This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rohit1712
    • May 2005

802N-Mark Levinson 432,Classe M400,Bryston 14BSST Upgrade from Bryston 6BSST

I hear that ML 432+B&W 802N is a Great Combination!!! Not Sure.

My 6BSST+802N combination is Ok. But, The Brightness & Hollowness is really unbearable at times. I had to reduce the Treble on my Lexicon for that.

Since auditioning is not possible for me due to my nature of work, I rely mostly on forums like this for opinions.

My Main system usage is for Movie Watching. And prefer a warm and dark sound minus the Brightness.

My question is, Will the combo of ML 432+B&W80N eliminate the brightness and give me a warm and dark sound?

I think Bryston 14BSST(600wpc) would not be a better match to my 802N compared to Classe M400(400wpc) or ML432(400wpc), as I believe more power has got nothing to do with changing the sound characteristics of the audio gear.

Am I right on the Bryston 14BSST Note Above?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    How About Classe M400 Monoblocks?
    How about BAT line of Power Amplifiers?
    I hear KRELL KAV Series are nimble and quick.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Its a No brainer but----
    Is it true that Mark Levinson gear is lean and boring???
    ------------------------------------------------------
    If you know of a better matching amp for the 802N, request you to define them here with their sound characteristics and estimated MRP.

Thanks for Looking

Note:
    My System Consists of:
    1. Lexicon 12B V5 (Processor)
    2. Bryston 6BSST(Front Channels,300wpc)
    3. B&W802N, HTM-1 (Fronts)
    4. Denon 2910
    5. Wireworld Balanced Cabling, etc...
  • amdan
    • Sep 2006

I used to have the same problem that you do. I have a Bryston 14ST and B&W 802N combination. I found the system bright and lean. It also had a lot of glare. Imaging was poor and it sounded like it had a high noise floor. A lot of CDs were completely unlistenable. Like you I wondered if it was the B&W/Bryston combination. There are some people that swear that this is a terrible combination. BTW my other components are the Cary 303/300 CD player and the Suptratek Sauvignon both of which are good quality components.
    Fortunately, I found the solution - and it had nothing to do with the Bryston. The final outcome has been something of a journey however the first couple of steps eliminated my unhapiness with the system. I changed the tubes on my Supratek which helped. However, changing the power cord to the Cary got rid of the glare and brightness. It seems to me that AC noise was causing the problem. I suspect that the Bryston/B&W combination is so revealing that everything is faithfully reproduced (including noise). At this point I was getting very good sound.

I had 3 dedicated lines installed in my room which further lowered the noise floor and harshness. I replaced my speaker cables which also helped reduce the harshness and improve imaging. BTW changing the jumper cables on the B&W 802N made a huge difference to the quietness of the background. I have recently bought a PS Audio Power Plant. The improvement has been dramatic. Detail, imaging, sound stage and bass depth improved significantly. Though the PS Audio made the sound a little too warm for my taste. I have fixed this by a little tweaking.

I don't know if power is definitely your problem but it is well worth investigating. I suggest getting a good power conditioner (if you don't already have one). The PS Audio PPP has been staggeringly good.

I very much doubt that the Bryston is the issue. However, if you are keen on changing amps, have a look at Classe. I recently posted regarding my experience comparing the Classe to the Bryston. Have a look at it.

Comment

• RNKC
      • Jun 2005

I went from Bryston to Proceed to Levinson (432) with my N802. Every step was an improvement and I don't ever see myself changing the Levinson 432 + N802 combination unless I decide to go for the diamonds one of these years.

My listening is primarily 2 channel stereo but I do also use the system for 5.1. I use a Proceed AVP2 as my pre / processor. I find that the Levinson gives me a nice clean sound that's not harsh and in the end, doesn't really sound like anything (if that makes sense). I mean that I never feel the Levinson colours my music in any way; what I hear is what's on the CD with no artificial flavours added. I've listened to Classe in the store - it's a fine amp but I personally like my Levinson better.

The warmth and darkness of the sound is also dependent on the room though. My sound is certainly warm, but I know it could be warmer if my room was a bit bigger. Ditto for the darkness.

Personally I don't think you'll be unhappy if you go with a 432. There are usually a few for sale on Audiogon for $5500 or so. I'd recommend you go that route if you do decide to buy a Levinson.

Comment

• Hallett
        • Jun 2006

I'm very happy with my Bryston 4-sst amp I have never had a chance to audition some of the other amps
        that have been mentioned. I think my 802D'S sound great with my Bryston gear. some day I would like
        to check out the classe 400 mono blocks that everyone raves about.
        Classe ssp-600
        Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
        Classe CDP-100
        B&W 802D :T ;x(
        Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

As discussed on another forum, you can get a better grip on your problems, wants and needs by addressing the acoustics, rather than buying more equipment.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• amdan
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
            As discussed on another forum, you can get a better grip on your problems, wants and needs by addressing the acoustics, rather than buying more equipment.

Kal
            Very good point. The tweaking I mentioned above after getting the PS Audio included room acoustics. I ended up lessining the damping in the room. I still have a bit more to do however I have made a good start. Don't forget the power issues though. It was certainly the main culprit in my case.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"