X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Order placed for Krell & Velodyne

Well, decision time is over and I've placed my upgrade order with my supplier. It has been quite a time of decision-making. Tougher than before - waking at night - mind-changing swings. Now it's done. Here are the changes:

Processor: Krell Showcase - replacing the Rotel RSP-976
    Power amp for rears: Krell KAV-2250 - replacing the Rotel RMB-1075
    Sub: Velodyne DD15 - replacing the Paradigm PS1000
    Interconnects: Balanced (XLR)

The decision to go for the Krell Showcase was based on: A great match to the KAV's, balanced output connectors (which compliment the KAV's) and 192kHz DACS.

The decision to go for the DD15 sub instead of the DD12 was based on: The D15 being able to go slightly lower (of long term importance to me) and it's distortion spec being ever so slightly better.

It will be a 6 to 8 week wait as supplies of "Luxurious Black" Krell units are in short supply here. No matter. Time out from the decision-making process will be a relief.

Thanks to those who've answered questions, provided informative posts and shared opinions on this forum. In so doing you have provided valuable help without which I'd have been well & truly sunk.
    • Nov 2005

HI Shadow,
    Congrats. What are you using to power your front speakers? I may have missed this part of your journey.

I have a black Krell 3250 powering my front channels. I think it is a first rate amp. And the black finish makes my eyes water it's so pretty.

Sparky

Comment

• DelRay
      • Jun 2004

Very nice upgrade. ;x( I have always liked the sound and looks of the Krell gear. Boy, 6 to 8 weeks will feel like an eternity. What speakers are you using?

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Sparky, DelRay

Thanks

I'm using a black KAV-3250 to power the fronts (B&W 803D's + B&W HTMD2). The rears are Nautilus 804's. All speakers in cherrywood. Yup ... it will be a bit of a wait ... but the decision making road was quite agonising. Now I can let the excitement build up some. I love the Krells too.

Comment

• kurtholz
          • Feb 2005

perfect

kurt

Comment

• jayhawk75
            • Apr 2006

what other sub mfgs did you think about. i am in that current stage now and i am finding that it is like choosing paint color there are alot of chips to work your way through. also is the velodyne a correct match in cherry to b&w. svs sent me chips and their cherry is of the old nautilus color.

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by jayhawk75
              what other sub mfgs did you think about. i am in that current stage now and i am finding that it is like choosing paint color there are alot of chips to work your way through. also is the velodyne a correct match in cherry to b&w. svs sent me chips and their cherry is of the old nautilus color.
              Jayhawk, my sub shortlist consisted of B&W and Velodyne. I read up as much as I could and once I'd settled for Velodyne, I then battled to choose between the DD12 & DD15. Imho the DD12 would have cut it ... but greed got the better of me & as the system is for music and movies the DD15 is it. I've chosen the colour black. I have a cherrywood cabinet as well as a cherrywood border around the carpeted wall so the black DD15 should balance it.

Another thing, cherrywood tends to darken with age.

Good luck & don't drive yourself crazy.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Indytown
                • Apr 2005

If I was in the market for a new sub I would eliminate all subs that did not have a EQ feature (dollar permitting).

Indy

Comment

• Gump
                  • Sep 2005

That's a great looking set-up Shadow. That stand looks like it matches your speakers exactly. Very classy.

Congratulations on your new gear!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gump
                    That's a great looking set-up Shadow. That stand looks like it matches your speakers exactly. Very classy.

Congratulations on your new gear!
                    Thanks Gump.

It's about a 6 to 8 week wait until the units arrive (stocks of the black units here are bare) & so I'm playing the waiting game at the mo'. No problem, though, as I'm glad that the decision-making process is over.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

An early surprize!

The Krells have arrived and I'm busy tweaking around with settings. I've noticed a definite sound improvement (more detailed and better imaging) & am happy with the matching pro & amps.

The DD15 sub is expected early December. Don't mind the wait. I have enough toys to keep me busy. :P

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Very very nice setup. I assume that you will post a photo of the system with the Krell gear. Do those power amps get hot tucked away in there?

I could not go with the carpet on the wall. It is a good idea but I would come home to find 2 cats literally climbing the walls. Siamese love to climb, screen doors are another favourite, acoustic walls would be even more fun from a feline perspective.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Nick M
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Man am I jealous on the DD15! That is an incredible sub. Congrats! :T
                          ~Nick

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Thanks, Briz & Nicholas.

I've pushed the amps quite hard a few times this weekend and yes, they do warm up quite a bit. No way near as hot as the FPB's. I think that there is sufficient space above them for air flow though, so I'm not too worried.

What I like about these amps is that they are small, unobtrusive and yet heavy & massive. I simply love these beasts.

If you look at the pic very carefully, you should just be able to make out a tip of the Paradigm PS1000 200watt sub behind the left arm of the chair. That will be replaced by the DD15 when it lands here in Dec. [Edit: Pic now updated to show the DD15].

Also, the balanced cables are on order. I'm using unbalanced at the moment & they are too short. 8O That's the reason that the processor is not centered.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by ShadowZA; 01 April 2007, 06:45 Sunday. Reason: pic updated

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Loving the setup Very nice!

Krell.... mmmmm....
                              B&W

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                Loving the setup Very nice!

Krell.... mmmmm....
                                Thanks, man

Comment

• Armand
                                  • Nov 2005

Hi Shadow and I hope you enjoy those major upgrades. I used to own a Krell Class-A KSA-50 which was built like a tank and sonically terrific. But I was wondering, since you're getting that mighty Velodyne that you might not benefit from pulling your main speakers out in the room somewhat to get a better soundstage and increase ambience.

Either way, it sounds like you're going to have a lotta fun. Cheers.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Thanks, Armand. I don't have too much space to work with but there is still some room for improvement.

Comment

• Charles
                                      • Jul 2006

Beautiful setup Shadow!! I know the sound has to be amazing and your setup is very clean looking. I am demoing a 2250 right now and it made me a believer in Krell, as a matter of fact I am placing an order Tuesday for a Showcase, 3250 and DD-18 sub so I would really value any opinion you may have on your setup or what you might have done differently at this point. The carpet is a nice touch and functional as well.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Thanks Charles

I took quite a time to decide on the processor. Taking into account that I had not planned to use the Krell Current Mode topology, nor do I need any other zones plus I am (and aim to continue) to run a 5.1 rather than a 7.1 system ... it was still a tough decision. I eventually took the decision that the Showcase would suit me better than the HTS 7.1 both in terms of usage and cost. Now that I've been using the system for some weeks ... it is as if a veil has been lifted. The detail is incredulous. There is definition where there was very little before. Soundstage is superb (especially when playing Diana Krall & Stacey Kent cd's in stereo mode). The centre channel during dvd playback is crystal clear. I'm in love with the Showcase/KAV amp synergy.

The DD15 is only due to land around the first week of December. Once I have this new sub, I hope to spend some time setting it up properly. The fact that you're upgrading to a DD18 furthers my confidence in these subs. Man, I can't wait for this sub to get here. One of the first things I hope to do is to experience some low frequency vibrations from the "War of the Worlds" dvd.

Things that I would/might have done differently:

Should I have upgraded the processer before upgrading the power amps? I dunno. Imho, this would have improved the sound significantly up front. Then again, maybe processors are upgraded component wise probably more often than are power amps. Difficult one to answer here. Generally speaking, I see power amps and speakers being of a longer term investment than processors & sources. But hey, in this techno-upwardly-mobile age anything is possible

Things I can think of to improve:

I have done no specific acoustic treatments. This is something I'd like to look into once the DD15 is setup & performing. Maybe something for the corners.

Well, Charles ... you can call be biased :P but I think that you are about to experience enjoyment like nothing else. Good luck with the purchase order. Please feel free to share your opinions once you are setup, even if they are negative. Hey, we all have our likes & dislikes ... but it is always helpful to know what these are. :T

Comment

• Charles
                                          • Jul 2006

Shadow, thank you for the vote of confidence, really helps to support my decision. I demoed a DD-15 last week and it was very impressive to say the least. I spent several hours on setup and tweaking the EQ, then put in chapter 4 of Master and Commander. The cannon shots hit harder than ever and were very instantaneous, then I tried it with some different types of music and instantly I could clearly pick out the bass lines where they were very drone with my DLS5000R and all the boominess dissapperaed. My room is very large with full openings to the rest of the house except the bedrooms along with 9 foot ceilings which is the only reason why I am going with the 18. I think you will love the DD-15 and will be a great match with your Krell setup.

I am running the demo KAV-2250 using the B&K's ref 50 prepro and can clearly see a major improvement over the B&K amps. The bass and detail are amazing and the concerns of being overly bright with my 803s's I've read about dissappeared. It really cleaned up and smoothed out vocals along with adding much detail to the background, I was sold very quickly. I can't wait to get the showcase processor into the mix, my dealer insists I will see even more of an improvement.

I will certainly post my opinions when I get it all set up and do some serious listening. Thanks again for your input, it really helps when someone already has a very similar setup you are looking at and can't fault it.

Comment

• Hallett
                                            • Jun 2006

Hello Charles i wanted to ask how you like the DD-15
                                            I looked & must have missed you post on your new sub.
                                            just wanted to see how you liked it i just put in a order
                                            for a DD-18 . Thanks Hallett :T
                                            Classe ssp-600
                                            Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                                            Classe CDP-100
                                            B&W 802D :T ;x(
                                            Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• Charles
                                              • Jul 2006

I ended up with a DD-18 and very happy with it. I have to watch the wifes glass vases and such on certain movies as they tend to move around. The dog generally leaves the room and don't come back until the shows over. I think you are in for a nice surprise.
                                              Last edited by Charles; 05 April 2007, 13:37 Thursday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Great to know that you're happy with your DD-18 Charles. I'm over the moon with the DD-15. Watching "Lord of the Rings" Trilogy right now ... and the only bit of bother is that I have to pause regularly and go check to see that the house is not cracking at its foundation. :demon:

Man, I love the sub.

Comment

• Charles
                                                  • Jul 2006

I am very happy with my whole setup. I must confess reading the negative threads about the Krell and it's brightness had me concerned. If I did it all over again, I would change nothing.

The Krell/B&W combo is far from bright, just very detailed and dynamic. I feel like I am hearing the whole spectrum and nothing is being hidden like it should be. I would be afraid to add anymore warmth, it would surely mask out the details I key on.

Comment

• kurtholz
                                                    • Feb 2005

Hey Charles

I agree, i read all the time about how bright Krell is, and my system is anything but that, i would describe it as powerful with incredible detail also, i don't think i could go back to anything different, i can't hardly listen to the radio in the car anymore,there is so much detail lacking, just havent figured out how to get those krell monoblocks and 802ds in the big seat of my SL, or the back of my Escalade, hahaha

Kurt

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kurtholz
                                                      Hey Charles

... just havent figured out how to get those krell monoblocks and 802ds in the big seat of my SL, or the back of my Escalade, hahaha

Kurt
                                                      :rofl:

Comment

• Hallett
                                                        • Jun 2006

My plan was to get the DD-15 but decided to get the 18 it will be here in about three weeks i can't wait. it's all your fault Charles :B
                                                        Classe ssp-600
                                                        Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                                                        Classe CDP-100
                                                        B&W 802D :T ;x(
                                                        Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"