X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorgitox
    • Feb 2007

NAUTILUS 801D vs MATRIX 800

Hi, chums!

Question's easy to ask, but maybe not as much to answer. Well, for you.. would you prefer the classic school sound from the big towers (B&W Matrix 800) or the newest kind of sound within the "D" designs, such as the weighty 801D?
    Best regards,

Jorgitox.
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

Jorgitox, have not heard the matrix 800 towers, but have heard the 801d on demo only w/classe set up. Nice to say the least. But I am assuming with all the new research and technology put into the "d" series, it would be an improvement for sure. I have the matrix 801 s3, classe mono's, and the 801d blew them out of the water. Give your ears some pleasure and demo a set with your favorite amp config. You will not be dissapointed. just my honest opinion.

Comment

• Pedro
      • Jan 2006

A friend of mine owns M802 S3, he prefered the 803D, he tells me that the soundstage, detail and bass of the 803D were way better.

Comment

• RNKC
        • Jun 2005

I can't comment directly on the Matrix 800, but I can comment on Matrix 801 vs Nautilus 802. Broadly speaking the Matrix is a more relaxed sound. It's easier to drive as well so you don't necessarily need a top of line amp and associated equipment (though it surely wouldn't hurt to have it).

The Nautilus on the other hand is a much more active speaker. The sound really jumps out at you more. Nautilus is a more analytical speaker and it does make higher demands on the rest of your system.

I kind of compare Matrix and Nautilus with a good quality analogue recording vs a good quality digital recording. You hear much more on the digital side of things, but a good analogue recording still sounds pretty darn good.

Personally I prefer the Nautilus sound, particularly in the mids and highs. But the old Matrix sound is still very nice and certainly above average quality. I don't think you'd be unhappy with a Matrix sound, but you'd certainly wonder what you're missing by not having 801D or even 800D.

Comment

• Pedro
          • Jan 2006

Hello RNKC

The Nautilus 802 you´ve compared, had Diamond tweeter or was the aluminium one???

Just asking because the Diamond 800 speakers, bring a much more relaxed or warm sound

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"