X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Took the plunge - CJ CA200 for 804s

Picked up my new Conrad Johnson CA200 today.

It now has 6 hours on the clock and is starting to run in nicely. At this point I am pretty darn happy. My system was a little forward in its sound and not exactly natural sounding (a bit forced). Now I am getting more detail, but in a nice natural unforced way. Bit concerned about what time I will be turning in tonight, just gotta keep pulling out CDs to try.

If you are looking for a nice alternative to the big three amp brands (Classe, McIntosh & Krell) I can recommend Conrad Johnson's CA200 control amp with 804s or similar.
    Attached Files
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Schweeet :T

Njoy, Briz

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Um .........Wow !

Had the Conrad Johnson CA200 amp hooked up to my 804s for just over 2 months now and today I had a little revelation. A friend dropped by with some wires for me to try - an insanely expensive interconnect (1/2 price of amp) plus marginally more sane power cords and speaker cable.

I was pretty happy overall with the system before my friend turned up. I had been a little dissappointed playing my new CD "Me and Mr Johnson" by Eric Clapton on Friday - it was ok but it was a bit ho hum and below expectations - it didn't pull me in much at all and I really like the blues.

Anyway, when my friend turned up we played a few standard audition tracks on the system "as is", then replaced all but one of the wires (we were short a power cord, the Naim 5x/flatcap needs two).

:jawdrop:

Gees, nice CD Mr Clapton. The system just melted away and all that was left was this dynamic crystal clear music and it grooved like you would not believe. This was in a different league to the 804s that I first auditioned on Meridian GO8 and Electrocompaniet in the middle of last year. This was up there with the very best that I have heard. It was doing so many things right, and who said the 804s without a sub can't do good bass, this was sweet.

Now all I have to do is save up for similar wires. I think I can survive until Xmas or new years for the speaker cable...just, and follow that up with some power cords some time next year.

These smaller 800 series speakers are no poor cousin to their bigger brothers. Feed them a good signal and these little gems just keep improving and giving more musical pleasure - and not just with Eric Clapton CDs. If you own these speakers and are not happy your first step should be to look at all the elements upstream.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• brocka
        • May 2007

Hi Briz vegas

Your set up must have sounded pretty specia!!! I have heard the Meridian G08 and ECi5 set up that your are refering to and to my ears that was the best I have heard for the 804/805s.

Enjoy!!!

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by brocka
          Hi Briz vegas

Your set up must have sounded pretty specia!!! I have heard the Meridian G08 and ECi5 set up that your are refering to and to my ears that was the best I have heard for the 804/805s.

Enjoy!!!
          At the time the performance of that setup got me into the 804s but at the same time I thought it was a little choked or veiled- hard to put my finger on what was happening. That niggling doubt slowly went as my 804s ran in at home (demos were run in). I am very tempted to go back and listen to that system again just out of curiosity.

No such reservations with this system at all, it was just so open like a nice Martin Logan/Classe setup I know. Most importantly the music was fun to listen to. Having joined an audio club I am getting used to a variety of good systems. Hearing my system sounding right up there made me feel .... :B

Drawback - my interest in listening now that the cables have gone is fairly low. This may take a few days to recover from. Its much easier hearing a different but better system and then returning to your own as there will always be something to like about "old faithful".

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"