X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

DIY dust haters - here's the ticket

Got a new dual mode sander for my birthday/Xmas last weekend.

Can be used as a rotary unit (fast material removal, or for final polishing) or switched to random orbit. You can read more about it at the mfr's site. Didn't paste the link directly for that as it uses frames and doesn't copy correctly.

Also got the vacuum package deal show in the first link. Certainly not for everyone as it is pricey as hell (and give up any notion of discounts anywhere, only available shipped from from festool, everyone else is just an order taker).

But it works abolutely completely as advertised. You can sand a sheet of wood down and wipe your hand across it when finished, and come up with a clean hand. First tool I've ever seen I would use without a dust mask (although with MDF, I'd probably still go the respirator route due to toxicity of the material).

As far as quality of the tool and performance, also absolutely outstanding. I've used quite a few different sanders at work by all the major names, and this toasts them. My little 10 year old porter/cable 333 had died and I was looking for a replacement when I heard of these and started looking into getting one.

Some of the other nifty features beyond sucking up virtually all the dust:

Sanding disk load up is hugely reduced - I will probably never use up the 100 120 grits it came with.

Vacuum is way way quieter than my old shop vac. Don't even feel the need to wear ear protection to preserve my audio investment.

Plug tools into vacuum, and it turns on automatically on tool startup, shuts off after a 10 second delay when you turn off the tool. Vacuum has a 20 amp plug (with supplied 15 amp plug adapter) so it will run any tool of theirs you connect, even a 16 amp router.

Case locks onto the top of the vacuum so you can use it as a tool dolly.

My dad bought their plunge saw, so I will eventually have some comments son that too.

BB
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Their stuff looks pretty cool, but it's a bit $pendy for me....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ten 99
      • Apr 2004

Festool comments...

Their products are not cheap. Not in price. Not in quality.

Their orbital sander (from reviews that I've read over the past two years) are as good as you'll find. Their vacuum module is at least as good as the Fein Turbo II or III, probably better.

They also make a very good jigsaw, and more importantly, a fantastic "plunge saw" --> think circular saw here folks. It is without a doubt the nicest saw of it's type that anyone has used. They are exceedingly good at dust collection with all of their tools. They really make a "system" of tools that are fantastic.

Where this stuff really shines, is if you have limited space and yet you still want to make accurate cuts and with finish saw results, and great dust collection. A person can setup a few good saw horses, a sheet of plywood for a table, a foam board, and go to town on sheet goods.

They also make what is supposed to be a very good little router.

For some folks, possibly even some potential or current DIYer types here, they may not mind swinging the extra money on the tools, because they don't have the space available for larger machines (cabinet saws, etc).

Here's a link you might wanna check out if you're interested in any of their tools, being demonstrated by a real person showing the great results.
      Woodshop Demos
      I don't personally own any of their products, but if I had too much money or a lot less space, I probably would.

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

They also now make a nice BIG router too.

My dad popped for mine, or I would not have been able to get the vacuum.

BB

Comment

• James W. Johnson
          • Jun 2001

Just rent a generator, pack a lunch and take your router and MDF up to the mountains (or woods) for cutting.
          pics

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"