X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

B&W 803D or 802N!!

At last I have the money to buy real speakers! I´ve given away my bose 901´s and now I´m looking at B&W 804,803D and I have a chance for a secondhand pair of 802N!!

My worries for the 803D and 802N is my amp! Sony es ta-n9000es 5 X 130 or 2 X 200 in 8 ohms

Right now I´m using a old rare set of speakers, Tandberg studio monitor!!

I can´t demo the 802N because the guy who has them is moving abroad and needs cash!

The 804s sounds a little weak even with my asw750, but i could live with that!

:T
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

One thing to consider re your amp is if at a later date you'll be able to get a better amp to power 803/802s. I've bought speakers knowing my amp was only adequate but knowing I would upgrade it later.

Eloise

Comment

• Gremal
      • Apr 2007

When I originally bought my pair of N802s in '99, I had worse amplification than that, so don't sweat it. You're doing the right thing by getting your high end speakers first.
      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I have the diamond speakers. The tweeters are spectacular. However, having said that, the bass and midrange of an N802 is also pretty awesome, especially the midrange. I would have to lean to the N802. With either the 803D or N802, run the amp in 2X200 mode. This will be decent, until you can get an amp that will really open up the N802's. Used amps are a consideration. Like these:

Of course, higher up the performance scale are these:

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by htsteve; 11 January 2009, 23:13 Sunday.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Id take N802s.

803Ds are impressive, 3 drivers, however the 802s look 10xbetter IMO.

Plus Im partial to the N802s

BTW, dont worry about your amp, Ive run my N802s with an Aragon 200x2, Bryston 500 watt monos and currently a Yamaha 140x7 reciever.

Some may shame me for it, but I dont care, it works fine and has worked fine for over a year now.

I ran B&W N802s, HTM1, and SCM1s all off a Yamaha reciever. Ideal? No. Did it sound good? Yes, Did it work fine? Yes.

You wont damage them, you can still turn the receiver up to levels that are "loud".

Do I miss the light dimming Brystons? Yep.

When I feel like directing my funds towards an amp, I will get another montser, until then I am very content with a "1box" solution to my system.
          B&W

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

Get the N802's and then check out some older amps by Classe when funds permit. Their CA400's are gettign pretty cheap and are powerhouses.

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

803D are sweet, I like 802N but never compared them with 803D go listen and you will see!!

As to CAM400 being cheap ? $10,000 a pair I would suggest taking a lot at Emotiva monoblocks :B
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                803D are sweet, I like 802N but never compared them with 803D go listen and you will see!!

As to CAM400 being cheap ? $10,000 a pair I would suggest taking a lot at Emotiva monoblocks :B
                CA 400 not CA M400.

Comment

• atchudy
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ac81017
                  At last I have the money to buy real speakers! I´ve given away my bose 901´s and now I´m looking at B&W 804,803D and I have a chance for a secondhand pair of 802N!!

My worries for the 803D and 802N is my amp! Sony es ta-n9000es 5 X 130 or 2 X 200 in 8 ohms

Right now I´m using a old rare set of speakers, Tandberg studio monitor!!

I can´t demo the 802N because the guy who has them is moving abroad and needs cash!

The 804s sounds a little weak even with my asw750, but i could live with that!

:T
                  I have a pair of N803, and am using a Sony STR-DA777ES, which i think is very similar to your amplifier. I burrowed a Rotel RB-1080, and there was no significant difference unless i was playing at levels that were too loud to listen to.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

I used a Sony STR DA5200ES when I first got my N801's. It worked but I was not getting the performance that the N801's were capable of. But, had I had 803's, I would not have gotten the performance that they were capable of either.

It was only after changing preamp, power amp and source. Oh that sounds bad. Sorry, but you will wind up changing everything eventually. Anyway, it does not have to cost a fortune if you use Audiogon.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"