X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

MC602 vs MC402 vs MC252

I have a good chance for McIntosh MC602 or MC402 or MC252 for my B&W 803s.

Anyone can compare them? Is it worth to go to MC602 or MC252 can do the job properly? Also what is a good price that i should expect from the dealer for these? And how MC602 is compared to MC501?

Darko
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Not uncommon to get 20% discount from dealer if you have a good connection with him. I drive my N804 with a rotel 500W digital amp with no problem. Previoulsy used a 130W/ch Rotel and did quite well. In my Mc system I use a MC252 on some Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M (4 ohm) and they require high current like the B&W. Have never come close to pegging the meters. My advice is get the most amp you can afford.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Darko,

I've owned the 252, and currently own the 402 to power my 802D's. Both do an excellent job. Superior depth, soundstage, very smooth, yet having excellent detail. The 402 does all that, but even better. The bass control is exceptional.

For 803's, any of these would be an excellent choice, and a distinct upgrade to the Rotel amps you have (as good as they are). I do think the 602 would be a bit of overkill for 803's. Unless you plan to upgrade to 801's or 800's in the future. On the other hand, the 602 would likely be the last stereo amp you would ever get, as it could drive just about anything.

As for 602 vs. 501, there might be some performance difference. But I think that would be more noticeable with larger, more demanding speakers. At the 803 level, I'm not sure there would be a great deal of difference between the two.

I notice you have a Mac C2300 pre-amp. The synergy with a Mac amp will be pretty awesome.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 16 September 2010, 18:02 Thursday.

Comment

• jericho
        • Dec 2004

I'm using a pair of 252's in mono on my 803D's

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jericho
          I'm using a pair of 252's in mono on my 803D's
          Did u have a chance to compare 252 in mono vs mc501?

I like the flexibility of choosing stereo vs mono if the sound quaility is same. Or still MC501 is different leagure then mono 252?

Darko

Comment

• Horacio
            • Jan 2005

Hey Darko.

It's me arguing for tubes again!

As usual, I agree with HTSteve. So not going to add much there. BUT, since you are already looking at McIntosh (makes sense since you own a 2300), why don't you audition the 803S with MC275? I drive my 804S with it and love it, and chose it over a MC252, despite the lower power rating. The 275 might be a little too little for the 803S, but for the price of a 402 you can get 2 MC275. I'm not saying you WILL like it better, as nobody but you can say that, but I'm saying this is the right time for you to evaluate that.

BTW, don't underestimate the MC275. I know of a guy over at A'gon using a C500T to drive 2 MC275 as monoblocks...some preamp to drive those "cheap" amps, ah? :B

Anyway, just wanted you to have that on your radar screen. Let us know what you decide.

Enjoy the hunt.

Comment

• jericho
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by specialized
              Did u have a chance to compare 252 in mono vs mc501?

I like the flexibility of choosing stereo vs mono if the sound quaility is same. Or still MC501 is different leagure then mono 252?

Darko

I have the 501's to feed my 802D's. I don't hear the difference between the 501 on the 802 or the 252's in mono on the 803D's

Comment

• specialized
                • Apr 2008

As usual, I agree with HTSteve. So not going to add much there. BUT, since you are already looking at McIntosh (makes sense since you own a 2300), why don't you audition the 803S with MC275? I drive my 804S with it and love it, and chose it over a MC252, despite the lower power rating. The 275 might be a little too little for the 803S, but for the price of a 402 you can get 2 MC275. I'm not saying you WILL like it better, as nobody but you can say that, but I'm saying this is the right time for you to evaluate that.

BTW, don't underestimate the MC275. I know of a guy over at A'gon using a C500T to drive 2 MC275 as monoblocks...some preamp to drive those "cheap" amps, ah? :B

I had a chance to have MC275 for a 2-3 weeks at my place. I really like the smooth vocals and midrange.. But when there was more dynamics in the music or more instruments seem that MC275 it's not enough for 803s. I also start to tink for two MC275 as mono, but seem that i dont like the fact that i have to buy tubes after a while.. SS AMP is more worry free

And i agreed with u that if we consider the sound maybe the two MC275 are the best thing but still i want to forget about any maintence in the amp..

Darko

Comment

• specialized
                  • Apr 2008

I have the 501's to feed my 802D's. I don't hear the difference between the 501 on the 802 or the 252's in mono on the 803D's

As i can compare them MC501 is balanced MC252 it's not.. And also MC501 it's more silent or MC252 in mono have the same specifications as MC501?

Darko

Comment

• jericho
                    • Dec 2004

As i can compare them MC501 is balanced MC252 it's not.. And also MC501 it's more silent or MC252 in mono have the same specifications as MC501?

Darko

Specifications on paper YES, but you have to trust your ears, I don't hear a difference

Comment

• specialized
                      • Apr 2008

Specifications on paper YES, but you have to trust your ears, I don't hear a difference
                      Then why would someone buy MC501 instead of MC252 in Mono and still to have flexibility for stereo if it's needet?

Darko

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

Then why would someone buy MC501 instead of MC252 in Mono and still to have flexibility for stereo if it's needet?

Darko

Darko,

A good question. The 252 does give flexibility. I believe part of the answer may be that the 501 may have better current delivery, but I'm certain about that. In general, I'm not a fan of bridging amps. Adds too much noise in the system. But with the Mac's excellent performance, I would not worry too much about that.

Another issue is overall quietness. My 402 has a lower noise floor than the 252 I had. It's supremely quiet. I would expect the 501 to be as good, or even slightly better than the 402. However, all are quite excellent for noise floor.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• specialized
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
                          Darko,

A good question. The 252 does give flexibility. I believe part of the answer may be that the 501 may have better current delivery, but I'm certain about that. In general, I'm not a fan of bridging amps. Adds too much noise in the system. But with the Mac's excellent performance, I would not worry too much about that.

Another issue is overall quietness. My 402 has a lower noise floor than the 252 I had. It's supremely quiet. I would expect the 501 to be as good, or even slightly better than the 402. However, all are quite excellent for noise floor.

Hope this helps.

Yes that's what i doubt it.. I also dont like bridging becouse teoreticaly add more distorsion .. Another thing that consider me.. MC252 is not fully balanced amp. I planed to get MC252 and in future to move to my rears.. Becouse i know that it's better to have longer interconnects then speaker cables i planned to move that amp to the rear running by loong interconects (5-6 meters) balanced. But since its not balanced seem that it much better solution MC402 just becouse it's fully balanced.. Or im wrong? Or to make question more clear, what is negative sides of MC252 not beeing balanced amp?

Darko

Comment

• htsteve
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Darko,

For me, the 402 was a quieter amp vs. the 252. Incredibly low noisefloor. Really allows the details and subtleties to come through.

That said, a 252 will run your 803's very well. Then moving it to the rears later would be a good plab.

I believe the 252 is a balanced amp. But the 402 and above are quad balanced amps. This, I believe, is what leads them to be so quiet. You can contact MAc or your dealer for the design specifics.

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by htsteve; 20 September 2010, 14:19 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"