X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenee
    • Aug 2006

What Sub with 802D's ?

I am thinking of trying a Sub with my 802D's. I know the perfect match would most likely be a JL Audio Fathom F113 but at $2500.00. I just don't want to get that much invested in the Sub. I have been told that a Martin Logan Depth sub is very good. I can get one of those new for $1150.00. Any body got any advice on this sub ? I want a Sub that is tight not loose or boomy for music and a little HT. I know room acoustics has a lot to do with that, but I also know that some lend theirselves more to this side than room ratteling bass that you can feel. Something smaller, No huge footprint. Size for show doesn't impress me. Want to spend about a Grand plus or minus a couple hundred dollars. Got any suggestions ?
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

Glen,

I have the 802Ds and went through the same questions. I also wanted something musical and didn't want a big boomy sub.

Also like you, I narrowed it down to the JL Fathoms or a ML Descent. After talking with a JL rep, I decided the F112 would be a better match for me than the F113. He said the F112 was a little better in the upper base region. I also figured the 12" woofer may be a tad quicker than the 13". Unfortunately, even the F112 is priced a little higher than what you want to spend.

There are two ML Descent subs. One is the older Decent, and the new one is the Descent i. The "i" version is supposed to go 1-2 db lower than the older version version, but the "i" is also a little more than you want to spend.

This leaves the older ML Descent. It is supposed to be a very nice, musical sub. The 10" drivers are supposed to be very fast which I think would be a good match for the 802Ds. This may be your best option if you can get one at $1150.

Darrell

Comment

• Glenee
      • Aug 2006

Thanks dm. The sub from ML that I am looking at is the little brother to the Decent. It is model called DEPTH. Any difference in these with the i version ?
      Thanks,
      Glenee

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

Glen,

When I was looking into this, I didn't check out the Depth. I don't know the difference between the old and new Depth sub.

Darrell

Comment

• Relentless
          • Jul 2007

It can produce sound pressure levels (SPL) above 180 dB which parallels output of 160+ ten inch woofers.....maybe you can talk them down in price.

or maybe one of these......flat down to 1HZ

I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
          Lou

Comment

• ssabripo
            • Dec 2005

or you could build twin avalanche 18" monster sonotubes with flat FR to near 10hz!

extremely musical, tons of headroom and extension, far more accurate than the Fathoms. But it requires a very high WAF, and of course a few weekends of work.

but in all seriousness, if you are in the market in the next couple of weeks, Epik Subwoofers is coming out with their new lineup!! Chad Kuypers has made just about the best subs for the price out there....his Conquest and tower subs are hard to match performance wise, and when you see their price, your jaw will drop!!

15" long throw, high excursion, Tower:

18" ultra high power, dual 6" flared ports, 1000W bash amp:
            My simple HT setup
            4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Glenee
              • Aug 2006

Relentless, Your girl friend makes me wish I was Young again. How's her cooking ? Inlaws Okay ? You need to know these things before you get serious or anything.
              Glenee

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Glenee
                Relentless, Your girl friend makes me wish I was Young again. How's her cooking ? Inlaws Okay ? You need to know these things before you get serious or anything.
                Glenee
                If Caprice was my girl I would be too busy to hang around A/V sites, and I think I could tolerate some bad cooking and a nagging mother in law
                Lou

Comment

• Relentless
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ssabripo
                  or you could build twin avalanche 18" monster sonotubes with flat FR to near 10hz!
                  those are some awesome subs :T

if you are going to build some might as well go all out. Something like this....

drop some of these in there

build the floor over it and leave some big holes to act as ports and you are good.

OK seriously. My brother has a pair of Fathom F113's and I don't like them for music as much as the 15" subs I own and some I have heard, but for HT the JL's are fantastic. I know you don't want to spend a lot on a sub and your main concern is music I would suggest looking for a used DD12.
                  Lou

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                    • Dec 2005

JL Fathom F113, which is superior to the F112 model.

Comment

• dmccombs
                      • Sep 2006

Aside for going 1 DB lower, and having slightly more output, what do you think is superior about the F113.

The JL Audio rep I conversed with, opted for dual F112, becuase he felt they blend a bit better for music. He said he could afford the F113s but the F112 fit his needs better.

But, if you are looking for total output, then of course the F113 is the way to go.

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dmccombs
                        Aside for going 1 DB lower, and having slightly more output, what do you think is superior about the F113.

The JL Audio rep I conversed with, opted for dual F112, becuase he felt they blend a bit better for music. He said he could afford the F113s but the F112 fit his needs better.

But, if you are looking for total output, then of course the F113 is the way to go.
                        Based on my research with many dealers/audiophiles who compared both and JL Tech Support (disclaimer: I did not listen to both with my own ears because I could not find a dealer who had both on display):

The F113's have more bass authority without sacrafice of detail or tightness. More dramatic overall presentation and slam for music or movies. Though it's not a night and day difference and of course I know that the F112 is great too. Both models blend nicely with the 802D's for movies and concert DVD's (I don't use the sub for 2 channel audio).

JL has a guy working for them who leads up their tech. support for home audio that typically fields questions from us audiophile guys. I forgot his name, but can check it at work tomorrow. He would be good to speak with to discuss the differences between the two models. Of course if you are lucky enough to locate a dealer who has both on display, then that would be ideal.

If your room is small, it becomes much less of an issue.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dmccombs
                          The JL Audio rep I conversed with, opted for dual F112, becuase he felt they blend a bit better for music.
                          Glenee, I am sure you know where I stand when it comes to subwoofer integration into a high performance full range two channel system. But if you decide to use subwoofers, despite my reasons not to, then at the very least heed the advice dmccombs received from the JL Audio representative. Otherwise, you are just playing harmful special effects games with your audio system. If it's not within your budget or space to use two, consider that a blessing! Seriously.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Glenee
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            Glenee, I am sure you know where I stand when it comes to subwoofer integration into a high performance full range two channel system. But if you decide to use subwoofers, despite my reasons not to, then at the very least heed the advice dmccombs received from the JL Audio representative. Otherwise, you are just playing harmful special effects games with your audio system. If it's not within your budget or space to use two, consider that a blessing! Seriously.
                            I have just about reserved the sub to be used with HT only. I have a McIntosh MX135 which when put into 2-Channel (Pure Stereo mode) It bypasses the sub and the bass managment crossovers and send straight 2-Channel thru a C-45 pre-amp board which treats the 802D's as large and the only speakers in the system. If I go to Digital 2-Channel Stereo thru coax from CDP it will use the crossovers and bring the Sub into use. I have a chance to play with and audition the ML Depth and the JL F112 in about two weeks both at the same dealer. Just going to buy One Sub if any.
                            Thanks Alot for your help,
                            Glenee

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"