X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shyamalan
    • Sep 2006

HT 683 - 685 system

I'd like to buy a ht system based on 683 or 685 as fronts and 685 as rears.
    The room size is 15 x 21 feets.

If I decide to buy the 683 as fronts, at first I wound't buy a subwoofer.

The main doubt I have is about the central channel. I've read that the htm1 isn't a good speaker so I was thinking about use a 685 as a central. What do you think about this?

Thank you very much!!
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Shyamalan
    I'd like to buy a ht system based on 683 or 685 as fronts and 685 as rears.
    The room size is 15 x 21 feets.

If I decide to buy the 683 as fronts, at first I wound't buy a subwoofer.

The main doubt I have is about the central channel. I've read that the htm1 isn't a good speaker so I was thinking about use a 685 as a central. What do you think about this?

Thank you very much!!
    I just upgraded from 683's and in some ways miss them for their bass response more than their soundstage...mids/highs very boxy sound and not as detailed/articulate as i'd like (i owned them for about 5 mos). If majority of your time is HT, then 683's would be fine but definitely audtion other center channels as I am not particularly satisfied with my HTM61...maybe even consider the CM center. Additionally, depending on w/c sub you go with, i'd definitely audition the 684 as rears (again, only in HT set-up). If you plan on your 2ch listening being more than 40%, try to audition the CM's side-by-side with 683's...the 683 bass response could not overcome it's mid/high shortcomings for me... BLUF: If HT, then 683's. If >40% HiFi, then CM's. Have fun...
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

he's right. the 683's are very bass heavy.
      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR
      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

• Shyamalan
        • Sep 2006

And the 685 as central?
        For the size of my room (15x21) five 685 would work properly? I use to listen to movies at low volumen.
        Thank you

Comment

• dukester
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Shyamalan
          And the 685 as central?
          For the size of my room (15x21) five 685 would work properly? I use to listen to movies at low volumen.
          Thank you
          That might actually work, using the 685 as a center. It may actually sound better than my HTM61. Even better if you decide to go w/5 685's. That would mean you'd have to get a really solid sub (good excuse to get two subs ). Bottom line is to audition. And if later you decide to get some towers, you'd already be set for 7.1
          McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• Shyamalan
            • Sep 2006

And what do you think about the 683 as fronts, 685 as rears (they would be in a bookshelf), a 685 as central and no subwoofer?

Which amp do you recomend me for this system?

Thank you

Comment

• dukester
              • Sep 2010

I think the 683/685/685 set-up will be fine for HT but again, if you have the slightest chance of going more towards HiFi/2ch you must audition the CM's to make sure you wouldn't prefer the CM's openess over the 683's. Aesthetically i'd go with the CM's...Sonically i've auditioned the CM5's and prefer their openess/detail over the 683's. Which speakers have you auditioned? Did your plans for the 804's fall through?

As for amps, are you talking separates or AV Receiver? I assume that your priority is on HT, so will Audessy (room correction) be a priority? What is your budget? If i could do it all over again i would have gone separates but that can get pricey. If you go the AV Rcvr route choices are numerous however Rotel 1560 and NAD T785 were at the top of my list at the $2500-3500 price range as they were most musical amongst Pioneer SC 27, Denon 4810, Marantz and Yamaha (not sure w/c models).

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"