X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

whole new strategy going to downgrade to the 685 or 683 and sell 805s

As much as I love the 805s Im considering selling the the 805s and buying 685 or 683. I just came down to the conclusion that I want floorstand speakers and I hear alot of praise on the 683.

I use 85%-90% ht and I hear that the 600 series are great for $$/performance.

I came to the conclusion that since I mostly listen to music from my itunes collection and mostly watch movies that the 683 might be what Im looking for and for me not to upgrade my pre/amp either and best for best cost.

I can sell the 805s and buy the 683 as my L/R in 2 channel mode and pocket the extra $$. Also I hear the bass is pretty loud and for me (I don't like too much bass anyway) think the 683's bass might do it as I already think the 805s bass is pretty good enough most of the time in my room.

Before making the final decision to sell my 805s I'll have to l
    audition the 683.

What do u guys think? Does anyone have any experience with the 683 and having either moved up to the 805s or even in the same situation?
  • cug
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jjahshik32
    As much as I love the 805s Im considering selling the the 805s and buying 685 or 683. I just came down to the conclusion that I want floorstand speakers and I hear alot of praise on the 683.
    I only heard them shortly for about 5 minutes and concluded that they'd never be a match for my 804S, at least for my taste.

Comment

• btf1980
      • Aug 2007

What do u guys think?
      I think you don't know what you want. I pity your local dealer, your indecisive nature must driving them mad. :lol:

Just take a step back, evaluate your finances, and where you see yourself and your system going in a few years. What exactly is your goal? Where are you taking this? You're all over the place with your posts.
      A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
        I think you don't know what you want. I pity your local dealer, your indecisive nature must driving them mad. :lol:

Just take a step back, evaluate your finances, and where you see yourself and your system going in a few years. What exactly is your goal? Where are you taking this? You're all over the place with your posts.
        I've only been to the dealer 3 times in a row 8-9 months ago for the exchange plus I paid restocking fee every time and that's their job so I would think the dealer better not be bothered by me coming as I paid more money as I came for an exchange~

And I've been there 1 other time for the center piece htm4 just 3 months ago and 1 more time yesterday to have a listen.

So nope not bothering them or they shouldnt be bothered.. Also they dont have a trade in program which they used to..

I'm going to go down on monday to have a listen at the 683. I started out as a hobby and now its becoming a obsession but I'm going to keep it as a hobby and keep it low budget as I can. And if the 683 sounds fuller as a whole speaker for HT then I'll go with those. :T

Not to mention, I wouldnt have to spend so much more to upgrade any of my pre/amp and it will be just around the same level as the 683.

Comment

• kmcheng
          • Jan 2008

I use 85%-90% ht and I hear that the 600 series are great for $$/performance.

I came to the conclusion that since I mostly listen to music from my itunes collection and mostly watch movies that the 683 might be what Im looking for and for me not to upgrade my pre/amp either and best for best cost.

I can sell the 805s and buy the 683 as my L/R in 2 channel mode and pocket the extra $$. Also I hear the bass is pretty loud and for me (I don't like too much bass anyway) think the 683's bass might do it as I already think the 805s bass is pretty good enough most of the time in my room.

Before making the final decision to sell my 805s I'll have to l
          audition the 683.

What do u guys think? Does anyone have any experience with the 683 and having either moved up to the 805s or even in the same situation?
          I remember that before I purchased my 805, I auditioned 684, then 683, and then CM7. (I really wanted a pair of floorstanding speakers because they would have occupied the same real estate in my living room.) My first impression was that the 600 series had more bass than the CM7, but the CM series are more refined. After spending some time listening to the 683, I came to feel that the bass was too loose and felt a little out of control for my taste. Of those three, I liked the CM7 the best because of the clarity and more balanced bass output. The 683 also has FST, but for whatever reason I just did not like its sound as much as the CM7.

I then made the mistake of letting my dealer hook up the 805S. Right out of the gate I can tell that it is in a different league. The 805S does not have FST, but the clarity is even better than that of the CM7. I used a CD with some very challenging soprano passages as reference. The 805S is the only one that does not make the soprano sound "glassy". It does not have the bass output of either the CM7 or the 683, but it has more than enough for my taste. I also have two subwoofers already so I did not care that much about the bass output.

The dealer then played the 804S. I am probably among a very small minority here -- I actually like the 805S better than the 804S. The smaller speaker feels more agile, has better sound stage, and transmits more energy. I still find it very strange, because the 804S should have everything that the 805S has and then some.

All I want to say is that I had no regrets about spending the extra cash to get the 805S. I am glad I did not get the CM7 or 683 because in the long run the frequent buying/selling is going to cost me more. After I got the 805S. I found myself listening to music much more often.

Once I have saved enough money, I upgraded the amp from a Cambridge Audio 5.1 receiver to a Bel Canto integrated amp. Now I enjoy my music so much that my usage changed from 10% listening to 60% listening (vs. HT).

These are only my personal experience. You will of course need to listen to all the speakers yourself to decide.

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by kmcheng
            I remember that before I purchased my 805, I auditioned 684, then 683, and then CM7. (I really wanted a pair of floorstanding speakers because they would have occupied the same real estate in my living room.) My first impression was that the 600 series had more bass than the CM7, but the CM series are more refined. After spending some time listening to the 683, I came to feel that the bass was too loose and felt a little out of control for my taste. Of those three, I liked the CM7 the best because of the clarity and more balanced bass output. The 683 also has FST, but for whatever reason I just did not like its sound as much as the CM7.

I then made the mistake of letting my dealer hook up the 805S. Right out of the gate I can tell that it is in a different league. The 805S does not have FST, but the clarity is even better than that of the CM7. I used a CD with some very challenging soprano passages as reference. The 805S is the only one that does not make the soprano sound "glassy". It does not have the bass output of either the CM7 or the 683, but it has more than enough for my taste. I also have two subwoofers already so I did not care that much about the bass output.

The dealer then played the 804S. I am probably among a very small minority here -- I actually like the 805S better than the 804S. The smaller speaker feels more agile, has better sound stage, and transmits more energy. I still find it very strange, because the 804S should have everything that the 805S has and then some.

All I want to say is that I had no regrets about spending the extra cash to get the 805S. I am glad I did not get the CM7 or 683 because in the long run the frequent buying/selling is going to cost me more. After I got the 805S. I found myself listening to music much more often.

Once I have saved enough money, I upgraded the amp from a Cambridge Audio 5.1 receiver to a Bel Canto integrated amp. Now I enjoy my music so much that my usage changed from 10% listening to 60% listening (vs. HT).

These are only my personal experience. You will of course need to listen to all the speakers yourself to decide.
            Thanks alot for your opinion, I really appreciate it.

I dont think your opinion of the 804S isnt odd. I actually agree with you. When I listened to the 804S it sounded identical to the 805S with a bit more developed midrange (which wasnt really what I wanted and worth the extra $$ for the upgrade) and more bass but I thought the imaging was better with the 805S and I liked the punchiness of the bass on the 805S as well and didnt feel the need to upgrade to the 804S for the price difference and I would much rather add a sub.

But man.. when I auditioned the 803S.. it was in a totally different league.. for some reason the highs and mids were finally on a equal level of power and clarity and especially the mids were crystal clear and not to mention the bass.. man that was the perfect sounding speakers to my ears.. too bad the price tag is not!

And I heard the 802D which was another step up.. but imho I thought the 803S was fairly similar and besides the tweeter and more powerful bass I couldnt tell much difference.

I guess my deal is that I can afford the 803S BUT the electronics to power it would be even more costly..and for a 2nd hobby.. I dont want to end up spending almost 10k when my first hobby in visuals cost me only 4.2k for the sony bravia xbr4! :E

So I came down to the decision of just downsizing the sound for the cost. If I go and audition the 683 and using it with movies sound much "fuller" then I would rather sell the 805S and keep all my current pre/amp to use with the non demanding 683 for $$/performance and be done with it for a long while.

But on the other hand since I'm satisfied with the visuals, I want the sound to be perfectly matched as well...

Only one way to know and that is to go listen to the 683.

Comment

• specialized
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by kmcheng

I have exactly the same experience, except that i will test again 805s against 703. Definitly 805 or 703 are much much better then 683/CM7. And if i have to pick from CM7 and 683, definitly CM7 Even including the fact the CM7 is coloring the sound.. Make the sound softer then in reality..

And i was wondering also, how it's possible 805 to have deeper soundstage then 804..

Darko

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

So I came down to the decision of just downsizing the sound for the cost. If I go and audition the 683 and using it with movies sound much "fuller" then I would rather sell the 805S and keep all my current pre/amp to use with the non demanding 683 for $$/performance and be done with it for a long while.

:roll:

I would not be so sure that the 683 is less demanding on an amplifier. I think you will find the 805 is easier to drive, while at the same time being more revealing. I would also not assume that bigger is better, athough we all have different tastes.

Compare the 805s and the 683 in the shop and take your time. All this jumping around sounds more like retail therapy than putting together an enjoyable system for the important bit - your music and movies.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• jjahshik32
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas

:roll:

I would not be so sure that the 683 is less demanding on an amplifier. I think you will find the 805 is easier to drive, while at the same time being more revealing. I would also not assume that bigger is better, athough we all have different tastes.

Compare the 805s and the 683 in the shop and take your time. All this jumping around sounds more like retail therapy than putting together an enjoyable system for the important bit - your music and movies.
                  I'm trying to find the best bang for buck ratio. I'm even considering the 685 as my main and if those are more than good enough I'll end up getting those!

Yea I just checked the power requirement for the 683 and I'm surprised its at 200W!! :E These must have alot of uhmmph with the right amp!

Comment

• specialized
                    • Apr 2008

I'm trying to find the best bang for buck ratio. I'm even considering the 685 as my main and if those are more than good enough I'll end up getting those!

Yea I just checked the power requirement for the 683 and I'm surprised its at 200W!! :E These must have alot of uhmmph with the right amp!

What is u'r plan? What u want to get? What is u'r budget? What is u'r size room?

If the money are important then go for 685, for the money i think u cant find better speakers around.. My brother made HT with 685/HTM62/686 connected to Denon 3808 and with Rotel 1072, and it's sound amazing in his room..

If the music is more important to u, and u have smalish room, go for CM1 (if my room were up to 15 square metters, i'll get those pair, and actualy i ordered them as back speakers for 805 or 703.

I didnt like 683 at all, and i think is very over rated in the magazines (as first i dont like how it's made it, a lot of small details that i dont like..A lot of non controlled bass... )

1. 685
                    2. CM1.
                    3. CM7
                    4. 805 or 703 (huuuge diference from those speakers from the other, different class). I didnt check above 804 becouse they are power demanding, and also u need proper room to justify the price.. Becouse i dont have them, i didnt bother my self at all..

That's it

Darko

p.s. Depend from room size maybe u need at all some very powerfull electronic for this speakers... My brother have wonderfull sounding sysem, with his Denon 3808 and not power amp at all.. I addedd Rotel 1080, becouse my room is bigger and becouse i decided to go for better speakers.

Comment

• style
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006

@jjahshik32,

Sorry one question:

what do you will (YOU!!) and not what the other in Forum say?

You search a HT system or a 2channel?
                      I think your are a little confused!!
                      (with all respect)
                      ----------------
                      Sell the 805 for go to the 68X Is not a good Idea.
                      2 channel:keep the 805 and buy a new ampli - in place of yahama - and go!
                      ht system:
                      805s as main with htm4s and buy a combo Rsp1069-Rmb1077-1085....
                      rear go with a 685...
                      or
                      sell 805 and buy a 803s second hand and next upgrade the rest.
                      I don't no how much is the budget..
                      BUT make a choice for your pleasure, for what you really need..

Omar

Omar

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Hi jjahshik32,

I'm just wondering if the choice of speakers would become less relevant if you sat down and listened to the music for a while. What do you think?

Nigel.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                          • Sep 2007

COME ON MANNNNNNNNNNNN. PLEASE DON"T SELL 805s. The are the world best stand mount speaker.

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Really a bad idea giving up your 805S. Why get rid of the only piece in your system worth keeping long term? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Comment

• jjahshik32
                              • Sep 2007

Lol, man I have a feeling that I'll keep the 805S around if I go listen to the 685!!

Originally I was going to downgrade for the best $$/performance. I dont want to upgrade my pre/amp anymore.. well I guess I could upgrade my rotel 985 and keep my yamaha for the pre.

If I buy the 685 then those speakers will already get more than enough power to drive them with my current stuff.

As for what's important to me? HT is my #1 priority. As an original visualphile, watching movies is my number 1 priority and I want good sound but doesnt have to be 2000+ expensive and if I can get $600 speakers without noticing a huge difference in the long run (I guess once I sell my 805S and use the 685, my ears will adjust in the long run and will start to sound really nice again?).

Also for music I usually connect my pre to my macbook pro via RCA and listen to itunes (so this is where I'm thinking I want notice much of a difference anyway from an 805S or 685 to use with mp3 listening).

Comment

• Tommy
                                • Dec 2006

Also for music I usually connect my pre to my macbook pro via RCA and listen to itunes (so this is where I'm thinking I want notice much of a difference anyway from an 805S or 685 to use with mp3 listening).
                                In this case, 685 is more than enough for you. With compressed music and Macbook pro's D/A converter, I doubt you can hear a difference. Go for it and enjoy :T

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Tommy
                                  In this case, 685 is more than enough for you. With compressed music and Macbook pro's D/A converter, I doubt you can hear a difference. Go for it and enjoy :T

Thanks for that! But do you guys think the 685 is capable of HT as 2 channel? This is the reason that I wanted to go with floorstanders because I dont really want to add a sub as 805S bass is more than good enough for me in my small room.

I hear that the 685 has a bigger bass than the 805S?

Comment

• N2siast
                                    • Sep 2007

I've got a pair of 685's I will trade for your 805's

Comment

• scanido
                                      • Apr 2006

In some of the OP's other threads he was 80% in movies, now it's 2CH?!?

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by scanido
                                        Yes I am more like 90% movies and I want 2 channel only.

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                          I know I'm really confused, but not as much as him! He was saying before he listened 80% to music, and 20% HT. Now it's 80% HT and 20% music. :huh:

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                                            I know I'm really confused, but not as much as him! He was saying before he listened 80% to music, and 20% HT. Now it's 80% HT and 20% music. :huh:
                                            You got it wrong I never said 80% music and 20% HT its always been 80% HT and 20% music. You are very confused indeed.

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

Now it's 90% HT! :??

Comment

• beden1
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Oct 2006

You got it wrong I never said 80% music and 20% HT its always been 80% HT and 20% music. You are very confused indeed.
                                                I'M CONFUSED????????????????

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                  • Sep 2007

I'M CONFUSED????????????????

Apparently yes.

I've made my decision and I'm going to sell my 805S. I feel using them just for 2 channel HT is a waste of money. Someone else will put them to good use. I'm going to audition the 685 tomarrow and if I like what I hear and for $600 a pair I'll go ahead and buy those.

Comment

• Antus
                                                    • Apr 2008

if you really want to cash in, sell the HTM4s. if you position 805s properly, it should work just as good.

686 and 685 are great speaker for their price. (considering they cost only like $500) u can't beat them in that price catagory.

on the other hand, 683 is at $1600. after listened to them at my local dealer, i think 683 are for those who like to "look" at their speaker than "listen to" their speaker. it's has FST, 2 mushroom, dome tweeter, great to look at, but that's pretty much it.

btw, for apple powerbook, u can buy a airport express. (only $99) and you can wireless transfer iTune to ur speaker. the better the codec, the better the sound. i usually rip my CD at apple lossless, and it sound just as good as a regular cd player.

u can also use mini optical on apple's end, and use ur pre/pro to do the D/A converting.

Comment

• dknightd
                                                      • Mar 2006

do you ever feel like you are going in circles?

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by dknightd

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27337
                                                        Yea that was some months ago~

Now what's concerning me most is the price. I honestly forgot what the 685 sounds like and it will refresh my memory. I'm going to test out some movies with the 685 and if its to my liking I'll go ahead and sell the 805S. Also I will make some money on selling the 805S as well.

I just dont listen to music as much as I used to anymore.

Comment

• Zoran
                                                          • Apr 2005

Guys, don't you see that jjahshik32 is invincible..?? Or that, at least, plays a comic game, pushing you to sweat and respond to his "dilemmas".

Some people around is being truly bored...
                                                          Last edited by Zoran; 19 May 2008, 12:04 Monday.

Comment

• dknightd
                                                            • Mar 2006

jjahshik32,
                                                            This will probably be the last time I reply to one of your threads.
                                                            Unless you are experiencing financial hardship, or have some better use for the money, I encourage you to stop thinking about changing equipment and just enjoy what you have. As you know, the 805 is a very nice speaker. It seems to me all you are doing now is thrashing around. You seem to be going all over the place with no clear reason that I can see. Maybe you have a reason and just have not articulated it in a manner that I can understand. But it seems nothing we can say will help get you to where you want to be - if you even know where that is.

By the time you sell your 805, combined with the restocking fees you have already payed, you would have saved the cost of your original 602 purchase if you would have just kept them. Buying and selling equipment is a money loosing proposition most of the time. If I was in your shoes I'd seriously consider cutting my losses and sticking with what I had - but that is me, I hate buying and selling - I'd rather listen, enjoy, and tweak what I have YMMV.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do. Cheers.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                              • Sep 2007

jjahshik32,
                                                              This will probably be the last time I reply to one of your threads.
                                                              Unless you are experiencing financial hardship, or have some better use for the money, I encourage you to stop thinking about changing equipment and just enjoy what you have. As you know, the 805 is a very nice speaker. It seems to me all you are doing now is thrashing around. You seem to be going all over the place with no clear reason that I can see. Maybe you have a reason and just have not articulated it in a manner that I can understand. But it seems nothing we can say will help get you to where you want to be - if you even know where that is.

By the time you sell your 805, combined with the restocking fees you have already payed, you would have saved the cost of your original 602 purchase if you would have just kept them. Buying and selling equipment is a money loosing proposition most of the time. If I was in your shoes I'd seriously consider cutting my losses and sticking with what I had - but that is me, I hate buying and selling - I'd rather listen, enjoy, and tweak what I have YMMV.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to do. Cheers.
                                                              Thanks for that, that did think about that as well if that I sell the 805S I'd lose the $$ from the restock fee that I paid + the original cost.

But I have made up my mind, as much as I love these 805S and they are the best bookshelf speakers that I've ever heard, I guess I just dont want to justify the $$ and rather go the cheap route in sound. I know that the 685 are not even in the same league as the 805S but for $600 a pair I think I can get used to them. Especially once the 805S are gone and only the 685's are around my hearing will adjust to the 685's sound.

I could also use the money as well, one of my original posts was about downgrading due to money issue. Then I sold some of my other toys and wanted to keep the 805S then the I got bit by the upgrade bug and saw an awesome deal at a pair of 803S for the same price as the htm4+ the 805S and wanted to sell those for the 803S without thinking that I'd need to upgrade my electronic equipment which would cost the same or more than the cost of the 803S.

I appreciate every comment everyone's made to give me an opinion and I read them and think about them. I would keep the 805S if money wasnt an issue but it is for me so the 685 would do me well enough.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• cug
                                                                • Jan 2008

So you should REALLY think about your next purchase. You would have saved a considerable amount of money by going the cheap route from the very beginning. AND you wouldn't have heard speakers that are in a completely different league compared to what you are going to buy.

The 685 might seem to be a bargain as long as you never compare sound quality. And you had a way better speaker at home. Please don't come back in a couple of weeks and ask how you can get your good sound back ...

Comment

• Blessedi
                                                                  • Jul 2006

Since you're a itune person, since you're willing to adapt to a different league of sound quality, since you've got budget issues, and since you're downgrading,... why not downgrade all the way? Sell everything you've got and get a ipod and a Zepellin? Everything solved ! :lol:

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27337
                                                                    I deliberately stayed out of this since the first go around. I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for this train to wreck and the people involved begin to lose their minds. What a joy! :rofl:

(And a big waste of peoples time!)
                                                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Ted
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                                                      I deliberately stayed out of this since the first go around. I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for this train to wreck and the people involved begin to lose their minds. What a joy! :rofl:

(And a big waste of peoples time!)
                                                                      I agree!!
                                                                      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2005

this has gotten ridiculous :roll: ..........but hey the forum has never been so busy....... :lol:

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2007

very ridiculous! how can one expect to be taken seriously or do they?
                                                                          Last edited by Ken49r; 20 May 2008, 01:46 Tuesday.

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2006
                                                                            • 247

I suggest the admins close down previous topics, including this one. Seems like a waste of everyones time.

Comment

• Zoran
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Apr 2005
                                                                              • 113

#39
                                                                              I still think this guy deliberately plays monkey games with naive, well-tempered people around... Solution? Just ignore his posts, that's all.

Edit: Good idea in previous post! Admin should do something normal for such a case and simply filtrate-out all this rubbish of threads...

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2006
                                                                                • 247

#40
                                                                                It's a bit difficult to, I can't believe he has got senior member status! :M

Comment

• Zoran
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Apr 2005
                                                                                  • 113

#41
                                                                                  Gaining rubbish-seniority status overhere isn't quite a big deal, obviously...

Comment

• Allegiance
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2006
                                                                                    • 247

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Zoran
                                                                                    Gaining rubbish-seniority status overhere isn't quite a big deal, obviously...
                                                                                    I relise it doesn't really give you much, I just don't want a new member to come on to the forums and have him reply to a thread with the new member thinking they are getting good advice from a 'senior' member.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2007
                                                                                      • 309

#43
                                                                                      I dont know why everyone is ripping on me, maybe they are just angry because I just got rid of a pair of awesome speakers??

Anyways I sold all 3 speakers locally for a very good price, only lost maybe $100 at most so I'm quite happy. I need the money more anyways and I just demoed the 683 and 685.

The 685 sounded very good to me and especially for HT and the price so now I came home with the pair of 685 and am very happy! Mp3 music from my laptop sounds almost pretty much the same.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2007
                                                                                        • 309

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by Allegiance
                                                                                        I relise it doesn't really give you much, I just don't want a new member to come on to the forums and have him reply to a thread with the new member thinking they are getting good advice from a 'senior' member.

Whats up with all the attacking?? Just because I decide to move down to the 600 series and everyone is getting offended? Wow even people I've read in other forums that I was starting to respect is starting to look like a child to me now.

I dont doubt the 805S is an awesome speaker. Its THE best bookshelf speaker I've ever heard and I love the way they look as well. But for right now I just need something cheaper that sounds almost as good and the 685's are it.

I guess after listening to the 803S, 802D's with mcintosh product just made the 805S so much inferior and I think with my financial situation + the price of the 685 for its quality is more than good enough reasons for me to get them instead.

I will start saving for the future to maybe own a pair of 803D or 802D but that will be a long time but I will start saving up slowly for them. So one day I will own them and I want all mcintosh products as well.

If you guys cant understand my financial situation and the right speakers for me at the right price, then I dont give a *uck what you guys think.

I dont have money to throw around like the many of you (I wish I do) but I dont. Sometimes I feel as if this club is just a bunch of rich snobby people who cant understand what it is to be in a financial situation.

$4k sounds like chump change to you all but to me that's ALOT of $$. And to me $600 is fair for the quality of the 685s.

Comment

• btf1980
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2007
                                                                                          • 704

#45
                                                                                          The 685 sounded very good to me and especially for HT and the price so now I came home with the pair of 685 and am very happy! Mp3 music from my laptop sounds almost pretty much the same.
                                                                                          Why buy quality speakers if you're just going to feed them mp3 audio? Why not Apple lossless, Wav or FLAC? You know the saying - GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

I know people are shoving you through the meat grinder, but I think you are just over eager and indecisive. What you should do is get an inexpensive device like a Squeezebox and stream lossless files from your computer. A cost effective solution to enjoying hifi. As affordable as the 685's are, you are definitely not doing them justice by listening to mp3's with them.

Happy listening.
                                                                                          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"