X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Just Acquired a Pair of B&W 805

I just purchased these used for $1,350. They are in perfect condition, and are replacing a pair of 602 S3's.

Right now I have a old Sony STR-DA777ES Receiver, and am possible looking to get a separate amplifier.

I like the Rotel RB-1080, but it is a little out of my price range. What else should I consider?

Also, its a straight 2.0 system in an acoustically poor room and I normally listen to my iPod or Records on an old Yahmaha Turntable.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Welcome to the asylum.

I have an old yamaha TT also but it just gathers dust (don't even have a phonostage). Given your other components I am thinking
    - IPOD is not a good source for hifi - lossey MP3 .....yuck - fine for the train but not for home. Beter off with a file server, lossless files and high quality DAC (we may all end up there one day - it has the potential to beat anything currently available, just read the "society of sound" piece on the B&W site).
    - vinyl is a great medium - maybe upgrade that TT first.
    - If a 1080 is out of your price range (do you mean new or second hand) then either just buy some new music instead or look at your cabling. If you are running a standard issue interconnect you can get some nice improvements from your existing gear with some new wires (not sure that will help MP3 much).

ps suggestion - list your gear in your profile. If you are looking for opinions on upgrades etc it is easier for others to make useful comments if we know what you have (although you have listed most gear in your post). Obviously you should remain anonymous if doing this.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Shyamalan
      • Sep 2006

Hi atchudy. Could you tell us if you're happy with those 805? Are they much better than the 602?

Your oppinion is very interesting for me. Thank you.

Comment

• kobestonecold
        • Sep 2007

Hell yeah man. I listen to 805 705 685 series side by side and can confirm that 805 just little better than 705 and 705 much better than 685. I went with 705 and very happy. :T

Comment

• atchudy
          • Nov 2007

The are much better than the 602 in terms of sound. However getting rid of the fake wood, and the boxy look was a welcome addition.

Comment

• atchudy
            • Nov 2007

How would a Rotel RB-1070 be for powering these?

Comment

• kobestonecold
              • Sep 2007

I am using RB 1080 with my 705 and they are fantastic.

Comment

• atchudy
                • Nov 2007

also, i have seen people with silver conical things in the middle of the speaker. I know they unscrew. Can they be upgraded?

Also should the wood be polished or treated with anything?

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Thats n805 me thinks. I think the consensus was that on the 805S the phase plug does not unscrew (maybe you have the N model). Not game to start playing with mine.

RE the amp - that would be more at home powering the 600 series. Not knocking the Rotel, I am sure it would sound fine but I don't think I would bother with that degree of upgrade.
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by atchudy
                    How would a Rotel RB-1070 be for powering these?
                    I think you'll be fine with the RB-1070. I power my 805S/HTM4S/SCMS with the RMB-1075, which is only 120x5 (as opposed to the RB-1070, which is 130x2). I think the Rotel sounds great on these.
                    Brad

Comment

• atchudy
                      • Nov 2007

at what level would I start to see diminishing returns in terms of buying an amp with these speakers.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI atchudy,
                        I'm not clear about which version of the 805 you actually have. The current version is the 805S. Do you have this speaker or an earlier version? The earlier versions do not have the "S" suffix.

Once this is determined we might be able to better help you.

I have the 805S.

Sparky

Comment

• atchudy
                          • Nov 2007

They are the older 805, not the s.

Comment

• atchudy
                            • Nov 2007

I kind of blew my budget with these speakers, and am unable to tell if a RB-1070 will be a signifigant improvment.

I guess could always get a 2nd later down the line and bridge them, but does this affect quality vs having one more powerful amps?

Comment

• angelface
                              • Oct 2007

I would consider an amp from Cyrus or Naim as a minimum for 800 series speakers
                              in stereo. You can get much more out of the speakers in terms of clarity than with Rotel equipment.
                              Cyrus CD8x --> Cyrus AVMaster 8.0 --> Cyrus Smart Power Plus --> B&W 602S3 / B&W LCR600 / Eltax bipoles

Comment

• atchudy
                                • Nov 2007

what type of price level are we talking about thoose.

I would like to by used and spend around $500. But maybe, just maybe I could double that around christmas time.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"