X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

New Amp for my 803s

I have decided to upgrade the amplifier for my B&W 803S mains and am going with McIntosh because I like the big meters. I have been debating between the MC252 and MC402. The 252 will provide the full rated powers listed for the speakers. The only advantage I saw with the 402 was it is a fully balanced design.

I went to the store for a demo of the two amps today. The Mac dealer does not sell B&W so we used a pair of Focal and Mcintosh speakers for the demo. As most demos go, we listed to a few different selections using one amp, then listed to the same selections on the other, keeping everything else constant. We went back and forth 3 - 4 times. At the end of the demo, they salesman looked at me and said, "Did you hear how much the 402 opened the speakers compared to the 252?". Honestly, I didn't hear one lick of difference between the two amps. I think the only thing he though would be opening was my wallet for the additional $1800 to make the jump.

Has anyone used ether of these amps with the B&W 803S? If so, what were your thoughts? Has anyone got a MC252 and then later upgraded to the MC402?
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

if you can, I would get a in home audition with your speakers and enviroment, that is the only way that you will really be able to see if either will be the best for you, that will really be the only way to tell if they will work. Not to steer you away from Mac, but have you listened to a Classe amplifier on your 803's?
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

803S new ampli

@Pookie007,

Mc252 is a good ampli, no words.
      (I think do you have a Parasound pre)

But tried with a Classè 2200 (at fist choice) or krell 2250 and Bryston 2x300
      is not bad.
      Greetings from Switzerland
      Omar

Personaly:
      I have 803S too and I drive my HT system with Rotel Rb1092(2x) and
      one Rb1091 for center.

Comment

• akhter
        • Jun 2005

Does you pre have balanced outputs? otherwise the fully balanced design probably doesn't work (some one correct me if i am wrong). I have seen 805S being driven by 402s which seemed a bit overkill.

Comment

• Pookie007
          • Apr 2006

To answer the previous questions. The in home demo is becoming difficult if not impossible to set up. I would need to coordinate with multiple stores that aren't making it simple.

I have listened to Classe, but they didn't do anything for me. I auditioned them when I purchased my Audio Research gear. I really like the ARC stuff on some smaller speakers I have. I need to replace it so I can move it to the other system. The Mac really impressed me. The sound seem to be really "supported". I don't know how else to describe it.

I do have balanced outputs on my preamp. My ARC amps are also fully balanced. And I know you can hook non-fully balanced amps to a balanced pre-amp and it will work.

Comment

• Pedro
            • Jan 2006

what Classe Pre and Power have you listened with the ARC, Pookie?

About the 803S could you tell me if the diferences between it and 804S is just the Bass?

803S are more balanced then 804S?

Comment

• Pookie007
              • Apr 2006

I listened to the CA-2200 in comparison to the ARC 300.2. The Classe is a great amp, I just preferred the ARC.

I choose the 803 over the 804 because I though it was a fuller sound. You probably could attribute that to more low end. I also compared to the 803D. I didn't hear a $2500 advantage to the diamond tweeter. This also would have increased my center speaker by another $1000 to match them up.

Comment

• Pookie007
                • Apr 2006

I have been testing amplifiers and now I am questioning if it is worth the investment. I just changed out my speaker cables with a set of Cattails that Doug built for me. I have a single banana at the amp end and double set at the speakers. I was able to eliminate the jumpers that shipped with the 803s. I am amazed by the difference these cables made compared to the Monster Cables I was previously using. My room seems to be about twice as wide and much deeper. These cables really opened up my speakers. I also haven't been able to detect any colorization being added. The pure sound of Audio Research is what attracted me to my amps to begin with, but I never was happy with the results in my home. I was originally thinking it was the amp that needed replacing, but now I realize the problem was the cables. The build quality is the best I have ever seen in a custom cable. The best part is the price is amazingly cheap, well below the value of these cables.

All that being said, since I got the funding for an amp approved through the accounting department (the wife), I now have to find a way to spend $4000 - $6000 later this year. Maybe I get the amp anyways, you never have enough good amplification.

Comment

• d"cure"
                  • Jun 2006

my opinion is to try to listen to parasound halo jc-2 pre with a pair of jc-1s what a compination!

Comment

• Pookie007
                    • Apr 2006

I picked up the MC252 last weekend and now am in the market for the MC402 next spring. I am building a couple systems concurrently. I expect to move this amp to the center speaker (bridged mono) when I get the 402. I am going to move my Audio Research gear to the second system (out of town at a work apartment) and use the Parasound gear for my basement system.

Comment

• akhter
                      • Jun 2005

I am considering adding a mc252 to my n804. how does the 252 sound with your 803s? From what i understand, the 252 and the 402 are the same exact design-double balanced, since they can both be bridged for mono. The only difference should be the power output. Higher up in the line they get quad-balanced since they don't need to be bridge-able.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Mc252

@akhter,
                        I have the 803S (mains) at the moment I drive with a Rotel RB1092.

I have too in my head the MC252. I think will be sufficient or?
                        still one what. Prewidens Rotel 1068 will be enough?

Please reply
                        Omar

Comment

• akhter
                          • Jun 2005

I think the 252 will be sufficient as it is conservatively rated and peaks at around 500wpc which is plenty .

Imho, the rotels are quite clean sounding but I wouldn't pair a 252 with a 1068...to me arcam is the minimum, and even with that, I think I am going to miss out on the best possible performance. I don't plan on updating my pre anytime soon though with all the hdmi/lpcm hoopla. I am gonna wait it out a bit.

Comment

• Pookie007
                            • Apr 2006

I haven't had a lot of time listening to it yet. I put this in place of an Audio Research 300.2. I don't know if the sound will change with break-in. I think I liked the ARC more for music and the McIntosh better in the HT setup. Both amps have a very clean low end. It just seems the ARC has a lighter mid to upper range. The Mcintosh seems to be very full and accurate and it really excelled when I watched "Underworld: Evolution" and "Pirates of Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest." I'm sure my assessment will evolved over the next month, I will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"