X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Ok so tomarrow I will forsure get the 805s anyone recommend a good sub

I wanted to know which sub from b & w (preferably a lower budget) acceptable with the 805s?? I'm looking at the B&W ASW600 10" Active Subwoofer 150 WATT for $500 and my budgets a bit tight after exchanging and paying the difference and sadly paying the restocking fee. Or maybe the B&W ASW650 12" Active Subwoofer 200 WATT for $700??
  • Miroku
    • Jul 2004

If you go sub shopping you ought to check out Martin Logan subs. the Depth i is really tight and musical. I think it'd go great with the 805, but perhaps its a bit more expensive than the other ones you've listed.

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
      I wanted to know which sub from b & w (preferably a lower budget) acceptable with the 805s?? I'm looking at the B&W ASW600 10" Active Subwoofer 150 WATT for $500 and my budgets a bit tight after exchanging and paying the difference and sadly paying the restocking fee. Or maybe the B&W ASW650 12" Active Subwoofer 200 WATT for $700??
      Do some auditions and don't rush the sub. The subs you list probably would not do the 805S justice. You may want to try and pick one up used on Audiogon or Ebay. A Velodyne sub may provide a better alternative. Just take your time and get a decent one when you can afford it.

For the price you're looking at for the 805S, you may also want to audition the B&W floor standing speakers in the 600 (new ones out?) and 700 ranges. That way, you may find that you don't need a sub until you get into setting up a home theater.

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

beden1 thanks for the advice but I dont want anything from the 6 series or 7 lol I want the 805s =D their my favorite bookshelf speakers, i'm just into them not very big fan of floorstands. I just want a nice sub to go with them, I hear if you have a the right subs it'll be awesome =D

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
          Your quest for a good sub is a difficult one. Based upon your posts so far I feel you are underestimating the issue because of a lack of experience. As someone above said, take it slow and easy. Educate yourself.

I have posted many times about my 805S system, mostly discussing the potential of this system when used with the right subwoofers. To be clear, I am talking about the current version of the 805S, not the "N" or "Signature" versions.

Rather than writing a text on sub selection I will say that you would do well buying any of the B&W 800 series subs. I have dual ASW800's in my system. They are designed to work with the 805S's and greatly ease the integration issue mentioned below. Questions like yours will probably receive many replies each one touting a different sub. I feel for you when trying to sort all of this information out. In most cases you will not be able to actually audition the suggested subs. I would never buy a sub that I have not heard with my main speakers in my listening room. Buying subs can be a frustrating experience. That's why I suggested that you stick with the B&W 800 series.

You are facing two basic issues. First, the sub should produce good, clean low frequencies. After all, this is the basic job of the subwoofer and it should do it well. It should go down to at least 20Hz with real power or its not really worth the trouble. Keep in mind that in a small room such as where the 805S are likely to be used, you probably won't actually realize bass that low at least not on sustained low notes. However, for booms and bangs typical of HT sound tracks the sense of "feeling" the low bass should be present. It should have real impact. It should hit you in the belly and flap your pant legs. It should cause you to chase down all the rattles in your room you never knew were there.

Next, there is a more subtile issue but one that, in the long run, will make or brake your sub selection. The sound of the sub and main speaker should integrate seamlessly such that the presense of a sub cannot be perceived as a separate speaker. Rather, the sound field should sound as though it is being produced from a single speaker instead of having the sub punch in and interrupt the sound from the main system. Also, the sub should not overlap the sound of main speakers. This is a real challange. Most sub'ed system I have heard (I've heard many) don't pull this off very well. This is the main reason many audio pro's refuse to use subs. Integration is a difficult problem.

If you can solve these issues the addition of subs to your 805S's will result in true high end sound and completely amaze you and your friends. I'm still amazed by my system eventhough it is the second best in my house. But my main system is much more expensive. I could live with just the 805S system.

Good Luck, Sparky

Comment

• jjahshik32
            • Sep 2007

thanks sparky for the advice, I think I will just use the 805s speakers and its weak bookshelf sub (whatever it has to offer) for now until I can afford nice 800 series subs a little later. I want it all to be seamless and i'm sure the 800 series bass will match the 805s perfectly~! appreciate the help!!

Comment

• skuzzyb
              • Mar 2006

I see you have called them bookshelf speakers...

...I prefer to call them standmounts

Seeing your multiple posts and questions has led me to ask the following questions:
              Have you budgeted for decent stands for these speakers? Don't put them on bookshelves!!
              Have you thought about cables? They do not need to be expensive but they need to be right.

You will find that once you have begun down the path of searching for audio nirvana there is no turning back, just a diminishing bank account if you are not careful. As for the sub I do agree that you should take your time and make sure you select the right one. If you are listening to mainly two channel I question the need for a sub even for those speakers. Although I must preface that with saying it does depend on the musical genre that you prefer and the sound you are searching for.

Good luck on your journey.

skz

Comment

• jjahshik32
                • Sep 2007

heh thanks skz, yea I'm very new to the scene... before I never even knew what an amp or receiver does lol. I dont keep them on real bookshelves.. but for now I keep them on two separate mini desktops on each end of my room, pretty solid surface where it wont rattle or any of that, and saved myself probably over 1k from the stands =D Either way i'm very pleased with the sound and its still hooked up to a 40 dollar walmart home theatre amp. I've used the 602 s3 and 705 and the 805s in the bootleg amp but still found the speakers in totally different levels. I just cant wait to hook it up to the real rotel amp that I got off ebay.. I know its pretty old, a rb-985bx.. but I hear its pretty good enough to drive these 2 speakers. And I'll gradually move onto a real nice amp in months to come.. I've actually want to setup a 4 channel speakers.. hopefully get 804's later for the front if not i'll just get a nice center piece for the 805's and a nice sub and will be done with it, but if anything in this order will be purchased
                1) very nice amp
                2) Sub woofer
                3) Center piece =D ( probably last 2 from the 800 series) I just find that the floor stands 804's are just too expensive for me and I'm not too hardcore.. well at least not yet hehe

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"