X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jclyle
    • Feb 2005

Downsizing from N804 to 805?

Im in the process of downsizing my rig. My wife & I have a baby on the way in April,so gone are the days of 200wpc amps and house shakin'. I have switched to a Rogue Audio Tempest II all tube integrated. A new Rega Apollo was added to the mix 2 weeks ago (that is the smooothest player ever!!) I currently have N804 w/ Sound Anchors. They are more speaker than I need at this point. The goal of my system is warmth & details at low listening levels. The N804 need to be turned about 1/2 way up to get some decent sound. Am I crazy to consider downsizing to 805's? My concern is that I wont have any bass at all, do the 805s offer much in that depratment? I listen to mainly rock, 100% 2-channel system. Im also considering Spendor s5e's as they dont require as much juice as the 804s. Have any 2channel users out there had much luck with the 805s? If anyone is looking for a used pair of N804 in Virginia, let me know!
  • jclyle
    • Feb 2005

I should add, my listening room is 12x15 that opens into a 12X18 den...

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI jc,
      At low volumes you won't hear much bass from any speaker. It has nothing to do with the speaker. Rather, it is characteristic of the way our ears respond to sound; we are not linear with volume.

In a famous series of experiments, the researchers Fletcher and Munson (working for Bell Labs, I think) investigated the nonlinear frequency response with volume of human hearing. They came up with a set of correction curves to compensate for our nonlinear bass hearing at low volumes callled, appropriately, the Fletcher/Munson curves. They are the basis for Loudness (not volume) controls on receivers and preamps.

I have 805S's and love them. But they are not cheap and I don't know if they will address your problem. Actually, I don't think you have a problem at all. If you don't want to disturb the baby, turn the volume down. Why would you think that a good, rational listening volume would bother the baby? Instead, it may inspire her to buy a good sound system when she can talk her father into it. Sounds good to me.

Sparky
      Last edited by Karma; 13 February 2006, 10:37 Monday.

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Something else to consider, you may get more detail at lower volume levels out of a different amplifer. Tube amps (from what I understand) are not noted for their power outpyt. Or perhaps a more efficient speaker? I recently heard WATT/Puppy 7's on a set of tube amps (that cost as much as the speakers) at a VERY low volume (lower than normal talking) and was amazed at the detail still present, especially in the low end of the spectrum (albet still quiet).

Comment

• Mark_C.
          • Jan 2003

Simply add a Rel sub to the 804s and you won't need to crank the volume to have quality bass. I use a Rel Storm III with my Nautilus 804s and the combination in my opinion best the Nautilus 803.

Comment

• tec333
            • Jan 2006

j,

My room is a similar setup. Family room where my N805's are, is about 12x18 and it opens to a kitchen which is about 12x16.

To be quite honest I find the 805's too small for the room. I do have a good sub - so it is not really a problem with bass. It is really more of...not enough mids - I guess.

Anyway I don't know if the above made sense but at very LOUD listening levels I am dissapointed with 2 ch with the N805 for my room. I have noticed myself switching it to multi channel stereo as I have a HTM2 that helps this situation. At moderate listening levels (or at least what I consider moderate) the N805 does a good job. And of course N805 and HTM2 have no problems with HT and I have enjoyed them more for this.

Anyway, if you are still thinking of downsizing do you want to trade? As long as you have the 804's in red cherry.

tec
            Attached Files

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI tec,
              From the picture it looks like you have a beautiful room. But I see a problem. I don't see any acoustic treatment at all except for the couch. Just looking at it, I think it must be very bright and loaded with early reflections. I don't understand how you can really get good sound in these conditions with any speaker.

You have already spent a lot of money on your equipment. Why not invest some in tasteful room treatment then decide if you are dissatisfied?

Sparky

Comment

• tec333
                • Jan 2006

It's really a difficult room. What you do not see is right behind that room is the kitchen area and to the left wall is about 20 feet of bay windows. You are right, there are no acoustic treatments in the room besides the couch. (Actually, there is a thick shaggy rug in front of that couch but that is about it). There really is no place to put any acoustic panels/treatments. I have no idea on what to do, I have seen some nice panels and can talk my wife into putting them up in this room. The problem is - there is nowhere to place them.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"