X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

To Biamp or not to Biamp

I'm having thoughts about upgrading my system and want some advice on which direction to proceed. Currently I have a RMB1075 driving the fronts center and side surrounds of a 7.1 system with a RB1050 driving the rears. I have contemplated two different possibilities. The first is to change the 1050 to a 1080 and have the 1080 drive the L&R fronts (Klipsch RF7s) leaving the five channels of 1075 to drive the center, side surrounds and rears. My second option would be to change the 1050 for another 1075 and have three channels of each 1075 provide half the spectrum in a horizontal biamp configuration to the R,L and Center. The RF7s and my RC 7 are both biwireable and biampable. This would give me the advantage of having twice the power for the center as well as the mains. This would leave a total of 4 channels (2 from each 1075)left for my two side surrounds and two rears, which by the way are not biampable.

Cost for either upgrade would be essentially the same.
    Jerry Rappaport
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

I am curious here...Klipsch are very sensitive speakers.....what exactly are you lookin`to achieve here....

I need a better understanding.... ops: Bam!`s a little slow tonight!

Thanks!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Bam's correct. The Klipsch speakers are 102db so I really don't think biamping is going to achieve much. If anything I would bi-wire and save your money.

ht_addict

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Bam!
        I am curious here...Klipsch are very sensitive speakers.....what exactly are you lookin`to achieve here....
        Thanks!
        While yes, the RF7s are very efficient, they do like power, especially in a large room like mine (over 7000 cu ft). I have heard over at the Klipsch forum that 200-250 watts is the optimum size amp for RF7s. More power per channel may improve the part of my listening experience that is 2 channel.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I've often debated the 1075 & 1080 Vs two 1075's myself for when I can actually afford them

Really both are excellent options. I'd say if you watch more movies than music go for the two 1075's. If it's more music than movies, the 1075 & 1080.

I'd also email Klipsh to find out what percentage of power the crossover sends to the horn/midrange driver Vs bass driver. This will help you determine which amp has the right power ratio as well as which amp to use on the high frequency drivers Vs low frequency drivers.

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• Chuck
            • Apr 2004

I'm considering biamping as well. My train of thought went something like this to come to the question:
            1) not quite 100% happy with the fullness of sound from multichannel in my 1056. For example in the 'swarm of smiths' scene from Matrix reloaded the hits sound like steaks falling on concrete. Now this would be good, if it sounded like 16 oz steaks rather than 4 oz steaks. (ps, in Fight Club when Brad Pitt falls after being 'shot' in the head, they use steaks on concrete for the sound of his body hitting the floor).
            2)Since I think I need more watts, I considered adding a 1080 stereo amp.
            3) decided that wouldn't help the surround sound that much, so considered upgrading to the 1067 7 channel receiver instead.
            4) for about that price I could have the 1056 & 5 channel 1075 amp. Would this be a better decision than the 1067? Does a 1056 for highs and 1075 for lows sound good, making a near 200 watts per channel? all five of my quad speakers have the dual posts so I should at least consider using it

Also I'm hoping for clearer sound at low volumes, I don't know if more watts would help that or hurt that(I don't know if gear sounds weaker at lower volumes because it's eager to rumble).

As for the weak 'slaps' and crunch in movies I've upped the center channel a few dbs(which helps) and messed around with the contours, but there's still a little bit missing. I'm still trying! I haven't lost hope yet!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"