X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the mc252 for my 805S

Would I see a huge difference with the mc252 as to my rotel RA-985 poweramp?

I found one in excellent condition for a great price...

Anyone here that jumped to the mc252 from any other gears that own the 805S or even the 800 series?? I would appreciate any input on this and sorry guys I already have a a thread about what mcintosh amp for othe 805S but I want specific opinions about the mc252.

I can afford the mc252 right now but if i wanted the mc402 I'd have to save up a bit longer. 8)

Also if I were to upgrade to a 803D or 802D later on would the mc252 be great to drive anyone of those (I'm thinking 803D might be but not the 802D).
  • Tommy
    • Dec 2006

Get a pair of MC501s so you don't have to worry about amp anymore in the future. Do it once and be done with it. You save money this way because you won't have to loose money selling MC252 to upgrade to MC402 or selling MC402 and upgrade to MC501.
    This is my logic. Save for longer and buy the best.

Comment

• jjahshik32
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Tommy
      Get a pair of MC501s so you don't have to worry about amp anymore in the future. Do it once and be done with it. You save money this way because you won't have to loose money selling MC252 to upgrade to MC402 or selling MC402 and upgrade to MC501.
      Thanks for your comment, I think unless my end goal was the b&w 800D I would consider the mc501 but its a bit extreme in $$ for me.

For the $$ I want to spend on this hobby I think the mc402 will be enough and is at the high end list of amps to own for me. Also the b&w 803D/802D is the highest I'll upgrade to.

Comment

• rodH
        • Aug 2002

Tommy, he is running a Yamaha reciever as a pre/pro, not sure 3X501's for his front soundstage is smart when considering the pre/pro. The weakest link.....

btw, 501 are pretty close to the pinnicle of McIntosh, but they don't do it without great sources and pre/pro.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
          Thanks for your comment, I think unless my end goal was the b&w 800D I would consider the mc501 but its a bit extreme in $$ for me.

For the $$ I want to spend on this hobby I think the mc402 will be enough and is at the high end list of amps to own for me. Also the b&w 803D/802D is the highest I'll upgrade to.
          Tommy is right.

If your going to go with the pinnacle of B&W's line, than you'll need to couple them to the right electonics and that means at least to the MC402 or better yet MC501's for the 803D/802D!

Just take a look at the power handling specs and you'll see those speakers can handle the extra power.

And that Yamaha receiver would definitely have to go as well to see any benefits of the larger speakers.

Comment

• quan325i
            • Apr 2005

True statement!

Comment

• dknightd
              • Mar 2006

Before "pulling the trigger" on a new amp try removing the Yamaha as the preamp and just use the Rotel. Very few AV receivers make a good preamp for a two channel setup. You might be better off using the Rotel integrated as it was intended.

Next time you consider system upgrades, can I suggest you start one thread and use it for all your discussion - it is very hard to keep track of all the various threads you've started then abandoned.

Remind us what you are using as source. If I were you I'd try to take a more coherent path. Figure out where you want to go. Figure out what you have to work with now. Try to figure out how to get from here to there. Don't forget your room - it should be considered an integral part of the system. For a simple 2 channel system you have

source -> preamp -> amp -> speaker -> room -> ear -> brain

(Any combination of source, preamp, amp might be in the same box - and source could be in more than one box).
              The result of this chain is only as good as the weakest link.

While it is good to try to buy something with the thought of never having to replace it, sometimes a more balanced approach can work better. Instead of trying to upgrade one component all the way, consider just jumping the weakest link in your chain to the level above the rest of your stuff. Depends on where you are starting, and how fast you think you can get where you are going, and if you think you might change your mind along the way. Personally I would never spend more on an amp than I spent on the speakers and room it was driving - but that is just me.

Comment

• sc2
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by dknightd
                Before "pulling the trigger" on a new amp try removing the Yamaha as the preamp and just use the Rotel. Very few AV receivers make a good preamp for a two channel setup. You might be better off using the Rotel integrated as it was intended.

Next time you consider system upgrades, can I suggest you start one thread and use it for all your discussion - it is very hard to keep track of all the various threads you've started then abandoned.

Remind us what you are using as source. If I were you I'd try to take a more coherent path. Figure out where you want to go. Figure out what you have to work with now. Try to figure out how to get from here to there. Don't forget your room - it should be considered an integral part of the system. For a simple 2 channel system you have

source -> preamp -> amp -> speaker -> room -> ear -> brain

(Any combination of source, preamp, amp might be in the same box - and source could be in more than one box).
                The result of this chain is only as good as the weakest link.

While it is good to try to buy something with the thought of never having to replace it, sometimes a more balanced approach can work better. Instead of trying to upgrade one component all the way, consider just jumping the weakest link in your chain to the level above the rest of your stuff. Depends on where you are starting, and how fast you think you can get where you are going, and if you think you might change your mind along the way. Personally I would never spend more on an amp than I spent on the speakers and room it was driving - but that is just me.

Now, exactly where is he going to get a new brain? :B
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"