X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNKC
    • Jun 2005

Need a little help on processor choice

Hi guys. I'm leaning towards upgrading my venerable Proceed AVP2 pre/pro and I need a few recommendations. I'm asking in this forum because we're all B&W lovers and we're all seeking that quality of sound. I could ask elsewhere, but I don't think non-B&W folks would understand the sound I'm looking for!

Rest of system:

N802
    HTM2 (Nautilus)
    N805
    Mark Levinson 432 (for the N802)
    Proceed Amp3
    A variety of sources

My perceived limitations of the AVP2 are:

i) Only 4 S Video inputs
    ii) No HDMI support
    iii) Support for 5.1 surround only

My likes of the AVP2:

a) For 2 channel listening (80% of what I do) it's a wonderful sounding pre-amp.
    b) For 5.1 it's pretty good too

There's a reality though, particularly now that BluRay has won the battle, that HD sources will increasingly be the way to go. I'm noticing as well that more classical music productions are being filmed in HD and hopefully will therefore start coming out in BluRay. HDMI will be a requirement going forward and I rather think 7.1 surround will be as well.

My choices so far include Classe SSP 600 and the new Krell S-1000. Do you guys think these will match well with the rest of my system? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
  • merlinus
    • Feb 2008

You might consider the Classe SSP-800, which is due to be released soon. It has many new features, including HDMI.

I am waiting for it, rather than purchasing the 600.

There is an ongoing thread in the Club Classe forum.
    merlin

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

RNKC,

THe Classe-600 nor the Krell will do HDMI yet. You may want to let us know if HDMI Audio is a firm requirement. It will greatly limit your choices. Also, it would be good to say weather you are willing to wait for more HDMI choices, or weather you want to get something now.

If you are looking for something with HDMI Audio, right now, a couple good choices would the Lexicon 12HD, or the new Denon A1HDCI. Some people also like the Anthem D2.

Darrell

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Another option would be the McIntosh AP1000. It "should" have all the new features your looking for. Released date TBD.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by scanido
          Another option would be the McIntosh AP1000. It "should" have all the new features your looking for. Released date TBD.
          For "features," you can get a $1600 Integra DTC-9.8 as there are few others that exceed its feature set at any price. As for the AP1000, it has been TBD for quite a while. :roll:

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Tommy
            • Dec 2006

Also, AP1000 is ~10K, maybe more.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tommy
              Also, AP1000 is ~10K, maybe more.
              And unavailable. :Z

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ninja12
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                And unavailable. :Z

Kal
                I vote for Anthem Statement D2. It's now 7K, and it comes with Auto Room Correction.

Comment

• RNKC
                  • Jun 2005

Hmm ... I hadn't heard of the Classe SSP 800. After reading the thread in the Classe forum it certainly sounds interesting. Guess I'll have to wait a few months so I can try to test it and the new Krell S-1000 head-to-head. Since I'm trying to build for the future, a few more months wait won't matter.

As an aside, I'm saddened that Mark Levinson is more or less a dead brand now. They make really great equipment, but it's clear that the design team is no longer there. Harmon did a fantastic job at killing all innovation in this brand. I hear that the Levinson / Lexus relationship is up for review this year as well. If Toyota switches brands, I wouldn't be surprised to see Levinson die out entirely. This is pretty much the main reason I'm staying away from getting a Levinson #40 with an HDMI card in it.

Anyhow, thanks for your comments guys. Very helpful!

Comment

• Miroku
                    • Jul 2004

I recommend checking out the Integra 9.8 before making any decision. All because it doesn't cost over 5k doesn't mean it isn't good enough :W

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

I am getting an Anthem D2 in the next week or 2. Its been ordered and I can give you an update.

It is the ONLY amp offering hdmi with upscaling, upsampling of all 5.1 channels, 1080p upscaling and switching, room correction, you can even change your "image" height to coincide with the front of you screen. Its a upscaler, supsampler and processor all in one. Using the Gennum Chip its hard to ignore all of the fine qualities in one unit.

I currently have a mcintosh mx135 but feel it wasn't as sharp or detailed as previous processors I have owned like the lexicon 12B. Its pretty alright, but Anthem is a digital company.

Can't report more until I fire it up and its ordered so it will be here soon

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"