X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darc
    • Feb 2006

AV recievers driving 805s

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of buying my first HT and stereo system. My plan at present is below.

My budget at this stage only allows me to buy a set of quality front speakers and an AV reciever and possibly a good quality sub at present (therefore, no surround sound to begin with).

So far i have decided to purchase a pair of B&W 805s for the front speakers and possibly a B&W AW825 sub (When my budget allows to me purchase another pair of front speakers and centre speaker i plan to have the 805s as rears).

The AV recievers i am deciding between at present is the NAD773 or ARCAM AVR300.

My main question though is; do any members on this forum have experience with driving the 805s with either the NAD 773 or the AVR300. If so, i would greatly appreciate any comments or opions on which reciever may be more suitable, or advice on other recievers that my be suitable in a similar price range currently in the market place.

I understand that both AV recievers will probably not bring the best out of the 805s, but at this stage of building my HT system i am after a reciever that has resonable quality in terms of sound (musically and for HT) at a reasonable price.

I know that most members will say to go i listen to both recievers as it can be personable decision to make, but unforntunately where i am located (Brisbane), their is only one B&W dealer which stocks the 800 series speakers and they do not deal any Arcam products, so it is not possible to listen to both recievers connected to the 805s.

I have read good reviews about both the NAD and ARCAM reciever, but i would appreciate any feedback from actual users of these products with the 805s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
    Darc
    • Nov 2005

HI Darc,
    I'm not familiar with the specific equipment you are considering. But when I was first setting up my HT system, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do about my amplifiers. So, rather than making a snap decision, I drove my 805S's with my Denon 3805's internal amplifiers. They are rated at 120W per channel. I was very impressed. Power was adequate and the receiver sounded good. If I wasn't an audio lunatic, I could have been happy. My room volume is about 1400 cubic feet (pretty small).

The 805S's are wonderful speakers. You are going to be very happy with them.

Sparky

Edited to Change: I meant 1400 cu. feet.
    Last edited by Karma; 01 March 2006, 05:46 Wednesday.

Comment

• Darc
      • Feb 2006

Hi Karma,

Thanks very much for you input. I will do some more searching and see how the Denon 3805 compares with the NAD and ARCAM receivers.

Darc.

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Hey Darc. Nice to see a fellow Briz Vegan on the forum.
        Before I got my power amp I was using a Marantz 7300OSE receiver and Rel sub with my 705s. In my current system I am using the Marantz as a pre amp and to power just the centre and rears.

I would say that hearing your speakers together with the receiver is very important, particularly as I believe the 805 is very revealing of the electronics upstream. I wasn't happy with my 705s until I added a power amp to the equation. If fact I would put decent amplification well ahead of a subwoofer in the priority list. Subs are good, but good amplification has a far greater effect on the overall sound. The first week I had my power amp I didn't bother switching the sub on, the effect was that significant

Back to your receiver question, I don't know what Merv and company at Aspley are like regarding home demos, but I do know that your friendly Arcam dealer in Paddington (am I allowed to mention dealers by name here - you know who I mean) is very reasonable about home auditions. If you can arrange for both on the same weekend you could spend a good day working out which has the best synergy with the 805.

Both the NAD and Arcam have excellent reputations and would have been top of my list for auditioning.

Happy demo-ing
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Darc
          • Feb 2006

Hi Briz vegas,

Thank you for you reply. I will take your advise and try to tee up a home demo for a weekend soon (i know exactly the dealers you are refering to).

I will also take into account your advise that decent amplification may be money better spent instead of a decent sub to begin with.

At this stage i was thinking that the technology in speakers would not change as quickly as the technology in receivers and amps etc. Therefore, to begin with in setting up a system, spend a significant portion of my budget on speakers, with a receiver that is moderate in quality. Then upgrade the receiver or amplification at a later date. However, i am very inexperienced with HT and stereos in general, so maybe this approach is not the best.

Thanks again for your reply.

Darc.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

You may well be correct about receivers, although I am not sure of the actual improvements from some of the new bells and whistles.

This may be a no brainer but make sure the receiver has pre-outs so you can use it as a pre-amp if you intend upgrading in baby steps, although the Arcam and NAD should both have them.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Darc
              • Feb 2006

Pre-outs are something that i hadn't thought about. Thanks for the tip. I will put it on my 'must have' list of requirements for a receiver.

Comment

• Angioguy
                • Nov 2005

Arcam and B&W

Well, here's my 2 cents:

When I decided to build a HT system, I had heard great things about the AVR-300. I did some research and discovered that for ~$2k (US), this receiver has a lot going for it-- including a very good preamp section. On a pair of B&W DM-330's it blew away my 200 wpc Adcom separates. Then I decided to go for the 800 series B&W's for the mains: Got the 803S's, and I think they sounded pretty damn good on the Arcam. I have since gotten a McIntosh MC-402 (400 wpc) to drive the 803's-- they really do need the extra gusto to sound great, but I've found I love what the Arcam does for me in every other respect, so I've got the Mac driving the 803's through the Arcam and the Arcam (100 wpc) driving my center and rear speakers. For now, I am very pleased with my setup.

I surmise that the 805's would do quite well with the AVR-300. In two channel mode, it's rated at 120 wpc. For 2k, it might be worthwhile for now, and you can upgrade at your leisure-- which is exactly what I did.

Can't think of too many companies that make great AV receivers at this price point.

Good luck!
                B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• Darc
                  • Feb 2006

Angioguy,

Thanks for you reply. Its sounds as though the Arcam AVR300 would be a good starting point for my HT setup, and will be adequate to drive the 805s.

At this point in time i will try to demo the Arcam, but by all accounts, it sounds like one of the better receivers on the market for the price range i am looking at.

Thanks,
                  Darc.

Comment

• Birdy
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Darc
                    Hi all,

I am currently in the process of buying my first HT and stereo system. My plan at present is below.

My budget at this stage only allows me to buy a set of quality front speakers and an AV reciever and possibly a good quality sub at present (therefore, no surround sound to begin with).

So far i have decided to purchase a pair of B&W 805s for the front speakers and possibly a B&W AW825 sub (When my budget allows to me purchase another pair of front speakers and centre speaker i plan to have the 805s as rears).

The AV recievers i am deciding between at present is the NAD773 or ARCAM AVR300.

My main question though is; do any members on this forum have experience with driving the 805s with either the NAD 773 or the AVR300. If so, i would greatly appreciate any comments or opions on which reciever may be more suitable, or advice on other recievers that my be suitable in a similar price range currently in the market place.

I understand that both AV recievers will probably not bring the best out of the 805s, but at this stage of building my HT system i am after a reciever that has resonable quality in terms of sound (musically and for HT) at a reasonable price.

I know that most members will say to go i listen to both recievers as it can be personable decision to make, but unforntunately where i am located (Brisbane), their is only one B&W dealer which stocks the 800 series speakers and they do not deal any Arcam products, so it is not possible to listen to both recievers connected to the 805s.

I have read good reviews about both the NAD and ARCAM reciever, but i would appreciate any feedback from actual users of these products with the 805s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
                    Darc

Hi there,

I had +/- the same plan as yours; want to buy 4 805S, HTM4S and 825 or 750.

I had a demo with a primare A21, impressive :B
                    The only problem, no HDMI; I'm still not decided...

Birdy

Comment

• drsiebling
                      • Jan 2006

Have you considered looking into the Rotel RSX-1056? It's a much more affordable receiver that is easily upgraded to a seperates type setup at a later date. Rotel equipment tends to offer superior sound quality at a more affordable price. In comparison tests from various magazines, the AVR-300 and the Rotel have frequently gone head to head with the Rotel always taking overall top honors for it's strengths in sound and build quality as well as a very impressive amplifier.

Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"