X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

MC501 or MC402 or MC252 for my 803S

Hi there. Im using B&W 803S and As Preamp i'm using McIntosh C2300 And Rotel RB-1080 as poweramp. Next in my upgrade path would be the Amp..
    Of course i consider McIntosh and got a chance to have at home MC501 for a weekend. What i noticed compared to Rotel: Clarity, More Details, Depth , Better imaging... But also what i dont like... McIntosh sometimes in bass region sound too gentle.. Too soft..And it seem to be a bit slow. Also on songs with bass guitar there was bass guitar details missing... Seem that is the character of Mc sound, and simulating tube sound.. My room is 5.5m x 3.8m + 7 meters square opening.

Can someone who had a chance to A/B those amps to describe me the difference u found? I read almost anything i found on the net, but someone say there is no difference between MC402 and MC501, someone say MC402 is even more gentle then MC501, also i found that MC252 is better then MC402.

Maybe in the future if my room space allowed me i'll upgrade my 803s to 802d (i think in this room they would be too big, and just for that reason i didint get 803D also).

And is it possible to correct with cables or different source that softness and a bit slowish sound?

HTSteve i think u can give me answer that i need

Thanks...

Darko
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Darko,

I'll give it a try. I've heard the 402, and I own the 252 on a pair of 802D's. The 802D's are a lot more power hungry then the 803S's (which still love current as well). I have no real experience with the 501's.

The 252 is an excellent amp. Great soundstage, detail, dynamics and smoothness. Bass is quite excellent. The depth and detail of the bass is something that was quite noticeable when I put the 252 in. I certainly do not notice the bass as gentle or lacking in detail.

The 402 I heard at a dealer. It's a great amp for the 802D's, which is what I heard it on. It was smooth, great sounding. Bass was tight as well. I really was like the big brother to the 252. It does everything the 252 does, but better, a bit quieter and with more authority.

One thing I will point out is that after living with my 252 for a while, and enjoying it quite a bit, I made some room treatments. I added bass traps behind my 802D's. These made a very nice extension and improvement in definition of the bass. I've been thoroughly happy with this arrangement.

Any of these amps will drive the 803S's extremely well, especially mated with the C2300. But check out the room these are all in. Some room treatments might just improve the bass you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

The McIntosh "house sound" has always sounded that way to me , and B & W speakers have sounded somewhat laid back too ,. It seems the combination would be exactly as you described-to me anyway. Have you tried , or can you try , a Bryston amp? I found them somewhat dry and "clinical" through some big Focals but they may work with the 803s.
      Also , Mark Levinson makes some very nice amps with a tube input stage that sound very good to me. Classe may be an option , too. What kind of music do you prefer? I would lean towards Bryston for classic rock , metal , etc.. If jazz , classical , chamber music , I would look at Classe (although Classe is by no means limited to those genres) and the Levinson offerings would be very good all-around amps. IMO.
      There are so many good amplifiers out there it can be hard to choose. Halcro , MBL , and so on.
      Finally , your source is equally important , but somewhat beyond the scope of your question. Good luck! I had a lot of fun auditioning a ton of equipment last year. :T

P.S. Then again , silver interconnect cabling may give you what you're looking for. The forum owner makes some very nice cables.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

If you find McIntosh to have lack of bass, try Krell.Lot of bass but also aggressive in mid/high.
        I can listen for hours to the McIntosh/B&W combo, as well with Classé, you won't be able doing this with Krell but you will have more bass that's for sure.
        I'm absolutely not telling that McIntosh is better than Krell or Classé.Just listen for yourself and make your own choice in function of your ears, and of course your budget

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
          • May 2008

I am a little shocked you find the bass detail lacking, I found just the opposite, more bass authority when I switched from Emotiva XPA5s to the MC501s on my 803Ds...I would think you need to try a different speaker wire or as mentioned room treatment...that is not my experience with this combo...
          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• specialized
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
            I am a little shocked you find the bass detail lacking, I found just the opposite, more bass authority when I switched from Emotiva XPA5s to the MC501s on my 803Ds...I would think you need to try a different speaker wire or as mentioned room treatment...that is not my experience with this combo...

As first i listened this combo (803D and MC501), at dealer showroom, and both me and my friend found them bass lacking.. Actually they dont lack that much bass as they make it very soft.. very round.. And McIntosh definitly are on slow side..Also they are lacking puch and dinamics in bass region.. So Bass is there, but somehow very shamefull. Becouse i noticed this at dealer showroom, i asked to get MC501 at home for few days, and to check at my room (i tought that maybe their room is the reason of all that). I have 803S, and while midrange and highs were almost perfect, same thing in bass area.. on Bass guitars u can hear that there is bass, but not details and dinamics about it... So seem that is the character of McIntosh...

Now i'm listening again my RB-1080, and i miss the higher quality sound with MC501.. They are definitly step up.. But for price difference, and for amount of money they cost, i think there should be no missing things as i found.

And back to the theme.. Can some one describe me the difference i would get between MC252, MC402 and MC501.. From all this i have a chance to listen MC501, and MA7000 (this should have similar sound to MC252).

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Dmm53
              • Nov 2007

If price is an issue, you may want to look at Audio Classic. They have a great deal on the older MC352. Very similar to MC402. I bought one to drive my 803S about two years ago and like you, replaced an RB 1080. It was like turning the speakers on for the first time.

I have my speakers on sound anchors and love the bass. Tight, not bloated.

Above all else, my two year journey with this amp and speaker set-up has been heavily influenced by room placement and good interconnects. It just keeps getting better.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                • Dec 2008

Remember the Bryston have recently gone through some changes since Jan of this year.Every amp from the 7B up has a new transformer that has changed the power curve of the amp so that you get much more dynamics at a much lower volume.Basically it gives you all it's glory from the first watt onward.Maybe others can chime in on the new squared version from Bryston.Appearently even the highs are that much sweeter.
                Traditionally most amps need to be driven 1/3 or there about to give you it's much vaunted sound.
                A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"