X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Can anyone recommend me a good amp for the 805s

Ok I already ordered a rotel rb-985bx amp but it will be good for now but I want to buy a real good rotel around $1000, maybe a few hundreds more for the 805s and which amp would be perfect?
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Perfect ! :evil: h: 8O

Well as you ask a nice Classe integrated would probably be perfect - like the CAP-2100. I think they go for about $5k. Krell does an integrated (KAV400xi) for about half that - 200w a side. Personally I am using a Conrad Johnson CA-200 (on bigger brother 804s - but you could use it with 805 also). In the US they go for $6.5K although I believe CJ are discounting at the moment. ;x(

For those on a budget there are some nice second hand amps out there by these brands - plus Mcintosh and others of course.

805s are seriously good speakers so spending that sort of money on amplification provides worthwhile results.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
      All of the amps mentioned so far are very good. The 805S speakers are definitely good enough to separate good amps from the almost good. Of the ones mentioned, Classe and Krell are good solid state starting points and produce two different sounds. I would not buy less. For tubes, I like conrad-johnson (CJ) but only at the top of their line. Ther lower priced lines are much more average. If I were going to power my 805S system with tubes (my favorite) I would buy Audio Research (ARC). Both the CJ and ARC products are very expensive but great. I have the same reservations about VTL as I do about CJ.

I almost never reply to questions like this one. Why? Because there is only one way to answer it and it totally depends on you. You must go out and listen. I'm making an exception because you have 805S's and I sense your inexperience.

I have the Krell KAV3250 driving mine. This is a three channel amp with 250W per channel. For music only, I have the Krell KAV280P preamp and a tube DAC provideing the front end signals. I would prefer all tube amps but since I use this system a lot I don't like the idea of tubes wearing out. It gets expensive. I know this problem well. My main system is all tubes (ARC and Aesthetix) and it costs about $2000 to completely retube. It's not something I want to do very often.

Sparky

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

Thanks sparky, yea you sense very well that i'm very very new to the hifi scene and I started buying the 602 s3's and thought it was "good enough" but then I heard the 705's and it was in a way way different league. Even connected to some crappy 40 dollar amp sounded much better than what the 602 s3 had to offer at the moment. But now after being teased by the 705's I believe that there is an even greater sound that I could go after and my lust came upon the 805s. These look like beautiful speakers and I've heard demoed once and it was amazing. I feel like these speakers will take me to heaven =D If I could afford 803's or 804's would be awesome but for my budget I think the 805s will do just fine and adding a nice sub would be great.
        As for the amp, the one I ordered on ebay for $350 is a rotel rb-985bx and I know its like 10 years old but its the only amp I could really afford right now. Its a 2 channel 100watt amp and it should be ok enough to drive these 805s but I do hear these are power hungry speakers.

All in all I think the rotel amp I ordered should be able to pop my cherry of my virgin ears that never heard high ends like the 805s to begin with =D

thanks karma for the advice, but i'm looking into mcintosh amps or rotels only. I've never heard the cj's or the arc but I should give them a listen sometime, I've only heard mcintosh and rotels so only have those to go on. Also I heard from alot of people that rotels go so well with b & w speakers and that they go hand in hand.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

jjahshik32, I think you need to take a step back for a moment and think about where it is you want to go and how you intend to get there. You asked for suggestions on the "perfect amp" and you got several well qualified responses from respected members of this forum. Then later you qualified your statement that only Rotel and McIntosh are within your scope. If you are looking for advice study the answers you are given or take the time to phrase your questions appropriately.

People want to help but they don't want to waste their time doing so. Make sense?
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

Cool i got ya ill look into those amps that were mentioned to me but i just like mcintosh and rotels. But im sure theres better rands out there that will go well with
            the 805s. I just got them in cheery wood and their so gorgeous

Comment

• brocka
              • May 2007

Originally posted by jjahshik32
              Ok I already ordered a rotel rb-985bx amp but it will be good for now but I want to buy a real good rotel around $1000, maybe a few hundreds more for the 805s and which amp would be perfect?
              Hi jjahshik32

I can give you some feedback on three different brands of amps that i have heard with these speakers. I currently own two pairs of 805s in a 5.1 set up but for stereo use here are my experiences:

1. NAD Master Series M3, although this amp has ample power on tap (180w per channel), the sound to my ears didn't get me really excited. Don't get me wrong, it has a nice sounds but i it just didn't make the speakers sing.

2. Arcam AVR350 & P90 power amp in a bi-amped set up (this is my current set up). Although this setup doesn't have massive watts per channel, i find the sound to be very detailed and clear, with a surprisingly amount of good tight bass. I prefer this sound over the NAD.

3. Electrocompaniet ECI-5 two channel channel integrated amp. This amp is used at the dealer where I purchased my speakers from and is the best that I have heard the 805s sound!! They really do come alive with amp and the sound is really warm and powerful. This is currently out of my budget as it is $6k in aussie dollars BUT to my ears is the best out of these three amps.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.

Regards

brocka

Comment

• Nov 2005

Cool i got ya ill look into those amps that were mentioned to me but i just like mcintosh and rotels. But im sure theres better rands out there that will go well with
                Hi, As Reb said, I don't like wasting my time and effort on a question for which you have already made up your mind.

I have only one more thing to say. As a beginner you will make mistakes and waste money. We all have. You will waste more not listening to good advice.

Glad you like your speakers.

Sparky

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

I just have to ask, why do you like Mcintosh and Rotel over anything else? Have you auditioned any of their wares or is it simply name recognition? What is the reason why?

Take it easy, take your time before you make any rash decisions. I sense your enthusiasm and that's great, but the equipment is not going anywhere. They will always be available. You've gone from 602's to 705's to 805s in less than a week. All without a decent amp, you haven't driven the speakers to their full potential. I'm quite certain the 705 would have been adequate for you if matched with the proper amp. Nevertheless, good luck with everything.

How old are you btw?
                  A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                    • Sep 2007

i'm 24 btw =D I just heard a few mcintosh setups and rotels and some yamaha's in the same price range and just thought the b & w sounds better on the two.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                      For tubes, I like conrad-johnson (CJ) but only at the top of their line. Ther lower priced lines are much more average. If I were going to power my 805S system with tubes (my favorite) I would buy Audio Research (ARC). Both the CJ and ARC products are very expensive but great. I have the same reservations about VTL as I do about CJ.
                      Sparky
                      Sparky, love your work and all that, but not so much of the "average" stuff thanks. CJ CA200 is solid state for a start. Ok I am biased, but of the options available to me and with the features/service/price that I was looking for, well there was not alot of competition.

Amplifiers at 50 paces :2guns:

Of course you are right when you say personal taste is king at this level. I have a great deal of respect and very much enjoy the Classe, Krell, Electrocompaniet sound - I just picked a different flavour with its own set of strengths.
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• linuxtx
                        • Apr 2007

i'm 24 btw =D I just heard a few mcintosh setups and rotels and some yamaha's in the same price range and just thought the b & w sounds better on the two.
                        Sure, Rotel and McIntosh blow away a Yamaha receiver, but there are many options in these price ranges which are also great with B&W. While Rotel and McIntosh are both excellent brands, you really should at least look at all of the options so that you know both what you are getting, and more importantly why.

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                          Sparky, love your work and all that, but not so much of the "average" stuff thanks. CJ CA200 is solid state for a start. Ok I am biased, but of the options available to me and with the features/service/price that I was looking for, well there was not alot of competition.

Amplifiers at 50 paces :2guns:

Of course you are right when you say personal taste is king at this level. I have a great deal of respect and very much enjoy the Classe, Krell, Electrocompaniet sound - I just picked a different flavour with its own set of strengths.
                          HI Briz,
                          I'm so sorry that I stepped on your toes. Please forgive me. Of course all my comments are just my opinion and nothing else. We all have our favorites and often we will not agree.

CJ made their name and are mostly known for their tube equipment. Certainly, CJ's Premiere line is top rung and that's what I was referring to. In fact I was not even considering their solid state stuff at all. I should have made that clear and so should have you. I don't know that much about that portion of CJ's product line. It's good to know that the SS stuff is respectable. Because of my ignorance I will defer to your opinion. It's certainly better than mine in this case.

Sparky

Comment

• jjahshik32
                            • Sep 2007

I've heard krell and classe as well too but I just like the rotel and mcintosh and especially rotel for the price on b & w speakers.. just my opinion. But I havnt heard the cj's you guys are talking about and I'll need to hear them now..

Comment

• Russ L
                              • Jul 2006

The RA-1062 integrated from Rotel will set you back $699. A temporary solution. The next up in Rotel is the RC-1070 Pre Amp along with the RB-1070 Amp for $1200 USD. However, for $300 more you can buy the Creek Audio Classic 5350SE amp $1500 and really give those 805s the sound they deserve. Also consider the Electrocompaniet ECl 3 integrated @ $2000 USD or the Moon i-3 SE integrated at the same price. With that setup you'll smoke most hi-fi systems on the planet all at a reasonable price. ;x( True high end on a budget! -Russ
                              Russ

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                • Sep 2007

Thanks russ, I'll consider those amps when i'm in the market to purchasing new ones.. I just received my rotel rb985bx amp and wow at least to my virgin ears these sound incredible.. i'm quite happy with them.. I guess because I havnt had many to compare.. but these are more than good enough for me now.. but in a year when I'm in the market to purchasing new amps I will consider the ones you mentioned above.. hehe copied and pasted them for memory sake =D

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                                  HI Briz,
                                  CJ's Premiere line is top rung and that's what I was referring to. In fact I was not even considering their solid state stuff at all. I should have made that clear and so should have you.
                                  Agreed. My amp only has 50 or 60 hours on it so I am in the early stages of the love affair - still at the "shouting about it from every rooftop" stage. Never thought I would own an amp this good or even in this league.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                    Never thought I would own an amp this good or even in this league.
                                    Why would you think that?

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                      Why would you think that?
                                      I'm on not much more than the average Aussie wage mate.

About 18 months ago I had 705s and a freebie power amp. Spending $8k(AU)on 804s, plus not much less on a suitable CD player, then a further $8k for the amp (even if its RRP is $10.5k AU), was mentally just not an option...and then the sickness set in, fever, the shakes, twitching ears etc. I have basically taken a sane budget and multiplied it by about 4 times. :twisted:

The sky has not fallen in which is good....so I reckon I am pretty lucky to have a set up like the one I have.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

I hear you Britz. I am sure we've all been touched by the same process feelings that you described at one time or another. I believe that there is a final step missing from the tale of your chosen path.

The time will come when you will fall into the comfort zone taking up residence in your front row. At that moment everything you did to put you there will become justified. I have finally reached that point with my system and I reaping the rewards for it. Indeed, it took time and patient and a little fortune and whole lotta courage to make it all possible. Having been exposed to it for about a year now, I realize that I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Congrats Britz! Sounds like you are on your way! :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                          I hear you Britz. I am sure we've all been touched by the same process feelings that you described at one time or another. I believe that there is a final step missing from the tale of your chosen path.

The time will come when you will fall into the comfort zone taking up residence in your front row. At that moment everything you did to put you there will become justified. I have finally reached that point with my system and I reaping the rewards for it. Indeed, it took time and patient and a little fortune and whole lotta courage to make it all possible. Having been exposed to it for about a year now, I realize that I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Congrats Britz! Sounds like you are on your way! :T
                                          RebelMan ... you've put it exactly how it is. :T

The value & appreciation that one has for one's equipment (and sound) in the here & now is, to a large extent, quite dependent upon that which one had before. Where would the wonder of Everest's summit (with NO reference to ML's here ) be if it were not for the treacherous climb to reach it.

Briz, there's but one thing to say ... and that is: "Keep on enjoying, mate!" :T

Comment

• mucke
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Russ L
                                            The RA-1062 integrated from Rotel will set you back $699. A temporary solution. The next up in Rotel is the RC-1070 Pre Amp along with the RB-1070 Amp for $1200 USD. However, for $300 more you can buy the Creek Audio Classic 5350SE amp $1500 and really give those 805s the sound they deserve. Also consider the Electrocompaniet ECl 3 integrated @ $2000 USD or the Moon i-3 SE integrated at the same price. With that setup you'll smoke most hi-fi systems on the planet all at a reasonable price. ;x( True high end on a budget! -Russ
                                            next up after the 1062 amp are 1070 integrated amp.

Comment

• george_k
                                              • Jan 2004

Moon i-3 SE integrated
                                              Russ,

Have your heard the i-3SE they retail for about $2,600 in Montreal but I'm sure I can chew them down closer to $2,000 with the dollar being where it is.

I'm also on the hunt for a sub-$2k integrated and have the Creek Destiny and i-3SE on my short list.

Comment

• wgriel
                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                                                Russ,

Have your heard the i-3SE they retail for about $2,600 in Montreal but I'm sure I can chew them down closer to $2,000 with the dollar being where it is.

I'm also on the hunt for a sub-$2k integrated and have the Creek Destiny and i-3SE on my short list.
                                                If you can get the Moon for that price I'd jump at it. I think that is an absolutely superb amp, and it's the one that I want to eventually get. From my listening, it's a wonderful combo with B&W as well.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"