X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brishea
    • Jun 2007

Amp for 802

It's my first time in this forum and I need help.
    I'm planning to change my system which consists of 4 603s3's and lcr600 to 802d's fronts, htm1d center, and 804's rear. I am planning to bi-amp the fronts and centers but not the rears. I was debating between the classe 3200 for the fronts and centers and classe 2200 for the rears or the bryston 6bsst for the fronts and center and 4bsst for the rears. Planned pre-amp/processor is anthem d2. Please offer suggestions and any input will be most welcome.
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Welcome to the land of many opinons on the subject. Why Bi-amp ? Why different brands ?

I've heard from many posters that Classe goes well with B&W so you should be OK.

Once again Big Welcome :banana: :banana:

Comment

• jack d
      • Sep 2006

There are a lot of threads on this subject. Around here I think it's safe to say that Classe and Mac amps and processors are the consensus favorites to go with the 800 series. There are some other variations (like Bryston) that some like as well which I'm sure you will discover as you read through the threads.

FWIW, I have exactly the speaker combination that you are contemplating. I use a Meridian G68 processor and five Mac 501 monoblocs for amplification. I love it.

Yeah, why passive bi-amp? Just get at least 400wpc of quality power to the front three and you will be good to go. The 802s really sing with enough power. Don't skimp.

Comment

• brishea
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by jack d
        There are a lot of threads on this subject. Around here I think it's safe to say that Classe and Mac amps and processors are the consensus favorites to go with the 800 series. There are some other variations (like Bryston) that some like as well which I'm sure you will discover as you read through the threads.

FWIW, I have exactly the speaker combination that you are contemplating. I use a Meridian G68 processor and five Mac 501 monoblocs for amplification. I love it.

Yeah, why passive bi-amp? Just get at least 400wpc of quality power to the front three and you will be good to go. The 802s really sing with enough power. Don't skimp.

will 2 bryston 7b sst be equal in performance to a 14b sst or better?

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by brishea
          will 2 bryston 7b sst be equal in performance to a 14b sst or better?
          I think that the 7B has a little more power. Check the Bryston Website.

Comment

• Glenee
            • Aug 2006

If you have the choice between one 14b sst or two 7b sst. My opinon is that you are usually better off going with the two mono's. Here are some things to thinks about for the future other than Audio considerations which you will get a lot of help from here on those aspects.
            1. The ability to put the Amp close to the speaker( Saves on speaker wire cost when trying different brands of speaker wire. We all know that when you use a good XLR cable the difference is less noticible than with speaker wire.
            2.Most people don't live in the same house until they die. Now let's talk about electrical limitations. The option of plugging the 7b sst into different wall sockets for power (i.e. 15amp vrs minimum 20amp for 14b sst)
            3. What about when the Wife want's to redecorate or you get new furnishings once you figure a place out to put the speakers. Setting the Mono's is a lot easier than trying to find the place for the 14b sst. All of us know the woman we married walking down the Isle is not the same woman we live with from day to day. ( Things are going to change) If the time comes you can hide them suckers for decore. You ain't hiding NO 14b SST.
            4. All the audio benfits lower noise floor etc, etc, etc,
            Glenee Says go with the Mono's

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

And resale value of monos is better...

Comment

• jack d
                • Sep 2006

As I said I've got a Mac mono driving each of my speakers and I think it's the way to go. My totally un-scientific view is that with monos the speaker gets to hog everything that the amp has to offer and that produces a great result. And you should give the 802Ds everything that they "want" because you will be rewarded with gorgeous sound. Since I know them intimately now I can tell you that they want a lot of high quality amplification.

Comment

• Gremal
                  • Apr 2007

It's all about quality. The speakers are sensitive enough so that it isn't as quantity-hungry as folks pretend--especially the dealers who are trying to sell 500 W monoblocks. I seriously doubt my 802Ds draw more than 10-12 WPC even on earsplitting peak levels.
                  Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                  Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                  B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                  VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                  Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• jack d
                    • Sep 2006

Well maybe it's just a matter of opinon. In my case, it had nothing to do with what the dealers were trying to sell me because they weren't trying to sell me the 500wpc monoblocs. I tried them and found that they made a difference.

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

I had the 7B SST with my old 802s and it was a really good combination.

I now have them driving my new 800Ds and it is still awesome.

Dont forget that the 14B SST just about doubles up on the power of the 7B SST so that could only be a change for the better.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

Why not 2 rotel 1091 500watt mono amps or the stereo version 1092 (1K watts at 4ohms)? They are BW's choice for the custom theater 800 systems and should be a perfect choice for the 802. Their reviews have been fantastic.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by caleb
                          I had the 7B SST with my old 802s and it was a really good combination.

I now have them driving my new 800Ds and it is still awesome.

Dont forget that the 14B SST just about doubles up on the power of the 7B SST so that could only be a change for the better.
                          Isn't the 14B SST a stereo amp? If so, you are referring to using 2 14B's and bi-amping each speaker. I find that the 7B's have more than enough power. Mine get warm at best.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"