X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edgeyboy
    • Nov 2006

Krell KAV400xi with 802D ?

Anyone tried the Krell KAV400xi integrated with the 802D's ?
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I have 804s and have done a home and away comparison of the 300R (the more expensive amp that the 400 replaced) VS my Conrad Johnson CA200.

My CJ walked away with the comparison. Krell had plenty of power but the CA200 has so much more finesse that brings out the colour. light and shade in the music. Each instruments character shone through and the music was far more engaging.

As a miniumum I think you need to hunt in Classe integrated or CJ control amp territory for those speakers.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

having experienced the krell kav integrated. I think the 802Ds deserve better. it had a go for the throat take no prisoners kind of sound which is perhaps very krell. however I too agree though plenty of power on tap it lacked finesse. perhaps the kav range more for womeone with a ht/av focus rather than 2ch. but either way not a sound I could listen to in comfort and really not sure even a good match for the B&Ws though keeping in mind sound charecter preferences are defintely a pers pref thing.

think the big mcintosh and classe products are likely better options with the 802Ds, plenty of owners wiht that combinations here so I'm sure they could chime in
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

I agree that the KAV-400xi is not enough power for 802Ds. I had a customer that had one with a pair of 803Ds and the Krell wasn't enough power for them. When he upgraded to a Classe CA-2200 the speakers came alive. The bass was MUCH tighter and the top end was more relaxed and open.

Eric

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Need More Power

Edgeyboy,

I agree with the comments made here. A more powerful, refined integrated or even a dedicated stereo amp are needed for the 802D's. I ran with lower power on my 802D's until I got my McIntosh amp. Noticeable improvement and refinement with more power.

There was a thread not to long ago (in the B&W forum) where someone asked nearly the same question. I believe they also had the KAV-400 integrated.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Edgeyboy
            • Nov 2006

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"