aug 2008

kmcheng,

Thanks. I'm leaning towards just getting the speakers for now and trying them out.

I am planning to place the XT4's aside bookshelves. It is an area of the room that I rearly go near. I would hope knocking them over would not be an issues.

Where did you see\read\hear that the XT's were now only available in black? If that were true, I would be bummed. I was planned to go with the aluminum.

I also was not planning to add another sub right now. Although I have thought about maybe someday adding another Thor IWSUB10.

WI Rotel,

Thanks for the thoughts. But 80 dbs? Really? That is exteremly loud. I think my AVR only goes up to 16.5 db. I do agree with you about the headroom. Unless you have a powerful amp, most AVRs to not have the juice to maintain sound quality and range at higher volumes. I'm beginning to wonder if I just do not turn my system up that loud.

Mig17,

The 1098\1077 combination certainly is the top of the line Rotel setup. However, I was not planning to purchase a pre or Class D amp due to lack of need and cost. As I mentioned, for right now I plan to keep my current Yamaha. Honestly, the 1098 does not impress me. For that kind of money, it should have at least HDMI 1.3 a and advanced audio codec support.

Wakefield

Comment

• dknightd
                          • Mar 2006

I don't know that speaker, and am mostly a two channel person, but if at all possible I'd recommend that the front three speakers be driven by the same (or similar) amp if you want a seamless front sound stage - which means buying at least a three channel amp if you decide the receiver you have is not good enough.

btw, you seem to be confusing real sound levels with what your volume knob shows you - they are not always the same thing.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Hi Wakefield,

well the Classe is sure mure expensive vs. Rotel but I don't no waht you will have/spend...
                            1. you search a 2 channel system or HT?
                            2. The B&W serie XT have a very nice looks, but I dont' can say if are hard to drive but sure ~86bd. / XT4 you need power, not only power, right watt!
                            3. Agree with kmcheng: consider the 805s & htm4s... (with one PV1, or two!!)
                            4. new codec: more company have a right solution! BUTwaht will be the right-one? if you have a ball of glass to see the future...
                            In any case, the BD player today already have a decoder inside ...
                            if it works better than the reciever/pre or the BD-player has everything to prove!

Make a list with what you need (2 channels or HT)
                            Watched after around!
                            One thing at a time. A good system also comes with a piece at a time.

Omar

Comment

• kmcheng
                              • Jan 2008

Thanks. I'm leaning towards just getting the speakers for now and trying them out.
                              Please let us know what you think about them after you have them in place!

I am planning to place the XT4's aside bookshelves. It is an area of the room that I rearly go near. I would hope knocking them over would not be an issues.
                              If you do not have small children or pets then this is probably a not a big issue.

Where did you see\read\hear that the XT's were now only available in black? If that were true, I would be bummed. I was planned to go with the aluminum.
                              The two dealers in my area did not have the aluminum in stock early this year and have since been unable to re-stock them. One of the dealers told me that B&W is not making them anymore.

I was skeptical, because B&W was showing off their wireless version of the XT speakers in aluminum in a trade show earlier this year. Anyway, your dealer may still have some inventory in aluminum finish in stock. Good luck!

I also was not planning to add another sub right now. Although I have thought about maybe someday adding another Thor IWSUB10.
                              With the XT4 you do not need to add a sub right away. That means more fun in the future when your upgraditis kicks in.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                                I don't know that speaker, and am mostly a two channel person, but if at all possible I'd recommend that the front three speakers be driven by the same (or similar) amp if you want a seamless front sound stage - which means buying at least a three channel amp if you decide the receiver you have is not good enough.

btw, you seem to be confusing real sound levels with what your volume knob shows you - they are not always the same thing.
                                Correct :T
                                Normal conversation is 60dB

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

Hy Wakefield,

waht do you think for a set with:

B&W 805s, htm4s

reciever Denon 4308 or so like that for the new codec and a Rotel Rmb 1077?

Clean setup, all what you need and nice look.

Omar

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"