Just how important is "midrange" for a movie regarding 685 vs. 683?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Just how important is "midrange" for a movie regarding 685 vs. 683?

Hey guys I'm just curious as I've never owned floorstand speakers before and only monitor speakers and I'm very curious on just how important midrange is in a movie?

The 685's are great but I can afford a 683 at the most and I just want to know that I'm not missing out on anything from not being able use the fst midrange from the 683. Dont get me wrong the 685's are filling up my room very nicely and does a great job but all I've been reading about the past week on the 683's are about their fst midrange is awesome.

I got to listen to the 683 for a little bit before listening to the 685 but the demo room for the lower 600 series was not positioned very well and seemed that the 685 were positioned better than the 683 which were just tucked away in the corner.

Also I remember a member around here named jack667 was so amazed by the 683 and even chose it over the 805S (might of been his electronic setup) but arnt the 683 harder to drive?

I've also heard or seen other threads where some people compare the 683 being pretty close to the 804S and are that impressed.

Anyways its only been a week since I have the 685 and my dealer told me that I can trade in the 685 for what I've paid and I can pay the difference for the 683 and I think my yamaha can handle driving the 683 even if its rated at 200w.
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Sorry, I can't resist: You're changing your mind!? :crush:
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Ted
      Sorry, I can't resist: You're changing your mind!? :crush:

Lol, most likely going to keep the 685 but I guess giving the 683 a chance as I could trade up and pay the difference of the $900 which I can afford right now.

If the 683's are that great (I have to go listen to them once more) then I guess they could last me a good long while (longer than the 685).

I've seen people say that the 683's are just a hair behind the 703 which I've never heard either. And jack667 mentioning that the he doesnt notice much of a difference between the 804S as well! (what really caught my attention). But I did listen to the 804S (and was not really impressed as I thought it sounded the same as the 805S just with a bit more clear midrange + more bass). But the 803S is what really Wowed me.

I did downsize for financial reasons but I can afford the 683 right now at the most. But on the other hand I'm probably going to keep the 685 and save the $900 towards a new amp first.

Just curiosity and some time on my hands and to see if I can get anyone's opinion on the 683s, thats all. :W

Comment

• Allegiance
        • Sep 2006

:rofl: Whatever you do, keep it to one thread! :rofl: Your 805's would have sounded the best! :M

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
          Lol, most likely going to keep the 685 but I guess giving the 683 a chance as I could trade up and pay the difference of the $900 which I can afford right now.

If the 683's are that great (I have to go listen to them once more) then I guess they could last me a good long while (longer than the 685).

:W
          You mean you'll keep them for two weeks instead of one? By the way, jack667 announced that he sold his 683s and moved onto another speaker manufacturer all together.

You may want to do yourself a favor and just enjoy what you have, and stop second guessing yourself by reading this forum so much!

Comment

• N2siast
            • Sep 2007

Hey guys I'm just curious as I've never owned floorstand speakers before and only monitor speakers and I'm very curious on just how important midrange is in a movie?

The 685's are great but I can afford a 683 at the most and I just want to know that I'm not missing out on anything from not being able use the fst midrange from the 683. Dont get me wrong the 685's are filling up my room very nicely and does a great job but all I've been reading about the past week on the 683's are about their fst midrange is awesome.

I got to listen to the 683 for a little bit before listening to the 685 but the demo room for the lower 600 series was not positioned very well and seemed that the 685 were positioned better than the 683 which were just tucked away in the corner.

Also I remember a member around here named jack667 was so amazed by the 683 and even chose it over the 805S (might of been his electronic setup) but arnt the 683 harder to drive?

I've also heard or seen other threads where some people compare the 683 being pretty close to the 804S and are that impressed.

Anyways its only been a week since I have the 685 and my dealer told me that I can trade in the 685 for what I've paid and I can pay the difference for the 683 and I think my yamaha can handle driving the 683 even if its rated at 200w.

I will advise you to invest in a good Subwoofer.

Comment

• jjahshik32
              • Sep 2007

I'm going to keep the 685 as they deliver what I need just fine. I'm just curious about floorstanders speakers especially the 683.

Comment

• jack667
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                You mean you'll keep them for two weeks instead of one? By the way, jack667 announced that he sold his 683s and moved onto another speaker manufacturer all together.

You may want to do yourself a favor and just enjoy what you have, and stop second guessing yourself by reading this forum so much!
                Indeed I did

683 incredible value for money - definitely better than 685 - oh no, what have I said... you're going to change speaker again!!!!

I was wondering, do you actually have any time to listen to your set up? You seem to spend most of your life on this forum. Go and enjoy the music mate..
                B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• jack667
                  • Jul 2007

Plus, wouldn't say my electronics are the problem - Advantage S101 is one of the best integrated amplifiers in the world
                  B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                    • Sep 2007

Lol, Yea I do love the 685 and my current electronics is good for the 685 so I will keep them.

I will just save up for better amp first! :T

Comment

• Tommy
                      • Dec 2006

Lol, Yea I do love the 685 and my current electronics is good for the 685 so I will keep them.

I will just save up for better amp first! :T
                      Great idea. A sub will also be a good addition since you are more into movies.

Comment

• Graham
                        • Feb 2006

You started another thread earlier asking how long speakers last and I was tempted to reply "In your case, probably about two weeks". Damn - I wish I had now!!

Comment

• Allegiance
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Graham
                          You started another thread earlier asking how long speakers last and I was tempted to reply "In your case, probably about two weeks". Damn - I wish I had now!!
                          :rofl:

Comment

• jjahshik32
                            • Sep 2007

"Genius" ops:

At least I made these threads a bit lively lately hehe.

Sorry guys I"m just so new to the hifi and especially B&W speakers. I just love B&W to death!!

Its just so hard to choose which model to buy.. I love the 685,683,805S,804S,803S(especially),803D,802D and not even going to mention the ones that wont ever be in my price range.

I've been listening to my 685's for the past couple weeks for music and especially for movies I absolutely love them.

I'm still surprised on the quality of sound you get out of these at only $600.. sometimes I feel like I have the 805S again. The midrange and Bass especially is amazing on these little speakers as well. I could imagine how good the 683's midrange is.

But the 805S does have a wider soundstage where they completely disappear but the 685 I have to place them correctly for this to happen but with almost the same results. But I do love the bass more on the 685 and feels alot "fuller" as a whole speaker sometimes I feel like I have a floorstand speakers infront of me!

Ok I made the decision to keep the 685 and use them as rears in the future and hopefully the 803S or 803D (more likely 803S) is my future front speakers! :T

No offense but just my opinion and I think the 700 series should be skipped.. I dont know why but they seem to miss something. And especially for the price might as well just save a bit more and jump to the 800 series.

Comment

• Ken49r
                              • Dec 2007

No offense but just my opinion and I think the 700 series should be skipped.. I dont know why but they seem to miss something. And especially for the price might as well just save a bit more and jump to the 800 series.
                              What they were missing in your system were the proper electronics to run them.
                              Didn't you fry the 705 tweeters using an iPod rig or something only two weeks after you bought them? Then you just sold the 805's because you didn't like the synergy your system reproduced.

The 700 series are great sounding speakers. Matching component / cables / speaker makes a huge difference in sound.
                              Last edited by Ken49r; 07 June 2008, 05:38 Saturday.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Ken49r
                                What they were missing in your system were the proper electronics to run them.
                                Didn't you fry the 705 tweeters using an iPod rig or something only two weeks after you bought them? Then you just sold the 805's because you didn't like the synergy your system reproduced.

The 700 series are great sounding speakers. Matching component / cables / speaker makes a huge difference in sound.
                                No it was the 805S tweeters that were fried not the 705. The 705 were fine and did sound awesome.. just compared to the 805S, felt like something was missing.. just dont know how to exactly describe it... felt bland to my ears.

Also it wasn't an iPod (don't even own one), it was the head phone jack connected straight to the tv with my rotel 985 and when I accidentally changed the channel from the actual tv to a white noise channel the tweeters made a real loud screech noise and blew out.
                                Last edited by jjahshik32; 07 June 2008, 12:52 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"