X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbie100
    • May 2007

803Ds or XT4s for Stereo?

Hi I'm new to hifi and I've read good things about both the 803Ds and XT4s. I know the 803Ds are much more expensive, but is there a big difference in performance between the 2 speakers?
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by newbie100
    Hi I'm new to hifi and I've read good things about both the 803Ds and XT4s. I know the 803Ds are much more expensive, but is there a big difference in performance between the 2 speakers?
    yes.

803D are fantastic speakers, but you'll need to invest in proper pre/pro, amps and sources to get the best out of them. If you are using average electronics, the XT4 might be a better buy. What is you other gear?

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I have a pair of XT2s as front bookshelf speakers, along with an HTM7 center channel speaker in a small family room HT setup. I have also listened to the XT4s. They are very good sounding speakers, but I find the XT2s to be less efficient than my other speakers including the HTM7 center speaker driven by the same receiver (Yamaha 6 channel X 120 watts per channel) . . . even though the efficiency ratings are similar in these two speakers.

I think the XT Series is a very good speaker if you need to save space, or only want slim profile speakers.

You may also need comparable wattage to drive the XT4s, as you would for the 703s and possibly for the 803Ds as well (the other two floor standing speaker sets I have in another setup).

I much prefer the 703s over the XT4s ($3,000 list vs. $2,500 list). The 803Ds ($8,000 list) are a higher line of speaker that really can't be compared with the XT2s (IMO).

With the 703s or the XT4s, you would really need to fill in the base with a quality sub woofer. A B&W ASW750 sub matches extremely well with the 703s. Or, the DD Series or Contractor Series Velodyne subs with equalization are great subs that also do well with B&W speakers.

Comment

• newbie100
        • May 2007

I expect to be hooking these up to a Classe 2200 and a CP500 if that makes a difference.

Comment

• Birdy
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by newbie100
          I expect to be hooking these up to a Classe 2200 and a CP500 if that makes a difference.
          Then go for the 803D!!! Beautifull association with 500 & 2200!! :T :P

Birdy

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Are you in the US where they have the upgrade scheme if you purchase within 12 months?

If so you could get the XT now then go listen to 803D in 10 months time, fall in love with it and grab a pair. If it was me and I had the bank balance the 803D would be what is known in some circles as a "no brainer". But that is me- you might be happy with the XT sound and would prefer to spend those other dollars on music.

That being said, Classe level gear deserves 800 series.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Ted
              • May 2006

With Classe, no question, 803Ds!! You won't go wrong!
              Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• akhter
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Birdy
                Then go for the 803D!!! Beautifull association with 500 & 2200!! :T :P

Birdy
                Classe gear and B&W 800 series were made for each other. Forget about the XT.

Comment

• Cambs12
                  • Jul 2006

I agree,Classe amps are very good,would be wasted on XT4s,i have listened at length to 803d,it's a fabulous system,and i would have no hesitation in buying a pair..

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"