X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Thiel & Krell

I spent about four hours at my local hifi shop yesterday listening to various combinations of gear from Paradigm (Signature Line), Thiel, Rotel, and Krell.

After listening to my Signature S4's at home for many hours I have picked up on a couple things I would like to improve upon with my next speakers. The first is not a fault of the S4's, but of my room (being an apartment dweller, I work with what I have). With a pair of 7" drivers, they have great low-frequency extension, but unfortunately with room gain at certain frequencies I notice a bit of bloom with tracks that have material at those problem freq's. This was a major issue I took under consideration when deciding upon my mains. I came almost to the point of a coin-flip between the S2's and S4's. My plan (as with my old home theater) was (and still is) to use equalized subs throughout those problem ranges.

The other nitpick I have is with the high-frequency response with some female vocals (especially in chorus). The first time I heard the Signatures I loved how open and airy the highs were. They also make string and brass instruments sound realistic to the point of reality rather than recording. But I just can't help the bit of edginess I notice with female vocals. Another speaker I strongly considered was the Thiel CS1.6. Technically it's a tower, but it's really a "giant" 36" tall 2-way bookshelf. This speaker to me sounded sonically perfect throughout the entire frequency range, but is very limited in it's low-frequency response having a single 6.5" mid-bass driver. However, what it can produce is as close to perfect as I have ever heard. I still prefer the S4's for their uncanny reproduction of strings & brass, but I have a pile of CD's that contain a lot of female vocals that I've noticed myself avoiding. While missing maybe 5% of that realism with strings/brass, the Thiel CS1.6's are perfect for everything else I have thrown at them. On top of that, I would also be shifting some of the low-freq responsibility to my soon-to-be subs avoiding the need to equalize my mains. They are similar in price to the Paradign S4's, and I may eventually move to 'em later this year.

Secondly, I discovered (for myself anyways) an absolutely amazing piece of gear. Being a fan of the Krell FPB Class-A amps, I've been considering a long-term plan to save up for one and pay cash. Since I was at the hifi shop, I figured that I would torture myself by listening with it for awhile. Unfortunately they sold their FPB models, so I was out of luck. But the salesman set-up some gear from the Krell KAV line. He pulled out this thin (but deep!) box from another rack and brought it over to hook with the Thiel CS1.6's. At first I thought it was just a pre-amp, but it was an integrated amp. It was a Krell KAV-400xi. My previous experience with integrated amps have been less than spectacular. They never pushed or had enough control of the bass/mid-bass, and they sounded thin... almost metallic. I kinda rolled my eyes thinking this was going to be a waste of time... until I heard it! This thing was stunning! The highs were clean just like what I get from my Rotel separates, but the midrange & mid-bass was so much more liquid, fluid, natural if you will. It wasn't "warm", it just seemed to flow effortlessly - transparent. I thought he had it hooked up to something else, so I immediately paused the material and inspected the cables. No... it was coming from that thin little box that looked like a deep digital cable box. I switched between the CS1.6's/S4's, and also played with a few different sources - the Rotel RCD-1072, Cambridge Audio 640C, and Krell SACD Standard. After fiddling and listening, I found the CS1.6's fed by the Krell SACD Standard and 400xi integrated amp to be an incredible combination.

Just for giggles, I decided to try out the KAV separates - the 280p preamp and 2250 amp fed by the SACD Standard player. Strike me down, I actually preferred the 400xi integrated amp! When I told this to the store manager, he said that (and later I further read in the stereophile review) the audio circuits are symmetrical and differentially balanced. The circuit is class-A up to the output stage, and the output is DC-coupled to the speakers. The signal path is short, from the preamp input to the speaker output. I guess the case is so deep to keep the transformer away from everything else (there is a lot of empty space inside the unit between the boards/heatsinks, and transformer). The case is made of aluminum and quite solid. Just amazing how it makes the Thiels sound. It's rated at 200W/ch, but Stereophile found that it was quite underrated, as they got 290W/ch into 8ohms. It doesn't look like it can do what it does, but to me thats an added part of the magic similar to what comes out of a good sub or the soundfield created by speakers with narrow cabinets. I will definetly be moving over to the SACD Standard player and 400xi from Krell!

I think I'm going to continue with the plan to pick up a pair of Velodyne Digital Drives soon, and then swap out my S4's for the CS1.6's and my Rotel stack for the pair of Krells.

Anyhoo, just my experience yesterday. This damn hifi hobby is addictive... always searching for that extra 1% of realism... :lol:

EDIT: A nifty gif of the KAV setups...

~Nick
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Yes, Krell.... :T
    B&W

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
      • May 2004

Nick nice write up. I have heard great things about that Krell Integrated. I currently use the Kav 250a and 250p, predecessors to the 2250 and 280p and love the sound. Not to mention that the 400xi should not break the bank, especially used.
      Steel

Comment

• Nick M
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Called up the Thiel factory today and talked a bit with one of the guys there. He knew exactly what I meant as soon as I mentioned Krell. "You mean the 400xi?" he said. :lol:

Hopefully I'll have the pair of DD's later this winter/spring, and the Thiels/400xi over the course of the summer. The fantastic SACD Standard will require a bit of saving...

Edit:
        Steel - Amazing stuff. I love my rotel separates, but have to give credit where credit is due. That 400xi was simply fantastic paired with the Thiel 1.6's. Listening to my setup today I was forced to listen to a few CD's that sound equally fantastic with my S4's/Rotel Gear - but I have effectively raised the bar for myself and uncrossed my eyes to see the tiny fingerprints my system is leaving on the clarity of my audio library. Damn! :x :B
        ~Nick

Comment

• DelRay
          • Jun 2004

I've been keeping an eye on the Krell 400xi used prices. I was thinking about getting a 2 channel pre with a ht passthrough. But I am also thinking about the 400 and using it's amps. I've also heard the Thiel 7.2. OMG, they're on my ever shortning list of used speakers.

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I switched back and forth a couple times between the CS2.4's and CS1.6's. The 2.4's really need a lot of room, way more than I have in my apartment. I found 10-12' to be the minimum distance, along with another 3' or so behind them. Those puppies have some serious low-end when fed properly, and need lots of room!

I actually prefer the narrow cabinet of the 1.6's. The soundfield they throw is amazing. With both the Rotel and the Krell gear they vanished with a good source from about 7' back. I found the 2.4's from the minimum recommended 8' to be a bit over powering. They didn't "vanish" until I got a good 10-12' back. I also noticed some room interactions even in the large partially-treated auditioning room.

The Krell 400xi is downright amazing. I still can't get over it's small stature though. I started grinning when I heard the CS1.6's and looked over at that 3 or 4" tall box. Magic is the best word I can think of! :T
            ~Nick

Comment

• at_sunset_blvd
              • Jan 2007

Go for it Nick (The KRELLS)! I have an old Krell KAV-300i, Krell 250cd use as a transport coverted by a Krell Stealth d/a (10 years to be exact) & they still sound fantastic although my speakers arent that great (Mission 753's floorstanding) but you know what, just last week I got a new pair of JM Labs 716s & to my suprise they just up the ante a lot more. I just could hear the difference, bass was more tighter & I didnt need my sub (MK V2B) to operate anymore, mid & highs were more detailed already. Well as I said I just felt a very big change so I think the 400xi are more updated than the old KAV's & it's great looking too. Go for it!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
                Hopefully I'll have the pair of DD's later this winter/spring, and the Thiels/400xi over the course of the summer. The fantastic SACD Standard will require a bit of saving...

It shouldn't be long and you can get your Thiels delivered from Crutchfields catalog

(I'm not kidding)

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Glad to see you happy, Nick!
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• ShadowZA
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006

Great write-up, Nick. :T
                    Being a Krell fan myself ... if there is one thing I know that you're gonna do ... and that's ... enjoy!
                    Good luck with your plans.

Comment

• krellfan
                      • Jul 2005

Glad to see a few Krell fans here. I have had 7 krell amps over the years and currently have three Krell FPB 350 Mcx monoblocks in my ht setup. Has anyone heard the new Krell Evo amps?

Comment

• Charles
                        • Jul 2006

Nick, I have the 400Xi and and a DD-18 in my system along with the Showcase and the KAV-3250. I use the 400 in theater bypass for my surrounds but have used it as an integrated and have zero complaints either way. If you like true uncolored and clean detail you can't go wrong. This little box really packs a punch when you need it but is delicate and invisible when it should be.

Comment

• gross30
                          • Jun 2005

Great write up Nick, you can't go wrong with those choices, Glad to see you liked and found something that sounds great. I run the 250A3 for HT,280P with a KAV 300 CD. I love the sound. Hope to upgrade the cd player in the future, but main speakers are next, so it could be awhile.The Krell amp definately has some legs on it. Power to spare. I haven't heard the SACD, but the reviews are good.

Comment

• Herbonbay
                            • Jan 2005

I've gone down an amazingly similar road and I'm glad to hear such positive statements made regarding Thiel. I never feel as if they get the respect they so clearly deserve. My listening room is also on the small side and I was simply never happy with my B&W 804s, as I didn't feel the room allowed them to open up to their true potential. As you said, not a hit on the speakers, they were just too much for the space. I spent more than a month auditioning speakers until I listened to the Thiel CS1.6s The search was over and I've never looked back, never had second thoughts. I should also mention that the lack of second thought after buying and owning audio equipment is very rare for me. Very! I just love the CS1.6s every time I listen.
                            I think the 90dB sensitivity makes the CS1.6s a perfect match for a smaller listening area, they simply get up to full range with a very small turn of the volume knob.

I also came very close to purchasing the KAV 400xi, but I ended up buying the PS Audio GCC 100 Control Amp. Another acquisition that I remain very happy with. If your not familiar the GCC 100 I highly recomend taking a look, or more importantly, a listen.

The one thing that does bother me about Thiel is that the speaker they sell as a center ( I think it's the CSC3) costs more than one CS1.6. I just don't get it? The reason I'm even talking about a center is that the GCC 100 can be integrated into a HT system via HT bypass. I think the 400xi does the same. Herb
                            Herb

Comment

• Nick M
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Herbonbay - I actually have come to prefer a phantom center in small rooms. One thing I can't stand is when people have the tweet/midrange in a center more than a foot out of parallel with the mains. In my last HT setup I used five identical monitors in a semi circle around my room. My center was just 6" lower than the mains, with my 84" Carada screen above. Even then, I often ran the setup as 4.1. I was kind of a 90% Audio/10% DVD guy though (no TV/Cable), so I sold that off this past fall and moved to a strict 2ch setup. I may hook a 1080p LCD up in the future, but I plan to keep with sub-backed 2.0. I appreciate center channels in giant theaters where they better lock dialogue, but on small 120" screens (or less) in living rooms I find a pair of mains to be much more articulate with imaging.

Glad you like the CS1.6's though! To me most B&W's are a bit too warm in the midrange. The diamond tweets and silent cabinets are fantastic, but those Kevlar mids just don't jive with me. They do make almost anything you play on them sound nice though, but they lack a bit of realism to me.

The Paradigm Signatures have just a "you-know-what" hair too much edge with some vocals and passages with heavy high end like lots of cymbals crashing and women topping out with vocals, but they have uncanny realism with guitars. Since I'm an amateur guitar player and a lot of the material I listen to is live acoutic, I'm considering keeping my S4's next to the Thiels for when I'm listening to lots of guitar CD's.

The Thiel 1.6's are just amazing speakers. To me they sound like the Paradigm Signatures with highs that are just a wee-bit softer (and I mean wee-bit). This removes a bit of the airy detail surrounding the strings of a guitar (just a fraction), but also prevents things from getting a bit edgy with other things as mentioned above. Both image and throw a soundfield like all get-out. The 1.6's will also play a bit less with my room acoustics too, as they don't dig as deep as my S4's (something I will appreciate once I get the Digital Drive subs).

Anyhoo, no speaker is perfect. I'm someone that firmly believes different speakers compliment different instruments/singers/music forms. But the Thiels are about the best all-around gear to my ears.
                              ~Nick

Comment

• Herbonbay
                                • Jan 2005

Nicolas- I'd be interested to hear your side by side impressions if you get the S4's next to the CS1.6's, as I've always thought that one of the areas where the Thiels really shine is playing acoustic guitar. And yes, female vocals are spectacular. I love to hear the breath linger beyond the voice.

Your comments regarding a ghost center has me thinking. I'm currently using a Meadowlark Center, a speaker similar in design and philosophy to Thiel, but I'm constantly on the look out for a good used Thiel CSC3. Maybe I'll try the system for awhile without.

The great thing about the PS Audio GCC 100, is that it's part of my HT set up, but becomes a true 2ch system with the punch of a button.

Herb
                                Herb

Comment

• Nick M
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

I actually compared the S4's right next to the CS1.6's a couple times (and with various equipment, including my Rotel stack and the 400xi). The tweet in the Signature line is very detailed - upfront, airy... and unforgiving. The tweet in the CS1.6 sounds almost exactly the same, but is a bit more neutral. As such, some of the minute high-end details are held back a little bit (I guess they really should be), and a bit more un-noticed. This makes the CS1.6 perfect for almost every good recording. But the S4's really bring out the sound of guitar strings as they are just barely held against the frets, harmonics held way up near the body of the guitar, or those high-frequency throat elements of guys like Louis Armstrong where it's a bit raspy and you can almost hear a high pitched whistling as they cease a note. The CS1.6's definetly reproduce these, but not on the same level as the Signatures. The Signatures are kinda like stethoscopes for these things, but when the going gets going and you have female choral sequences or someone going nuts on cymbals it can be a bit too much. As such, I really enjoy the S4's with acoustic pieces, and with tracks with people like Louis Armstrong, Diana Krall, or live recordings where there isn't too much high frequency stuff. You can hear a bit deeper into the soundstage with those "stethoscope" tweets (eg. a person in the back of the arena whistling), but then when the drummer goes nuts bringing down the stage with his cymbals I tend to temporarily turn down the volume a few decibels.

Anyhoo, I think the Thiels are a much more neutral all-around speaker, but I may end up keeping my S4's for some material when I'm trying to learn new songs while fumbling with my Ibanez. :lol:
                                  ~Nick

Comment

• mike_l
                                    • Jan 2007

Hi Nick,

I was surprised to see your post considering your recent purchase of the S4's and the Rotel amp. You seemed so excited! I laughed out loud a few times as you went through your search. I can appreciate your excitement and desire to find the right sound.

I'm considering purchasing either the Paradigm Studio 100 V4's or the Signature S8 V2's. I was recently leaning toward the Studio's (superior price point) but have always been concerned about upper end edginess. I do want to hear the S8 V2's when they arrive. I was also considering a Rotel RMB-1095, Anthem P5, Anthem A5 and others.

A few questions:

Being an S4 owner (apartment room gain aside), do you find the S4's to be a disappointment? How would you rate this speaker now?

How do you feel the Rotel works with the S4's? What type of sound signature have you noticed? Do you feel they work well together? Did you consider purchasing an Anthem amp?

I guess I was surprised to read of your interest to trade your equipment so soon, however, sometimes you need to own it before you know. Anyway, I've appreciated reading your posts and would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

• Nick M
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Just noticed this last post...

I absolutely love my S4's and Rotel stack. The Thiel 1.6's sound almost exactly the same except for a bit more neutral tweet. The midrange and mid-bass sound almost identical. It's really just a bit of a trade-off in the upper range. The Thiel sacrifices a little detail (very little) and accommodates a larger variety of music (such as mentioned above). But then again the Thiels just don't have 100% of the realism the S4's dish out with strings or brass. So it's at the point where we're talking differences in the 2-3% range. But the other reason why I want the 1.6's is that they don't have the same extension as the S4's (allowing me to eliminate "room-boom" by simply having EQ'd subs at those frequencies). I plan on moving to a new pad next summer, so depending on the room size I may just stick with the S4's if the listening space is large enough for me to get those S4's out into the room more. I really am amazed by their reproduction of acoustic guitars and voices. That hint of sharpness with some material may actually be my room... something that might also be reduced/eliminated with a larger listening area.

But the Krell integrated amp is definetly on the gimme-gimme list. It sounds crisp and detailed like the Rotel stack, but the midrange seems to flow a bit more naturally. I can't really attach good buzz-words to it... it just seems more transparent I guess whereas the Rotel's can sound a tad-bit thin (but I don't like using that word because it sounds way to overboard). But it's not like a cuddly tube-amp that sound like liquid chocolate either. I guess you could say the Rotels taste like a fresh blueberry... distinct and delicious... while the Krell tastes like a blueberry you just picked yourself. You can feel it pull from the bush, the firm taut skin, unbruised flesh, and crisp juicy interior that is ready to burst. Or you could use the old "Window" metaphor (or is it a simile?). The Rotel is like looking out of a brand new polished window, whereas the Krell seems like there is no window at all. The Rotel has just a hint of "something" in the midrange obscuring complete clarity... muting the realism a hint. The Krell just seemed like it wasn't even there. The pokes at the Rotel stuff are extremely minor though. I'm perfectly happy with the Rotel Stuff as is, and get lost in the music with the S4's all the time. But after hours and hours and hours and hours of listening you begin to notice that little scuff mark in the door jam, or pull in the insulation on the hood pad, or that tiny bit of dust on the inside of the gauge cluster.

I'l probably end up getting the 400xi, and using my Rotel RCD-1072 until I can find a really good deal on the SACD Standard player (heartbreaking, because I have a bunch of non-hybrid SACD's...).

The pair of Velodyne Digital Drives are still next on my list though. Those will probably be coming this summer. Still in a debate between the DD-10's and DD-12's. All my A/V purchases got pushed ahead a few months due to getting nickel & dimed to death at college this semester (and my savings for continuing my flight training past my crrent license).

Anyhoo, hope that answered some of your questions! :T

One last note... The cabinet makes a huge difference with speakers. The studio line just doesn't have that dead-silent rock-tight clarity that the signature line does. I notice some coloration with the studio line. But certainly they are great values! Given the choice between Studio 100's and Signature S2's though, I'd take the S2's everytime! :yesnod:

The S8's are bad@$$, but you need a serious amount of distance between you and the speakers to get that vertical array to meld cohesively. I'm also of the ilk that prefers monitors and equalized subs in a stereo configuartion too, so I'm biased. You should check out the Thiel 1.6's and 2.4's though if you're interested in the S8's. The 1.6's are about $2500/pr, and the 2.4's are around $4500 if I remember right. They sound remarkably alike to the Signatures, but have a minutely different response that you might prefer. Just a hint more neutral in the tweet. Both companies utilize narrow cabinets that throw a hell of a soundstage though!

Good luck...
                                      ~Nick

Comment

• grit
                                        • Jan 2005

I know I'm coming a little late to this party, but as someone who LOVED Theil's, let me throw another possbility at ya. Aerial Acoustics.

I went from B&W 703's (705's, HTM7) and all matching Rotel gear (1075, 1068, 1060) to Aerial Acoustics speakers (7b's, cc3b, sr3). The only change to the Rotel stack was a 1095 to replace the 1075 (for 200 wpc).

I'm short on time, so I'll just say that the Aerial's had a very similar feeling to them that the Thiel's did. The biggest difference I noticed is that Theil's are VERY directional and positional. You have to put them in just the right spot (which you seem to have found for yourself), and you get a GREAT sweet spot from them. The best part is that the speakers seem to disappear! Which is what they should do. Aerials' have that same feel but are somewhat less positional.

As a side note, for completely different reasons, I've had to get rid of my Rotel gear and I'm moving to a 2-ch system. I was VERY dispondent at this, particularly because my dealer recommended an integrated amp. I thought my love for music was going to be put to a slow, painful death. He plugged that same Krell 400xi into the Aerial 7b's. Long story short, I'm quite happy to be making that change. Haven't decided on my Rotel 1072, or if I'll get a used Krell Showcase DVD (I still watch lots of movies, but I can't have my 2-ch analog music suffering for it).

I'll have them at home for a test run this weekend and I'll try to report back.

Comment

• Nick M
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Yeah from my testing I would recommend the Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player and Krell KAV-400xi Integrated Amp so long as you're not trying to power multiple 10" drivers in a huge room with a speaker efficiency dowmn in the 80's er' something. That is a great combo you can snag between $2500 and $3000 depending on your dealer. Makes a killer 1-2 punch for stereo! :T
                                          ~Nick

Comment

• mike_l
                                            • Jan 2007

Hi Nick,

Good post as usual. I’m glad you’re enjoying your S4’s, they are definitely very nice speakers. Aside from excellent sound, the build quality on the Sigs is awesome, no question. I’m sure the Thiel’s will work out great should you decide to make the change. Perhaps the new Sigs with the Beryllium tweeter would provide the smooth upper end clarity (or neutrality) you seek.

As for me, my interest is in a full floor standing speaker. I have listened to the Thiel’s, but not a serious purchase audition. Partially because my wife doesn’t care for the “look” of the speaker. You will find this will become more of an issue as you progress in life. I would be interested in the CS3.7’s, although I’m not sure the cost (approx. $10,000) would be worth it. They would need to be truly special to justify the price. As it is, I am having a hard time justifying the Sig S8 v2 cost ($6,500) compared to the Studio 100’s. The Studio 100’s seem to offer so much for the price that they can’t be overlooked. I guess this means I need to keep listening until the choice becomes clear.

Concerning the distinctions between Krell and Rotel, the decision seems to be about selecting your favored signature sound and nuances, assuming they provide adequate power and openness for your particular speakers. Thanks for your thoughts and detail regarding their differences. Again, I have read good things about the Rotel and appreciate the price point. I am seriously considering the Anthem A5 or P5 as well. Any thoughts on Anthem amps? My primary desire is clarity and “more” than needed power. I have decided on the Anthem AVM 50 Pre/Pro. At least one decision made!

I’ve seen a couple of your posts on the Velodyn subs. Your primary concern when deciding between the 10” and 12” is speed? Have you considered the JL Audio Fathom 113? This sub has received product of the year and some highly regarded print. The Fathom will probably be my choice. Get those Velodynes soon!

Again, good thoughts Nick.

Mike

Comment

• mike_l
                                              • Jan 2007

Hmmmm, Aerials. I’ll check them out. Thanks Grit. I am considering the Rotel 1095 as well. My interest is 60% movies - 40% music.

Mike

Comment

• Nick M
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

If I buy the Thiel CS1.6's I will more than likely keep the S4's. While I appreciate the slightly more neutral sound of the Thiels, I just can't get over the detail that slightly forward tweet in the S4 brings out of some music.

My primary reason for selecting the Digital Drives is their sound! It's a combination of the rock-tight cabinet, servo-controlled driver, huge power reserves, and of-course the software for adapting the subs to your room and system. As for 10" vs 12", I'm primarily concerned with two things. First is it's capacity for adeqaute acceleration/deceleration with material loaded with heavy transients (different from speed of the cone). Second would be the "sensation" of the sound. While I can't explain it, sometimes large speakers/subs just seem overpowering in small/medium spaces. I'm not talking about having a lumpy frequency response or infrasonic capability (the latter I desire). Like with narrow cabinet mains utilizing multiple 6/7" drivers, I sometimes find that smaller subs just seem more realistic. Could be psychoacoustics... but it's something I definetly notice. It will probably be summer before I get a pair of 'em though.

The 1095 is a great amp, but unless your dealer has some residuals in stock you will need to get one used as Rotel has discontinued the 1095.
                                                ~Nick

Comment

• mike_l
                                                  • Jan 2007

Guys - Has Rotel released info on a 1095 amp replacement?

Mike

Comment

• DL86
                                                    • Sep 2005

Smaller subs may seem more realistic given they can acheive a realistic listening level. If they struggle it will result in distortion or limiting output where a bigger driver may excel, or you could use multiple smaller subwoofers to acheive the desired spl. Although when you say overpowering do you mean as in boomy? I am not so sure how much different a 10" would differ from the 12" given they are both the best 10" and 12" subs available on the market. You can always turn a big sub down where you will struggle to turn up a smaller sub.

David

Comment

• Nick M
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

DL86 - Definetly true about overdriving smaller subs. I had this problem with a single 10" SVS sub in my home theater.

I won't have to worry about this with the DD's though, as they will simply reach a point where the servo limits their output and I will just hit a wall with certain frequencies (which also sounds like crap, but not as bad as a heavily distorted sub). Either way I want headroom without bringing on that "overpowering" sensation.

As far as the "Overpowering" is concerned, it's just a sensation or discontinuity that comes over me when I'm sitting right up next to huge towers or large subs (I sit about 8' from my speakers). It doesn't really bother me when watching movies, but with 2ch it's obvious. I really don't know how or why I feel this. It's not room gain at certain frequencies or simply having the gain cranked up too high.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards the DD-12's. I've got a while before I get them though. Hopefully sometime in July I'll order the pair of 'em to go with the Signature S4's and Rotel stack. Then I can look into picking up the Krell 400xi and possibly the Thield CS1.6's.
                                                      ~Nick

Comment

• DL86
                                                        • Sep 2005

I get that overpowering feeling when my towers are too close from the wall, but take em in a bit and its fine. I think that is the kind of overpowering sound you are talking about.

Also i read your posts regarding the thiel CS1.6, maby if you can also compare them to the up coming paradigm signature v2 series i am guessing the problems you stated with the v1 might have been elimenated with the v2 series considering the tweeter is made from berrylium and mid range driver from a better composite material. I heard the jm labs grand utopia be's that also use a berrylium tweeter and was just sitting there in complete awe at how these speakers sounded, if the paradigm v2 sounds anything like this then it will definatly be a winner.

David

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                          • Jul 2004

First is it's capacity for adeqaute acceleration/deceleration with material loaded with heavy transients (different from speed of the cone).
                                                          Nicholas, could you elaborate on this a bit more? It's not clear to me how the acceleration/deceleration would be different than the cone speed.

I know there was a thread sorta related to that some time ago, and I don't need a full rehash, but a bit of clarification if you please.
                                                          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Nick M
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Nov 2004

DL86 - The S4 V.2's are definetly on my list for auditioning sometime next summer!
                                                            -----
                                                            Whoaru99 - I understand it well but explain it poorly. There are also a lot more variables to consider than just the "swiftness" of the cone. But given the many similarities between each step of the DD product line I think the advantages of a smaller size (10 or 12") for 2ch is a good direction. It's also been found true by many end-consumers.

Anyhoo, the easiest way to explain speed vs acceleration is to use the car analogy. Your "speed" is the current pace at which the car is moving such as 50mph. Acceleration/deceleration is the rate at which your speed is changing. So if you've got the hammer on, your rate of acceleration might be 10mph/sec. Or if on the highway with the cruise control on, your speed might be 70mph, but your acceleration is pretty much zero (you're neither speeding up or slowing down). Apply this to the movement of the speaker cone. A big part of it is the damping from what I've been told. heavily damped setups sound tight and scalpel-like, but they also tend to miss the peaks that can make music sound so dynamic. But like I said (and many have told me), there are a lot more variables to consider than simply cone size/motor/power. Things like the compression of air behind the cone, box volume, etc. I'm not a speaker designer though... we have those type of experts in the DIY section.
                                                            ~Nick

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                              • Jul 2004

Hmmm... I sort of understand what you mean.

I'm using a Paradigm Servo 15v1, and while it goes decently low and I think has decent articulation of the individual notes, it seems very "polite". Not a lot of bite and slam - is this sort of what you mean?
                                                              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2004

What I mean is that I like subs that can slam you out of your chair when thats what the source demands, but can also have distinct separation and cleanliness when it comes to things like Flea going nuts on Bass, or multiple bass components in an orchestra. Then comes the necessity of proper range (I love infrasonics) and SPL capabilities across that range.

So far the 12" Digital Drive is the best at accomplishing these things from my experience. It's added ability to adapt itself to your specific room acoustics and mains through a great pEQ and adjustable point/slope XO's really sets it apart from anything else on the market. I haven't heard the 10" though, so that needs to happen sometime in the future before I unload for a pair.
                                                                ~Nick

Comment

• sirbogey
                                                                  • Mar 2006

Nicholas, after having read your initial post last week I decided to listen to the Krell 400xi. I listened to it today and yes it sounds and looks amazing. I'm thinking of adding it to my current HT setup Rotel-1098, RMB-1075, but am not really sure how the HT bypass works. The guy at the store had no clue and suggested to replace my RSP-1098 with another Krell, but I don't want to do that. I just want to add the Krell 400xi and add a dedicated CD player. Any thoughts on how to do that without losing sound quality? thanks

Comment

• Nick M
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2004

Sorry man, but I can't help you on that one. You would have to read both the manuals from the 400xi and your pre/pro to figure it out.

Glad you liked it though! I honestly had poor expectations for it as he set it up, but was blown away when I heard it in action. It's really one of those hidden-gem/sleeper pieces of gear! :T
                                                                    ~Nick

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2006

If you think that 400xi is awesome which I also know it is, listen to the Concerto integrated from Jeff Rowland it feels well more musical than the krell and also has the clarity and excitement as the Krell, and not to mention the looks are saweeet!

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2004

Response about HT bypass deleted...

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"