X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BVLDARI
    • Dec 2012

B&W DB1 and JL F113 and Emotiva... Fun day to say the least

So I had an interesting AV day yesterday. First, Emotiva was in a suburb in Chicago. Second, my dealer is not far from where Emotiva was - so I planned an afternoon music.

My Emotiva experience was a bit disappointing. They did not have enough people there to handle the (relatively small) crowd. Most of their employees were not clearly labeled so it was impossible to recognize them. There was literally only one guy that was easily accessible but unfortunately he did not appear to be very versed in their products. The owner was there, I waited to talk to him for a while but never got the chance because he skipped right over me and went to talk to other people. Overall, I think the listening night with manufacturer reps that my dealer set up some time ago was much better organized and more productive. The best part of the Emotiva event was that they had very aggressive pricing for that day only.

So on to the meat of what I wanted to say. The one Emotiva guy referenced above told me that the XPA-1L is not going to be powerful enough to handle the 802 Diamonds. He suggested I stick with the XPA-1. He of course also said that XPAs are “right there on the same level as Parasound and McIntosh”.

Emotiva had an XPA-1 on a table with an XPA-1L sitting on top of it. Neither was driving anything but both were plugged in and on. There was nothing else near them (good ventilation). I can tell you the XPA-1L was hot enough to cook eggs on. You literally couldn’t keep your hand on top of it for more than 1 second.

Now on to the more fun part of the afternoon - I went to my dealer. They very recently got JL Audio and had an F112, an F113 and a DB1 in the “big” room. Unfortunately neither was “set up” nor calibrated so we spent a decent amount of time tinkering with them to try and get them to sort of be level matched (using our ears). At the end, I “auditioned” the F113 vs. the DB1. My initial impressions are that both subs are great. The surprises of the day were that I did not like the JL as much as I thought I would like it, and that I liked the DB1 more than I thought I would like it. I said this before, but now I am fully convinced that subs do not “sound the same”. Both the JL and B&W produced sound that was close to the other but they had a clear and distinct sound difference between them. I can’t say which one I liked better because this was not a very well controlled test and neither sub was set up “correctly”. But I can say that at this point I recommend either or and no one will be disappointed from either (imho).

P.S. I forgot to mention, the subwoofer were in a room with 800D2. I then auditioned a MC275 (tube amp) with a pair of 802D2. I am even more convinced now that I made the right decision on the speakers for me.

P.S.2. I posed this same post at another forum but felt it was worth sharing here as well :T
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

That sounds like a very fun day!!!! Sorry to hear about the Emotiva event... WKHanna and I have had the same experiences when going to listen to equipment...

It's all about the journey though and seems like it ended up turning into a great day overall!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• audiogear
      • Sep 2011

BVLDARI, it took me some time to decide between DB1 and f113. In the end, I opted to buy the DB1 having had the chance to demo it at my local dealer. What was it about the DB1 that surprised you more than you had thought?

Btw, how did the 802D sound driven by the single MC275?
      Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, DB-1 sub, McIntosh 501(2), McIntosh MCD500 & C50, C2300, Elite SC09-TX, Oppo 105, Wadia 121/170, PS3, MacBook Pro/iPad, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, Monster Power 7000MKII, ATV2, Audioquest Gibraltar/Cobra/USB cables.

2-Channel: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, SF Cremona Auditor M, ATV2, Oppo 95, Elite 50" plasma, Monster 3600/AVS2000, Audioquest Cobras/Rocket 88s

Comment

• BVLDARI
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by audiogear
        BVLDARI, it took me some time to decide between DB1 and f113. In the end, I opted to buy the DB1 having had the chance to demo it at my local dealer. What was it about the DB1 that surprised you more than you had thought?
        I guess I had low expectations of the DB1 primarily because most people on the forums dislike the "lower end" B&W subs a lot. No one ever recommends them and generally they steer people away. And even though the DB1 had at least one fantastic review, even that review said the sub can’t keep up with movies. But to sum it up, the DB1 sounded seamless and super musical with the 800D2.

JL Audio on the other hand, I’ve had a long love affair with them from my car audio days. You guys will laugh but to this day I use my 12W6v2 in the same small sealed box it was in my car for my home audio – still sounds great!!! The only issue I have with the 12W6 right now is that it can’t keep up during movies; music – no problem. So with this said, I was expecting perfection and greatness from the f113 and unfortunately I go more “real world” results instead… LOL…

But if you forced me to buy one today, I am probably 80% B&W. Now considering the cost of each, I will be spending a lot more time listening before I purchase anything…

Btw, how did the 802D sound driven by the single MC275?

I thought it was an excellent combination. However you can’t play it too loud. Also, I did not do any A/B comparisons so I can’t tell you if it sounded better than an MC452 (for example). All I can tell you is that I personally love the 802D2 and that paired with the mc 257 they sound at least as good as they sound with any of the other amps I’ve heard them with.

Comment

• audiogear
          • Sep 2011

Thanks BVLDARI for your take on the DB1. I read more than a few posts where many shared how seamlessly well and musical the DB1 blend with 800/802 Diamonds. Ironically, I find myself hardly firing up the DB1 during stereo listening, but rather only for movies. Encouraging feedback on the MC275. If I ever obtain the MC275, the DB1 can always supplement a little to the bottom end.
          Main: B&W 802Di, HTM2D, 805D, DB-1 sub, McIntosh 501(2), McIntosh MCD500 & C50, C2300, Elite SC09-TX, Oppo 105, Wadia 121/170, PS3, MacBook Pro/iPad, Samsung 63" 3D Plasma, Monster Power 7000MKII, ATV2, Audioquest Gibraltar/Cobra/USB cables.

2-Channel: McIntosh MA6600, Peachtree iDAC, SF Cremona Auditor M, ATV2, Oppo 95, Elite 50" plasma, Monster 3600/AVS2000, Audioquest Cobras/Rocket 88s

Comment

• BVLDARI
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by audiogear
            Thanks BVLDARI for your take on the DB1. I read more than a few posts where many shared how seamlessly well and musical the DB1 blend with 800/802 Diamonds.
            Two guys from the dealer were in the room with me. Both agreed that on that day in that room with that music (and w/o any type "formal" setting up) the DB1 sounded better. I am not ready to say it's better yet because we "tuned" both subs by ear, we did not use any of the room corrections and did not play with placements.

Ironically, I find myself hardly firing up the DB1 during stereo listening, but rather only for movies.
            I agree 100%. At home, for stereo music I dont love the sub integration. I think the 800/802 sound fantastic on their own.

Encouraging feedback on the MC275. If I ever obtain the MC275, the DB1 can always supplement a little to the bottom end.
            I am not a big "tube" fan but the MC275 in that room on that day with that music sounded great. I would definitely encourage you to audition it if it's something you were interested in.

Comment

• audiogear
              • Sep 2011

I've heard a single MC275 connected to McIntosh C2300 tube preamp driving a large pair of Martin Logans with authority in an open platform room. John Mayer was playing and the sound was so naturally pleasing, I could've listened for hours without fatigue. I have my eyes on this piece but not ready to take the plunge.....just enjoying the journey. :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by BVLDARI
                .........but felt it was worth sharing here as well :T
                Thanks for posting !
                Always interesting to hear the experience of our members when auditioning equipment.
                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Thanks for your post.

I too think the DB1 is much underrated subwoofer. I have heard one with the 802Di and the blend was just seamless and transformed the music. It would be high mon my list for any musical subwoofer.

I have also heard the Fathom 113 and it is amazing, especially as a HT Subwoofer but just not quite the same tonal integration with the 800 series for my ears..

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"