X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claude D D
    • Jan 2003

Krell KAV400xi mmmmm....

Brought home a Krell KAV400xi from our store this weekend to try in my system.It just reaffirmed what I already knew.I WANT ONE!!!!It makes my old Def Techs sing.Larger soundstage, more air ,more control of the bass as well as deeper more defined bass.Much smoother and more balanced than my Rotel RB-1080(as well it should considering the cost difference).For 2 channel I have my 963sa running via the analog outs and for HT I have the Krell set to Thr (theater through)running off my RSP-1068.Gotta take it back to the store tomorrow. :cry: But I'm gonna order one pretty quick. :T http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_KAV400xi.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Claude D D; 22 June 2005, 01:03 Wednesday.
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Lol..., good taste in integrateds.
    I have auditioned one several times with paradigm and Martin Logan's. It is suprising how it has the power to bring the music out of the speakers....

A black one is my favorite, it looks so sleek and simple. :T
    Last edited by Patt; 13 June 2005, 21:32 Monday.
    ......Pat

Comment

• gianni
      • Nov 2002

I listened to one of those today. I want one.
      Last edited by gianni; 18 June 2005, 16:53 Saturday.

Comment

• Claude D D
        • Jan 2003

I ordered one today. :T Now I play the dreaded waiting game.
        So excited!!My first Krell.Next will be the SACD Standard. :T

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

Wow, this guy can suck 1800W if needed! That 1.5X more than the RB1090. In such a small integrated box... with a small fan, it's could be a nice heater!
          There's something appealing about smaller integrated amps, rather than the big boxes we're used too. Too bad Krell doesn't have a mch version.
          The SACD standard is something to dream about, but few can afford it...
          Enjoy!

Comment

• Claude D D
            • Jan 2003

Too bad Krell doesn't have a mch version.
            The Krell Showcase is 125w per channel(in 5/6/7 ch config)of Krell power.I would take this amp over the Rotel RMB-1095. :T

Comment

• csuzor
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Claude D D
              The Krell Showcase is 125w per channel(in 5/6/7 ch config)of Krell power.I would take this amp over the Rotel RMB-1095. :T
              http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_SHCSa.html
              Yes, thanks, the Showcase is probably a fine amp, but I meant an integrated mch amp, like RSX series.
              I thought you were a Rotel sales guy, Claude... What happened?!
              I wonder if the new Rotel digital amps will change your recommendation...

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

How much are these Krells guys? Are these all digital?
                Thanx!!

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

The Krell 400xi (drool, drool) sells new around here for $2500 and I've seen it sell used as low as $1600.
                  ......Pat

Comment

• Claude D D
                    • Jan 2003

thought you were a Rotel sales guy, Claude... What happened?!
                    Rotel is just one of the brands we carry.We also do Krell,Classe,Halcro,Nagra and VTL.
                    How much are these Krells guys? Are these all digital?
                    The KAV400xi retails for $2500 in the USA and $3500 here in Canada.
                    There are not digital amps.Check out the link for more info.
                    Krell KAV400xi info

Comment

• Taito
                      • Sep 2004

Ahh, Halcro. Now THAT is some sweet gear! Based right here in little ol' Adelaide, South Australia.

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Claude D D
                        We also do Krell,Classe,Halcro,Nagra and VTL.
                        Jeez Claude, you definitely handle the good stuff! ;x( Where in western Canada are you? We have a place up in the San Juan islands (between Bellingham and Victoria) that we'll be moving to full-time in the next 2-3 years.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Claude D D
                          • Jan 2003

I sold my Corvette today.So it looks like some audio upgrades are in store.My KAV400xi should be in on Mon or Tues and I'll probably order a Krell SACD Standard pretty quick. :T
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Taito
                            • Sep 2004

Congrats, Claude! Wow. I didn't realise how large the SACD standard was. I've heard very good things about it.... Impressive.... Most Impressive.

-Ben

Comment

• Claude D D
                              • Jan 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!! My 400xi came in today.I showed up at the store just before me.So did our Wilson Watt Puppy 7's(steel blue) and our Sophia's(dark titanium).So I cracked open my 400 and ran it in on the Sophia's all day. :T They sounded great right out of the boxes and just kept sounding better as the day went on.I want Sophia's.That's all I have to say.I sold my Corvette earlier in the week so it may just happen.
                              I popped the top and took a pic of the guts before I fired it into my rack.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• iceman
                                • Oct 2003

I too am thinking of picking up a Krell Kav400xi but am concerned about heat issues. Have you noticed any excessive heat or performance declines because of the heat? I am just being cautious because it seems hard to believe they can fit a class A amplifier capable of so much output into such a small package with relatively no heat sinks (by that I mean compared to all the other massive Krell offerings).

Comment

• Claude D D
                                  • Jan 2003

it seems hard to believe they can fit a class A amplifier capable of so much output into such a small package with relatively no heat sinks
                                  Leave it to the Krell engineers to pull that feat off.
                                  Just give it lots of room to breathe and it will be fine.Any amp that is biased heavy to class A will run hot. Even the big Krells get hot to the touch.I've been running my 400xi for about 4 hrs solid at fairly high volume levels and it's very warm and sounds great.
                                  I had it running at the store on the Wilson Sophia's(4 ohm load rated speakers) for over 6 hrs solid with no degradation in sound quality.
                                  Krell has pretty high standards and would not release a product with the Krell name that couldn't live up to it.Plus they have the same 5yr warranty that all the Krell amps have(not that you'll need it). :T

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Check out all the heat sink area visible in the photo.

Sophia's? Ahhhhh. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Patt
                                      • Feb 2005

Claude

Thanks for the picture, I wondered what made it so heavy...
                                      ......Pat

Comment

• Claude D D
                                        • Jan 2003

Here's a couple more.Nice clean design.Inside and out.

Attached Files

Comment

• Patt
                                          • Feb 2005

The only thing I wonder is why didnt they go with 4 pairs of binding posts on the back? Guess thats why bi-wire cables are made.

Sure is a clean and simple looking inside and out.
                                          ......Pat

Comment

• Claude D D
                                            • Jan 2003

The only thing I wonder is why didnt they go with 4 pairs of binding posts on the back? Guess thats why bi-wire cables are made.
                                            Probably no place to put 'em.Real estate back there is at a premium. :W
                                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"