X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

I want??

Hello, I would like a really good wide and bright sound stage, something that will really fill my living room!! Something with a very strong and powrful midrange and not to much bass because the 750 will fix that!

Here´s what I have in mind!!

I have 2 pairs of 602s3´s and a asw750!

so I´ll sell a pair of 602s and buy one of the following!!

805s
    CM7
    XT4

My biggest problem is, the fact that the only shop within 200miles of where I live has each of those speakers in different rooms, and they won´t move them all into the same room! The is a real big difference between the sound, echo, size and layout of the demo rooms!!

So my next best bet, is you guys!!

I listen mostly to music in both stereo and surround, such as dvd-A and SACD!

What to do??

:roll:
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

easy, go for the 805S

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

I have the 703s and your wish list describes them perfectly. I personally feel the 805S is a compromise compared to the 703s. The 805S good for surrounds.

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

703s.
        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

I love my 703's. Maybe a little bright when played too loud (I've got a fairly small room too, so I sit pretty close), but otherwise they are great!!
          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Aldo
            • Sep 2005

805s!!!

Comment

• Tommy
              • Dec 2006

I agree with Aldo.
              I have the 805S and they are awesome. Better highs and mids compared to the 703s. Plus, 805S look much more elegant =)

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Tommy
                I agree with Aldo.
                I have the 805S and they are awesome. Better highs and mids compared to the 703s. Plus, 805S look much more elegant =)
                More Elegant?

Comment

• DeepEndX
                  • Feb 2005

Without a doubt, 805S

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

805S, but i believe you need to complement them with a capable sub. For a large room, also be prepared to provide enough juice. At least 150W.

Comment

• karnaaj
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Tommy
                      I agree with Aldo.
                      I can't possibly see how the 805's are more elegant.

Comment

• Tommy
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by karnaaj
                        I can't possibly see how the 805's are more elegant.
                        To my eyes anyway. I like its separate tweeter on the top and the shape of the cabinet is more streamlined.
                        I just love the design of 800 series speakers :T

Comment

• ac81017
                          • Aug 2006

Hmmmm

Well, So it´s a battle between 805 and 703s!!! Does anyone know the difference between how they sound?? I want the biggest sound stage, I want vocals to fill my room without being to bright! For some reason I like my music to be in my face!

In turns of amplification, do the 703s need a more powerful amp than the 805s´s??

Would there be an inbalance between 703/805 agianst my rear speakers 602s3??

:T

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

The 703 is a three way tower speaker and is full of sound. The 805S is a two way speaker, and is very good for what it is designed for . . . bookshelf or rear surround. The 703s are efficient, but can also handle anything you throw at them.

The 703s would probably do just as well with the 805s, as they would with your speakers. But, you will probably want to add another set of 703s, or a set of 805s for surrounds down the road, as both have greater capabilities.
                            Last edited by beden1; 06 March 2007, 12:07 Tuesday.

Comment

• nicky
                              • Jan 2007

When I was extensively auditioning for my new dream B&Ws while I was saving my money, I listened to both the 800 and 700 series. The 800s were just too expensive for me but I like yourself did seriously look at the lowest end of the 800s the 805S versus 703 as the main speakers for my system.

I know that the tech behind the 805S are better, but to me the 703 were much better. I liked the floorstand 800s much better like the 803s, 803d, 801d, 800d and my favorite 802d but compared to bookself speakers to floorstands, the floorstand B&W are much better again in my opinion.

In reality, No One can answer your question on what is better for you but yourself. Take some of your favorite CDs or DVDs and listen for yourself at the B&W stores. People have different tastes and there is no wrong answer since all are pretty good.

My B&W System:
                              htm7
                              DS7
                              ASW750

Comment

• Joey_V
                                • Jul 2005

Hear the two yourself and decide. I personally think that the 703 is a better deal...
                                Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• dknightd
                                  • Mar 2006

You really do have to hear them for yourself. IMO the 703 has better bass and midrange, the 805 has better treble. I chose the 703. But this was for 2-channel music with no subwoofer. I personally don't like the microphone (tweeter) on top look, but, since I listen to my speakers more than look at them that really did not enter my decision making. Both are fine speakers. Either will sound better than your 602s. Maybe, maybe, maybe the 805 will be a closer match sonically since it does not have the FST midrange, or maybe not - I do not know. . . So much of this is personal preference and there is no right answer. Matched with a subwoofer, maybe I would have prefered the 805.

Comment

• BTB
                                    • Jan 2006

ac81017

As I'm sure you already know, there is no such thing as the perfect loudspeaker... and your final choice is really a balancing act based on what you require and finding the closest match, considering that no one design can do it all for you.

Looking at some of your wishes...

1) You want "room filling" sound, well in my view small speakers just don't do this as well as big speakers can, too much is compromised in terms of sensitivity and cabinet volume, even with a sub in tow. Dynamic tension and a greater sense of realism (of scale, etc.) are inherently stronger with bigger cabinets. So count that as a vote for the 703's...

2) You want big, open midrange. The 703 has a dedicated midrange driver, and the midrange is exceptionally open and clear. So, another vote for the 703's.

3) Brightness... here I'm confused, in your first post you say you want bright sound, in a later post you say you don't, then you say you like sound "in yer face". Regardless, it's interesting that this just so happens to be where the biggest difference in the sonic character of these two speakers lies... the 703 is pretty bright (the top end can be quite taxing at times) while the 805 is best described as a bit laid back and the treble in particular has far less of the "etched" quality of the 703. So depending on if bright sound is what you want... this is the big deciding factor.

If it were my choice (in a medium to large room) I'd go for the big speakers every time and do what I could to "tune" the strong treble. Also; don't disregard the 704... it's not a model that gets alot of love on this forum, but in many ways it offers (in my view anyway) a workable compromise between the two extremes described above.

3)

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"