X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Paradigm Reference Sub 12

Hi folks,

Has anyone had the chance to audition the Paradigm Reference Sub 12? I'm considering it as a replacement for my Paradigm PW-2200 to be paired with my B&W 703's for 2 channel and HT duties. I suspect I'd keep the 2200 and run it as a secondary sub for HT as well.

I haven't seen too many reviews for this sub, but it's larger brother the Sub 15 seems to get really good reviews. The 15 is probably out of my price range but I'm guessing that the 12 would be more than enough for my current room and would be a big step up in dynamics and accuracy from the 2200 I'm currently using. I was also considering the JL Fathom F110 as I think I could get it for roughly the same price as the Sub 12. I suspect the Sub 12 would be a better performer though and would likely be on par with the F112, which is likely out of my price range as well.

I know my question isn't about B&W speakers, but the sub needs to integrate with the B&W's I have, hence the reason it's in this section

Thanks for any feedback you may have!
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Hey folks,

Just thought I'd post an update to this thread given that I just picked up the Paradigm Reference Studio Sub 12 today as a replacement for my Paradigm PW-2200.

The first thing I noticed about the Sub 12 is the bulk. This is a very heavy and well put together sub. The footprint of the sub is quite a bit smaller than the 2200 it replaced, however, it feels about twice as substantial moving it around. The driver looks like it could survive being driven by anything and given the 1,700 watt Class D amps driving it, it's probably a good thing. Extremely overbuilt is the first thing that came to my mind. The cabinet is also very good looking and it has nice curves on the sides as opposed to the standard "box" design. The back panel is also clearly labeled and very classy looking.

I've only had it up and going for a couple of hours now so while it's not broken it at all, initial SQ impressions are very impressive. This is a fast sub that easily keeps pace with my 703's and it goes about business in a much more refined manner than the 2200. At first I felt that it had less bass than the 2200, but the more I listen I realize that it's just quicker and not as boomy as the 2200 and that's saying something because I thought the 2200 was actually quite well controlled for a ported design. The Sub 12 is a fully sealed design and it thus far it is exhibiting great pitch definition and lots of weight on various types of music. I haven't really pushed it that hard yet but the times I ran the volume up a little, I got the sense that it simply won't run out of steam, at least within the confines of even extreme listening levels. The character of the sound stayed almost exactly like it did at lower levels, it just got louder.

Right now I have it crossed over at 80hz and the volume dial is at roughly 1/3rd. It's positioned near the middle of the front wall in my listenining room, behind my TV and almost smack in-between my mains. I'll continue to play around a little bit, but it seems to have settled in quite nicely in that location and with those settings.

Overall, I think Paradigm has a real winner here and I'm very happy with how it integrates with my 703's. I've only listened to music so far and I'll post an update for HT when I get around to doing some listening in that environment.

Comment

• 97disco
      • Dec 2008

Good to year your enjoying it.

I haven't had personal experience with the paradigms. I'm running an B&W ASW 850 with my 704's, only because I got such a killer steal for it.

Its always good to see different subs used with the b&ws.
      B&W 704's
      B&W HTM7
      B&W DS7's (rears)
      B&W 850 Subwoofer
      Rotel RSP 1066
      Rotel RMB 1075
      Rotel RDV-1060
      B&W Zepplin

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"