X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSamF
    • Mar 2004

Biamp Wire Configuration

I am considering purchasing a second Rotel 1095 unit to biamp two 1095 units (2x 200w x 5) which would allow me to biamp my center and two fronts (six channels) and then use a single channel for surrounds and rears. I was thinking of upgrading the fronts by adding a 2 channel amp while now getting 7.1, but I would really like to get more power to my center as well. So this seems like a good solution (unless anyone can talk me out of it or offer a different solution)

How the heck would I configure the wires???

FOR THE FRONT LEFT SPEAKER: My guess is from the processor take the left front out channel rca that goes to the amp and split it with a male/female/female adapter and plug into two separate amp inputs. Then run a single speaker wire from one of the amp channels to the speaker terminal (top or bottom) and do same with the other channel and connect to the other speaker terminal.

And do the same with the right front and center.

1) Is this correct?
    2) Does it matter which amp or channels to do it to? (I am assuming to try to biamp the same amp, but since there are 6 channels, one of the channels-assuming the center-would have to be biamped using each of the amps
    3) If I am right, do you loose a lot of signal integrity using a splitter and get a degradation of sound?

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas or calling me an idiot but providing a solution would be helpful.

Thanks for your help,
    Sam
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

That's seems correct :T One of the most important steps here is the high quality splitter between pre/pro and amp. I recommend you click on the link for Cat cables at the bottom of the page and order some from Doug. I've heard very nice things about his splitters for just this purpose. You definitely don't want to skimp here, but don't worry, Doug's prices are very reasonable

Other than that I'd actually probably use the seperate amps for each channel. In other words I'd use the L channel on one 1095 for the low freq's and the other L channel on the other 1095 for the high freq's. Same for R and C. Then use the 4 surround channels for your four surrounds That way you have two kick ass amps with their own power supply's etc for each of the front three channels :T You may want to contact your speaker manufacturer to find out what ratio of power they recommend to the highs vs. lows of your particular speakers for bi-amping. Some speakers are around 50:50 where as some are 60:40 etc. So you may be better off with a different amp....

What speakers are you running that you need two 1095's anyways?! :E (You lucky SOB : :lol: )

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• GSamF
      • Mar 2004

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I have B&W 804's. Yes some people might consider this overkill, and although they are not as power hungry as the 802's, I do know the more power the better. Plus I think I can get a used 1095 at a good price and have my HTM1 center with all the juice it needs, and my fronts WELL taken care of with this configuration.

I just don't know if I should do this or get the 1090 for the fronts, but if I do the 1090, my center won't get the added punch.

Any thoughts at where my $2K is better well served? (Music 60%, Movies 40?) btw-how do I find out the ratio?

Thanks Jason

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

These ratios are really nothing more than marketing speak.

If a room and the system in it is properly set up, the sound will be good for music and well as movie soundtracks. Some people chose to turn the LFE output up somewhat to increase the impact from movies. Other than that, the overall tonal balance should be the same. Accurate sound for movies is equally important as accurate sound for music

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Thomas I think the ratios he's speaking of are the crossover ratios of high vs low in his speakers. For example speaker "A" might have 55% of it's power applied to the bass driver and 45% to the mid and high frequency drivers via the crossover. Speaker "B" however might have it split exactly 50% / 50%. In speaker "A"'s case you would want say a 220W amp for the bass and a 180w amp for the highs. Speaker "B" however would likely perform better with two identical amps.

Sam, send an email off to B&W and just ask them what ratio would be best for your speakers. You generally can't go wrong with the manufacturers recommendations

As for 1095+1095 or 1095+ 1090. I think the 1090 would be overkill in a biamping configuration, you could quite easily use it solely to power the mains. With your preference for 2-channel music I might be tempted to go with a 2-channel amp but the only way to tell for sure is to listen and hear which one you prefer. If you do get the 1090, you could use it to power your mains and biamp your centre with your existing 1095 and still have a channel left for one rear centre...?

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The ratios I was referring to are ones like "I use my system for 55% music and 45% HT" or whatever..........

B&W 804's are really nice speakers. Given that 1090's put out a TON of power, I doubt that you'll hear any appreciable difference using 2 separate amps over 1. Since basically you're not actually 'bi-amping', you're 'bi-wiring' and using to amps to do that. My experience is that minimal benefit is obtained doing this unless one starts out with wimpy power amp.

True 'bi-amping' means eliminating the passive crossover replacing it with an active XO. That's a pretty involved process that does result in better performance IF the passive XO has a flawed design. I imagine that the B&W XO's are pretty good.

So make a long story short, I recommend spending the $2K to upgrade something else in the system.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GSamF
              • Mar 2004

Thanks guys.

I'll shoot B&W an email.

I forgot that I could still biamp the center if I went with the 1090 and only use one rear, since at least at my current home that is all I have room for (of course I want to upgrade homes too-what a sickness). The great world of dvd's with rear sound has yet to use discrete channels for rears plus I listen to almost all my music in stereo so it wouldn't effect that.

Have you guys heard any a/b tests with one speaker in the back compared to two? Because I have my old B&W center speaker cc6 that would fit perfectly both physically and aestetically (and yes I know it won't be a seamless integration) but no way I have room for two speakers now.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

5.1 Dolby Digital has discrete rear signals, so using a single speaker means that one channel would be completely missing. Not really what you want for 'effects' channels, where sound is being panned from side to side or from front to back.......

BTW bi-wiring a center channel with a second amplifier, is pretty much as waste of time and money

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

This is true, if you're not crossing over the signal prior to the amp, bi-amping offers little improvement unless you're already using smallish amps, which Sam is not :lol: Again I still recommend the single 1090 for the mains. The 1095 should be plenty of juice for your centre/surrounds. I think Sam's referring to using one rear speaker in a 6.1 configuration with two additional surrounds, right Sam? In which case I can't see how bi-amping the centre would hurt, though you're right it likley won't be a night and day difference. So Sam, it's up to you, biamp the centre in a 6.1 configuration or just go 7.1.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"