X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNKC
    • Jun 2005

Nautilus - update Aldo?

Hey Aldo - since you're the only guy I know who has the snails, I thought I'd post here. It's been a few months now. Have you fully broken in your snails? Any more thoughts on Nautilus vs 800D vs 8xxD?

Cheers!

• Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

Oh yeah.... where's Aldo?!

Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Cambs12
      • Jul 2006

probably hasn't left his listening room since the last report!

Comment

• Ted
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Cambs12
        probably hasn't left his listening room since the last report!
        :rofl: No kidding, and who could blame him!
        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Its the internet so I can pretend to be Aldo if you like.

I'll just race out and get some snails from the garden - well I would if we had any snails -everything is too dry here for fancy things like grass and snails. All you guys with power hungry heat generating class A amps have changed our weather patterns.
          (you are forgiven - I'm sure that you all ticked the box on your power bill to buy renewable energy)

I think most on this forum would like to be Aldo for the day, or at least have access to his listening room.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Its the internet so I can pretend to be Aldo if you like.

I'll just race out and get some snails from the garden - well I would if we had any snails -everything is too dry here for fancy things like grass and snails. All you guys with power hungry heat generating class A amps have changed our weather patterns.
            (you are forgiven - I'm sure that you all ticked the box on your power bill to buy renewable energy)

I think most on this forum would like to be Aldo for the day, or at least have access to his listening room.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

oops
              Last edited by Briz vegas; 02 May 2007, 05:07 Wednesday. Reason: double posting - how do you delete

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                everything is too dry here for fancy things like grass and snails
                Briz, you should move to Byron Bay. It rains there all the time. Well it did all Easter...

Nigel.

Comment

• Aldo
                  • Sep 2005

tonight.......

Comment

• RNKC
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
                    tonight.......
                    Man ... Aldo - you tease us with this waiting game!

At least post another pic to satiate us in the meantime! :B

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

tonight.......
                      Awesome ALDO!!!

Can't wait for what you in store for us.... mere mortals!

Joey :T ;x(
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Aldo
                        • Sep 2005

100 angels!

Hi:
                        First of all I'm going to tell you that I think the Nautilus are not broke in jet!
                        Why? Because I only get to listen to them about 30 min every next day!
                        Why? Babies in town!

Well now lets start with these:
                        These are only MY thoughts, some can agree some not but don't worry I'm just another crazie guy as you!

The first question I'm shure you want to ask is "what about the missing Diamond tweeter" (For those of you who doesn't know the Nautilus have a 15 year old tweeter).
                        Ok I do not missed the diamond a lot, BUT, as a compleate speaker!
                        I think the diamond tweeter is better, YES, and sweeter.
                        The Nautilus Tweeter is in my opinion sharper, more focused but a little harsh! That last one could be my very BAD, BAD enviroment in wich I did not spend a single dollar and where I urgently need to do some research.

Where I do believe the Nautilus is VERY good is in the mids, there is where I can say WOW.
                        I just received The B&W with real world records promo CD an it is heaven!
                        That CD is extremely well recorded and have very good tunes! (hear Joseph Arthur Redemption's son') amazing!

On the bass side I need extra amp power, I was advise to buy bigger amps but..... (will work on that).

The real thing is that the Nautilus sing like a 100 angels; As a whole they are nothing but amazing.
                        There are sometimes when I need to look at the McIntosh amps to look if they are on (they feed the sorround speakers) because I believe the back speakers are on.
                        It's like a sorround sound but in stereo!
                        The soundstage is more than huge!
                        The phantom image is very focus, you can almost see the lips of the singer!

I kind of missed when I had all the 800's diamond tweeters on home theater viewing but......what can I do!
                        I think it is better when you have all matching speakers on HT even though I was a little skeptical first.

The true is that I'm very happy with them!
                        Thanks! :B

Comment

• Joey_V
                          • Jul 2005

Aldo!

Glad to see you are enjoying the babies! I'm pleased to hear about the degree of focus that these Nautili are able to reproduce and image! That sounds like something I would love to get my ears on.

A few questions though....

1. Do you know if BW is able to accommodate upgrades for the Nautilus? I mean, Wilson keeps updating their already discontinued speakers and afford their customers the ability to update their retired speakers.... why not the Nautilus?
                          2. Do you think they are better than the 800D that you replaced?
                          3. If you could do it all over again, would you spend the money and buy the Nautilus all over again?

Thanks!

Joey

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

...............and do they leave little silvery tracks around your living room after it has rained.

At this point Aldo has me thinking I would rather have the 800Ds if that big lotto win came my way. Pity about the 30 minutes also. My pre-amp is still warming up after 30 minutes.

Bigburner - I think our rain migrated south for the Byron lifestyle.

Comment

• Aldo
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Joey_V
                              Aldo!

Glad to see you are enjoying the babies! I'm pleased to hear about the degree of focus that these Nautili are able to reproduce and image! That sounds like something I would love to get my ears on.

A few questions though....

1. Do you know if BW is able to accommodate upgrades for the Nautilus? I mean, Wilson keeps updating their already discontinued speakers and afford their customers the ability to update their retired speakers.... why not the Nautilus?
                              2. Do you think they are better than the 800D that you replaced?
                              3. If you could do it all over again, would you spend the money and buy the Nautilus all over again?

Thanks!

Joey
                              Hi:
                              1.- Yes, the drivers are decoupled from the cabinet (not a single screw) and could be upgraded, the cross over is also upgradable, you chan change a chip that match each driver and you are set. BUT there isn't any upgrade today!
                              2.- Yes I do beleive that they are overal better than the 800D!
                              3.- In a second! Today I beleive they are a bargain!

Thanks!

Comment

• Cambs12
                                • Jul 2006

as they are a bargain,and ideally all speakers should be the same for HT,will you be buying a couple more sets to complete the system?

Comment

• Aldo
                                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                  as they are a bargain,and ideally all speakers should be the same for HT,will you be buying a couple more sets to complete the system?
                                  Yes! Not a bad idea :B

Comment

• Joey_V
                                    • Jul 2005

Yes! Not a bad idea :B
                                    You are one crazy dude! :T :T

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Five snails - WOW

In france that is a good sized entree

Comment

• Aldo
                                        • Sep 2005

Now I just need to know wich back to robe! :B :B :B :B :B

Comment

• PavelL
                                          • Sep 2005

Now I just need to know wich back to robe! :B :B :B :B :B
                                          no banks left... all of them already robbed by you, huh? hard to find, huh?

Comment

• Joey_V
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by PavelL
                                            no banks left... all of them already robbed by you, huh? hard to find, huh?
                                            Heheheheh.... :B .

Comment

• RNKC
                                              • Jun 2005

Interesting update Aldo - thanks! I found your comments about the tweeter (diamond vs Nautilus) most interesting. I've often wondered why B&W didn't update those, considering they more or less killed the regular N series in favour of the D lineup. (Yeah yeah, I know you can still buy 803S and the like, but face it, most of us in a buying mode would go D nowadays.)

Comment

• Aldo
                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RNKC
                                                Interesting update Aldo - thanks! I found your comments about the tweeter (diamond vs Nautilus) most interesting. I've often wondered why B&W didn't update those, considering they more or less killed the regular N series in favour of the D lineup. (Yeah yeah, I know you can still buy 803S and the like, but face it, most of us in a buying mode would go D nowadays.)
                                                The second most expensive speakers from B&W also (as the Nautilus) have metal tweeters! The CT 800, 15K each! Intresting dont you think? :E

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2007

The second most expensive speakers from B&W also (as the Nautilus) have metal tweeters! The CT 800, 15K each! Intresting dont you think? :E
                                                  That's because they started on the design before the diamond tweeter under development and they were going for maximum output as well as sound quality. The CT800 Series can play very loud!!

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                                    That's because they started on the design before the diamond tweeter under development and they were going for maximum output as well as sound quality. The CT800 Series can play very loud!!

Eric
                                                    ive never heard of seen a review of that series... it has been very quiet. my dealer said the subs were daisy chained off the mains...
                                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Aldo
                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi

Eric
                                                      The diamond speakers were realised more than 1 year before the CT800!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2007

The diamond speakers were realised more than 1 year before the CT800!
                                                        I heard about and received info at our store on the CT800 before the 800 Series with the diamond tweeter.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"