Anyone here know if its a good idea to leave the cover on or off on b & w speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Anyone here know if its a good idea to leave the cover on or off on b & w speakers?

does it collect more dust if you leave the cover off, or is it about the same? The reason i'm asking is because I want to leave the cover off of my 805s because it looks so nice but then I dont want it to build up with alot of dust in there.. also does the speaker produce better sound with the cover off.. I think I noticed it being muffled as to when the cover is off...but just slightly..
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
    does it collect more dust if you leave the cover off, or is it about the same? The reason i'm asking is because I want to leave the cover off of my 805s because it looks so nice but then I dont want it to build up with alot of dust in there.. also does the speaker produce better sound with the cover off.. I think I noticed it being muffled as to when the cover is off...but just slightly..
    The covers are really not for dust but rather to prevent curious fingers and other objects from damaging your drivers, feel free to leave them off. Another bonus is that your speaker will also sound noticeably better.

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

hehe thanks, I never knew what those covers were for.. yea the sound is much clearer after its taken off.. just curious you have them off and for how long and are they pretty much dust free and pretty safe? There are no kids at the house so there wont be any fingers rumaging in the drivers..

Comment

• jack667
        • Jul 2007

Debatable - aesthetically, I prefer the covers on. All those drivers in your face make my room look a mess!
        B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• dmccombs
          • Sep 2006

If you have the 820d or above, you will want to leave the midrange cover off for sure. The speakers sound much better with the metal post instead of the plastic one that hold the cover.

In fact, the other speakers that use a plastic post like the 703s, will sound better if you can get metal ones from your dealer.

Comment

• wgriel
            • May 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
            If you have the 820d or above, you will want to leave the midrange cover off for sure. The speakers sound much better with the metal post instead of the plastic one that hold the cover.

In fact, the other speakers that use a plastic post like the 703s, will sound better if you can get metal ones from your dealer.
            I wasn't aware you could get replacements. I have 703s and I find the grill posts do seem awfully "cheap" - are these replacement grills or some posts that you somehow fit over the plastic posts?

Bill

Comment

• dmccombs
              • Sep 2006

Bill,

"Post" may be the wrong word. I am referring to the Bullet looking thing that screws into the center of the midrange. Om the 80Dd and up speakers, it holds the midrange grill in place. On other B&W speakers it has nothing to do with the grill.

Regards,
              Darrell

Comment

• wgriel
                • May 2006

Ah, thanks for the clarification! That's a phase plug, I believe. It never occurred to me that it could be replaced, but it does make sense.

Bill

Comment

• dmccombs
                  • Sep 2006

Yes, "Phase plug" is the word I was looking for. One night at the local dealer, we replaced the plastic phase plugs with metal ones on several of the speakers and each time the metal ones sounded better.

Comment

• GlidingDutchman
                    • Sep 2007

I like the look of my B&W Preference 6 speakers with the grilles on. Maybe it is the fact that the "B&W" logo is on the grills...

GD
                    :::: The Gliding Dutchman ::::

Comment

• wgriel
                      • May 2006

Yes, "Phase plug" is the word I was looking for. One night at the local dealer, we replaced the plastic phase plugs with metal ones on several of the speakers and each time the metal ones sounded better.
                      Cool!

I might have a chat with my dealer about this. It would be interesting to see if replacement plugs would make a difference with my 703s.

Bill

Comment

• Ted
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
                        Cool!

I might have a chat with my dealer about this. It would be interesting to see if replacement plugs would make a difference with my 703s.

Bill
                        Hmmm, if you do try it, please let us know what you think!
                        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• amdan
                          • Sep 2006

Hi,

It sounds like you took my suggestion to try out upgrading phase plugs with some success.Would you mind letting us know how the sound became better. I eventually upgraded the phase plugs on my 802N and found that it did not make any difference - very dissapointing.

Comment

• Ian D
                            • Jun 2005

Ah, thanks for the clarification! That's a phase plug, I believe. It never occurred to me that it could be replaced, but it does make sense.

Bill

CAREFULL - I was informed by my B & W dealer that the 703's phase plug DOES NOT unscrew and is fixed, if you try to remove it you will damage your speaker

Cheers Ian
                            :^x

Comment

• wgriel
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by Ian D
                              CAREFULL - I was informed by my B & W dealer that the 703's phase plug DOES NOT unscrew and is fixed, if you try to remove it you will damage your speaker

Cheers Ian
                              Heh, well if they don't unscrew, that would put the end to any exploration on my part. I tend to be very careful with my speakers!

Bill

Comment

• wgriel
                                • May 2006

Heh, well if they don't unscrew, that would put the end to any exploration on my part. I tend to be very careful with my speakers!l
                                Update: it looks like they do unscrew on the 703. By the way, they are not plastic on the 703, but made from some kind of metal. Possibly aluminum?

In any case, I'll have to find out if there is any gain in replacing them.

Bill

Comment

• jack667
                                  • Jul 2007

Yeah I'd love to know if it makes any huge difference and if this is possible with the 683 speaker. My Monitor Audio GR20 had a metal phase plug in the midrange, felt very heavy !
                                  B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• caleb
                                    • Aug 2004

Phase plugs

The subgect of whether replacing the plastic phase plug with a metal equivalent has been discussed ad nausium on this forum in previous posts.

To those who are new to this subgect I suggest you search in the archives for these lively discussions.

To sum up - I believe that any differences in sound between the plastic and metal phase plugs were in the ears of the listener.

For what it's worth I made my own from aluminium, (and sold some to members) and I beleive that the metal ones gave a superior sound.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                      • Oct 2003

Regarding the front grill ...

I returned home last night to discover my father-in-law and my boy (2.5yr old) playing cricket in the cinema room with a tennis ball... :E

This was abrutly halted and continued with a sponge ball instead !!! Good fun!

So if you have energetic kids (and outlaws) best leave the grills on is what I say.

FYI - Cricket = ball game with vague similarity to baseball.

Comment

• caleb
                                        • Aug 2004

Steve,

Cricket is a game played with grace - baseball is played by americans, therefore - no similarity!!

Comment

• gostan
                                          • May 2003

Originally posted by caleb
                                          Steve,

Cricket is a game played with grace - baseball is played by americans, therefore - no similarity!!
                                          :agree: Thank G-D my Red Sox play baseball.... :T
                                          Stan

Comment

• Redhawk
                                            • Feb 2007

Go Indians!!!!
                                            RDV-1045 - RMB-1075 - RSP-1069 - RCD-1072 - CM7 - CM1 - ASW 608

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                              • Mar 2006

Why is this about Americans?

Originally posted by caleb
                                              Steve,

Cricket, the only game I know that you can play for five - six days depending on the length of the test match with no result!!

What a waste of time. ODI or Twetny20 makes more sense IMHO, at least there is a winner at the end.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"