X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Rega P1 for use with B&W 805

I just sold 2,200 unwanted records for $400! i dont want to spend that little on a amp, since i dont think something like a RB-1070 will be sufficent.

So, I am looking to uprgrade my old Yahmaha automatic turntable with shure stylus to a Rega P1 for $300 (It is a demo unit from audioadvisor)

Would this give me any advanced improvements? Would it play records clearer?
  • jack667
    • Jul 2007

2200 for $400?! you were ripped off!
    B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• atchudy
      • Nov 2007

well they took up an entire bedroom, and they were nothing i would listen to souch as southern ethnic music, gospel, soul, musicals.

I took our all of the good music, or music of any value.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Still... I've had offered past a grand for most of my collection of LPs (I have about 800 records). Seriously. Sorry, but Jack is right. You got ripped off. LPs are like old comic books now.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Regardless of the value of the LPs, there have been some reviews of the P1. Here's one from Stereophile:
          For a word that first appeared in print only 35 years ago, prequel has a lot of impact—if only in a commercial sense. The television series Smallville has become a staple of American broadcasting. Film producers gambled millions on the chance that audiences would want to know what happened when Batman began. And while moviegoers have turned their backs on the apparently awful Hannibal Rising, the book of the same name is doing brisk business indeed.

Other budget tables that may be worth considering are the Pro-Ject products. I've got an Expression II with a Shure M97xE and it's a good sounding combo. Speakers are 703's.

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

My local B&W dealer sells Rega as well, I was looking to pickup a P2 over the holidays because the whole store was on sale.

He told me to go with a P3 as whatever they do to the P3 improves sound considerably over the P1 and P2 but then again the P3 was almost twice the price of the P2. I don't remember what the specific improvments are. End result for me was that I didn't buy anything as I couldn't really afford the P3.

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I demoed the P1, P2, and P3.

The P2 sounded a lot better than the P1, but the P3 to me sounded better but not worth the extra cost. (To me that is, it is still a rather nice player).

Anyway, I got my P2 with the Bias 2 Cartridge and I love it! Very happy with it, especially since it is my first Record Player.
              -Joe

Comment

• atchudy
                • Nov 2007

I know everyone has different opinions about music, but I bought the original lot for $65. I took out many valuble good records, including some rare ones such as a promo only Elton John Picture Disk, a unopened original issue of The Doors LA Woman, and Bob Dylan Biograph.

If theres a way to attach an exel file I will show you the 300 I have now? I will take offers for any of them if anyone wants me to email it.

The Important thing is the turntable im using now.

Its an old automatic Yahmaha P-850 with a brand new Shure M97xE. (I used to have a Shure V15V MR or seomthing like that, but the stylus broke).

My amp/reciever for now is a old Sony 777ES.

B&W 805 Speakers.

Lastly, I am having trouble cleaning them on a budget. I have this carbon fiber audioquest brush which is decent, but i think something needs to get deeper.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"