X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
    Why buy quality speakers if you're just going to feed them mp3 audio? Why not Apple lossless, Wav or FLAC? You know the saying - GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

I know people are shoving you through the meat grinder, but I think you are just over eager and indecisive. What you should do is get an inexpensive device like a Squeezebox and stream lossless files from your computer. A cost effective solution to enjoying hifi. As affordable as the 685's are, you are definitely not doing them justice by listening to mp3's with them.

Happy listening.
    Well if you get cd rips from a macbook pro it sounds exactly the same as a good cd so I dont see why not. Also if you d/l music, you can find the straight rips of the cds so you dont lose the quality. Its not like the music is in bluray discs to get the extreme sound effects.

I use a bluray player and like I mentioned before many times I use the speakers for 85%-90% HT and maybe 10% music. So most of the time I feed my speakers with bluray with dts. So I dont call them wasteful and the 805S really does shine there.

And as I recall one person on this thread said that I first said that I used 80% music and 20% HT, what a bunch of BS or that person just is out to get me to twist my words around making the angry mob even bigger.

Comment

• kobestonecold
      • Sep 2007

no worried jjahshik32. Last time when i bought 705s i used your advice and it worked out pretty damn good. Then you upgraded to 805s and said they are the best and that really make me wanna upgrade to 805s as well and here i am today. Going from 805s down to 685s must be hard but i know financial problem can be hard on these expensive hobby. Enjoy what you have and don't need to worry about what other people said.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by kobestonecold
        no worried jjahshik32. Last time when i bought 705s i used your advice and it worked out pretty damn good. Then you upgraded to 805s and said they are the best and that really make me wanna upgrade to 805s as well and here i am today. Going from 805s down to 685s must be hard but i know financial problem can be hard on these expensive hobby. Enjoy what you have and don't need to worry about what other people said.
        You made your decision to first buy the 705s, and then the 805S based on jjahshik32's opinions and expertise?

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

jjahshik32, everyone wants to help... of course. This forum is filled with people who really do enjoy and share each other's valued opinion all the time. But you have to look at it from our point of views. You've started numerous threads in the past few weeks asking questions about speakers and amps, but with every new thread you start (which in same case are in the same day), you change your mind. Not that you're wrong for being fickle... do what you want... but you ask a question, we help. A few hours later, you start a new thread completely opposite to what you just asked, we answer. You've done it repeatly, so at some point everyone thinks "what the hell... why am I going to bother typing anymore advice for him when in a few hours he'll change his mind and ask the opposite question." Do you understand? So forgive us if we start getting rude, but just look at how we are looking at it.

But back to the subject at hand, I think for your wants and needs, you really will be better off by just sticking to the 600 series. Good luck man.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

I can understand that you guys are getting a bit annoyed by my threads and I was a bit confused when adding what amp + which speakers + money was mixed in. But on the positive side I did learn ALOT more here than I'd ever about just reading about amps and speakers and what's important. So I am glad I made the threads and alot of you to answer me and I appreciate it.

Now I know how important preamp is and what an amp can do and I know where to start next time I build my AV system.

I'm glad that somebody actually listened to my advice in the past and I do still agree and dont change my opinion about 805S>705>685.

The 805S is a wonderful bookshelf speaker it surprises me everytime I listen to them that such a small speaker can have that much sound especially the clarity and wide soundstage.

But in the end my financial needs comes first and maybe one day I can and will own the 803D or better yet 802D. But that day will be a long time from now.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my uncertain or confusing needs but in the end I did find out what was best for me.

I do love and believe that b&w are the best speakers in the world and that will not change. Just going to have to enjoy the 685's for a long while and I will slowly upgrade the preamp then to a matching nice amp (both pre/amp will be future proof to match my future target which is at least the 803D and I want both mcintosh pre/amp) and continue to use the 685's until I can move up to 803D or 802D in years later.

But for now my electronics better suits the 685's and will just use that for a long while.

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

Thanks for that, that did think about that as well if that I sell the 805S I'd lose the $$ from the restock fee that I paid + the original cost.
              Originally posted by jjahshik32
              I dont know why everyone is ripping on me, maybe they are just angry because I just got rid of a pair of awesome speakers??

Anyways I sold all 3 speakers locally for a very good price, only lost maybe $100 at most so I'm quite happy. I need the money more anyways and I just demoed the 683 and 685.

Amazing you sold your used 805's & HTM4 and only lost $100.00? You obviously paid MSRP on the trade up from 705 right? A dealer won't offer that kind of deal to down grade since he is stuck with the burden of trying to resell the used equipment. Further more if you sold them privately who would pay that kind of money for used when they can get new and a warranty for the same $$$? And then your dealer has the speakers in stock? No waiting period for shipping?

These threads get crazier by the day.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                • Sep 2007

Hey jjahshik32, don't forget to post the pix of your 685. Later

Comment

• kobestonecold
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                  You made your decision to first buy the 705s, and then the 805S based on jjahshik32's opinions and expertise?
                  kind of :B , but his opinions made me go to the store and listen to 705s and 805s because that time i never heard of 700 or 800 series before and i really want a good pair of high-end speakers.

Comment

• Ken49r
                    • Dec 2007

If you guys cant understand my financial situation and the right speakers for me at the right price, then I dont give a *uck what you guys think.

I dont have money to throw around like the many of you (I wish I do) but I dont. Sometimes I feel as if this club is just a bunch of rich snobby people who cant understand what it is to be in a financial situation.

$4k sounds like chump change to you all but to me that's ALOT of $$. And to me $600 is fair for the quality of the 685s.
                    Nothing rich and snobby about me. I worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get my B&W's. I worked as much overtime as I could. Sold my vacations back to my employer. Cut back spending as much as possible, and not to mention my social life has been on hold.

I started out with my 1st purchase of 602_S3 and LCR600_S3. I upgraded to the 700 series and as recent as last week I am now a proud owner of 805S/HTM4/DS7. My priority was getting the best speaker I could afford and then move on to electronics and cables.

I have heard the 600, 700, and 800 series on my dealers Macintosh setup. Same equipment same wires, and no way would I be happy until I had those 805's in my possession. I may be running them on a Onkyo A/V receiver as a Pre-Pro and Rotel 1095 for now. But from here on down the line everytime I add new equipment or make a minor tweak it will be sweet music to my ears.

I knew nothing about the world of Hi-Fi until I did a google search on B&W speakers and found this forum. For the last year I have been searching the archives and reading all the new posts to get myself informed. I am very impressed with the knowledge and helpful information these members go out of their way to offer all of us. To call any of them a rich snob is a little disrespectful since the same one's you are name calling have tried the most to help you from what I have seen. Even myself as an observer bacame annoyed with all your crazy posts. I kind of got the feeling you were not being serious and were more out to play games and waste time of those who were willing and honestly wanting to help.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble here. Just my 2 pennys worth is all.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                      • Jun 2006

Ken,

Did you deal with Jim at Premiere Home Entertainment for your equipment?

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
                        Nothing rich and snobby about me. I worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get my B&W's. I worked as much overtime as I could. Sold my vacations back to my employer. Cut back spending as much as possible, and not to mention my social life has been on hold.

I started out with my 1st purchase of 602_S3 and LCR600_S3. I upgraded to the 700 series and as recent as last week I am now a proud owner of 805S/HTM4/DS7. My priority was getting the best speaker I could afford and then move on to electronics and cables.

I have heard the 600, 700, and 800 series on my dealers Macintosh setup. Same equipment same wires, and no way would I be happy until I had those 805's in my possession. I may be running them on a Onkyo A/V receiver as a Pre-Pro and Rotel 1095 for now. But from here on down the line everytime I add new equipment or make a minor tweak it will be sweet music to my ears.

I knew nothing about the world of Hi-Fi until I did a google search on B&W speakers and found this forum. For the last year I have been searching the archives and reading all the new posts to get myself informed. I am very impressed with the knowledge and helpful information these members go out of their way to offer all of us. To call any of them a rich snob is a little disrespectful since the same one's you are name calling have tried the most to help you from what I have seen. Even myself as an observer bacame annoyed with all your crazy posts. I kind of got the feeling you were not being serious and were more out to play games and waste time of those who were willing and honestly wanting to help.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble here. Just my 2 pennys worth is all.
                        Fair enough, I guess my lashing back out was calling some people here rich snobs because I still feel that I'm innocent or not just playing around.

I may not look like I'm taking any of this seriously but I do. I'm originally a visualphile and love to tweak and make the hdtv's the best I could.

I finally got to buy the sony bravia xbr4 52" just a couple months before my search of the perfect sound. I guess since I found the perfect t.v. for me I wanted to sonically match it for movies mostly. Then I saw the home theatre store and had a listen at the 602 S3's and was impressed and didnt think much of spending anymore and left.

After having found this forum I keep hearing the 700 series and the 800 series. Then I go and audition the 705S, wow much much more improved than the 600 series. Took home a pair of 705 and then I keep hearing about this 805S that is amazing. So I went back to have a listen and was blown away.

For me I guess buying the 805S got me into the 800 series and at $2500 I thought I'd just go ahead and buy it and wont upgrade anymore. Then to find out that the bass and midrange is a bit lacking for my taste especially after hearing the 803S or 802D especially + mcintosh equipment just wowed the hell out of me. I know a sub would be awesome (but at $2000+ for a sub and especially in a relatively small room doesnt make much sense) but the midrange is what I'm really after and for the full effect sounds.

I just came to the conclusion that if I stick around with the 805S I would waste more money because I'd buy electronics that will match the 805S but if I would upgrade to the 803D or 802D in the future the electronics would not be good enough to drive those speakers.

Since I have the electronics that would better match the 600 series I think it would work out much better for me in the end and not to mention the financial situation I'm in would be heavily relieved at the same time.

I will start to save some money little by little until I can get a great preamp (looking into mcintosh, probably used at the best price/quality) and then save enough and buy a good matching mcintosh amp (also probably used) both pre/amp will have to be more than good enough to run the 802D. And while I use the 685 with these awesome electronics in the future, I will then save enough for the 803D or 802D (probably used at the best price).

But right now paying off some debt is a much more concern to me and the 685 or even the 683 would be what I can afford, but I would go with the 685 instead since it will be much easier to drive with my current electronics.

Comment

• Ken49r
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                          Ken,

Did you deal with Jim at Premiere Home Entertainment for your equipment?
                          I sure do! Him and his wife Kim are great people and very helpful.
                          I can easily spend 2 hours in there every time I go in. Either plopping in a CD or talking with Jim about Hi-Fi. And home demos are never a problem if he has it in stock.

Comment

• Antus
                            • Apr 2008

well, it's very unfortunate that you have sudden financial issues that u have to sell 805s and htm4. I think all 8 series from B&W hold their value very good over time. (even the Matrix 8xx series are trading at 50% of their original price after 15 years or so)

just curious, if you are in such a deep financial situation, why not keep the cash for reserve. rather than downgrade/upgrade that potentially lose money if you do it too often. (especially 6xx series traditionally don't have good resale value, u might lose more money selling 685 than 805)

anyway, that's off topic, enjoy ur new speakers. i think 685 is great value for the money.

Comment

• Allegiance
                              • Sep 2006

Whats up with all the attacking?? Just because I decide to move down to the 600 series and everyone is getting offended? Wow even people I've read in other forums that I was starting to respect is starting to look like a child to me now.

I dont doubt the 805S is an awesome speaker. Its THE best bookshelf speaker I've ever heard and I love the way they look as well. But for right now I just need something cheaper that sounds almost as good and the 685's are it.

I guess after listening to the 803S, 802D's with mcintosh product just made the 805S so much inferior and I think with my financial situation + the price of the 685 for its quality is more than good enough reasons for me to get them instead.

I will start saving for the future to maybe own a pair of 803D or 802D but that will be a long time but I will start saving up slowly for them. So one day I will own them and I want all mcintosh products as well.

If you guys cant understand my financial situation and the right speakers for me at the right price, then I dont give a *uck what you guys think.

I dont have money to throw around like the many of you (I wish I do) but I dont. Sometimes I feel as if this club is just a bunch of rich snobby people who cant understand what it is to be in a financial situation.

$4k sounds like chump change to you all but to me that's ALOT of $$. And to me $600 is fair for the quality of the 685s.
                              Dude, I own 601's. I am hardly rich, trust me.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                • Sep 2006

I guess after listening to the 803S, 802D's with mcintosh product just made the 805S so much inferior and I think with my financial situation + the price of the 685 for its quality is more than good enough reasons for me to get them instead.
                                How is it the 805's sound inferior to the 803S/802D's yet the 685's are ok? :E

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Allegiance
                                  How is it the 805's sound inferior to the 803S/802D's yet the 685's are ok? :E

I never said the 685 was better than the 805S (which your implying). The 685 is what I can afford at the moment.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                    • Sep 2006

I never said the 685 was better than the 805S (which your implying). The 685 is what I can afford at the moment.
                                    But you have(had) 805's, the 685's can't compare. Thats like saying "Well the Ferrari was good, but I think the 70' toyota corolla was much better"

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Allegiance
                                      But you have(had) 805's, the 685's can't compare. Thats like saying "Well the Ferrari was good, but I think the 70' toyota corolla was much better"
                                      Well I wouldnt call the 805S a Ferrari (maybe the 803D/802D) but more of a B&W (ironic!) but my ears have adjusted to the 685 and it sound very nice and I'm still trying to break them in at the moment.

So to me the 685 (a new hybrid car) is serving me very nicely. Also with mp3 music listening (most music) sounds almost the same. But they serve very well on the home theatre side, its actually alot more bass than I thought which I actually like. But the clarity is downed a bit.

But I have to say, for $600 it sounds 80% of what the 805S was able to produce. I also feel that my current electronics didnt give me the 100% performance out of the 805S so the 685 works very well with my current electronics.

Sometimes I do wonder what the 805S would sound like with a mcintosh 252 + c2200 though.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                        • Sep 2006

Sometimes I do wonder what the 805S would sound like with a mcintosh 252 + c2200 though.
                                        Very good, simply put.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Jjahshik32, imho you've done a sensible thing. Having a financial background, I will almost always support the notion that it is best:

1. Not to live beyond your financial means,
                                          2. To try to save as much money as possible, especially if you're young and
                                          3. To get out of debt (and stay out) as quickly as possible.

Good luck and enjoy your 685's!

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                            Jjahshik32, imho you've done a sensible thing. Having a financial background, I will almost always support the notion that it is best:

1. Not to live beyond your financial means,
                                            2. To try to save as much money as possible, especially if you're young and
                                            3. To get out of debt (and stay out) as quickly as possible.

Good luck and enjoy your 685's!
                                            Thanks for that! Thats the rule I'm trying to live and stick by.

Also enjoying the 685! I know they are not the 805S but I guess I was fortunate enough not to hear the 805S connected to awesome electronics because with my current electronics the 685 sounds just as good! :T

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                              • Sep 2007

After having broken in the 685 I have to say is wow.. with mp3 listening I almost dont notice any difference but with cd's I do occassionally miss the tweeters of the 805S.

There is definitely a big difference between the 805S and the 685. Even with my underpowered electronic gear the 805S's tweeter is what I really enjoyed. The bass on the 805S is I dont know how to describe it more refined with more harder thump but the 685 is a bit loose yet has a much louder bass when I need it (which is a bonus for me in movies).

I have to say I'm very impressed with the 685 and especially for the $600 price they sound about 80-85% as what the 805S did (but I'm sure if I had better electronics 805S would win buy a mile). But they go so well with my current amp and preamp, I'm very satisifed! =D

The tweeter is welcomed to me as its not as bright and its the perfect amount.

Especially with movies I welcome the extra bass from the 685 as I dont want to add a sub since my room is relatively small.

In conclusion though I am very glad that B&W had moved the 600 series line to china for manufacturing because these little 685 is really incredible. :E

Comment

• N2siast
                                                • Sep 2007

Did you listen to the 684's?

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by N2siast
                                                  Did you listen to the 684's?

No, but I listened to the 683. And imho didnt think the extra $900 was worth it. It did have a wider soundstage for the demo room which was 3x bigger than my room compared to the 685 but I knew that the 685 would be more than loud enough for my room.

The bass was much bigger of course on the 683 and the midrange was a bit better but the midrange was drowned out most of the time from the bass or low end while playing the x-men movie which I didnt like. I guess I could have turned down the bass on the 683 but to me the 685 sounded the same as the 683 with more clarity minus the bass and was just the perfect size.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                    • Jun 2006

Glad to hear that you are happy with your decision.

If you are listening primarily to MP3's the 600 series is probably a better fit. It will "gloss over" a lot of the shortcommings of the source, which is a good thing. MP3's can sound really thin on the 800 series speakers.

The added bass response is also a nice bonus.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"