X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlam
    • Nov 2005

805S or 703 ?

what would be the advantages of 805s over the 703s for 65% home theatre and 35% music where space is not a concern? The 805s plus a pair of stands roughly equal in price to the 703s. Is the tweeter in the 8 series that much better than the ones in the 7 series?

does anyone know the thread size of the bolt needed to secure the 805s on the bottom of the speaker?

thanks.
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

I asked a similar question here before: 805s plus a sub, or 703s for stereo only. I got mixed replies, that actually confused me more...One thing is for sure, they will start telling you the usual: "go listen for yourself"

Comment

• dlam
      • Nov 2005

what did you end up getting?

did you get the 805S plus a sub or the 703s? what sub if the choice was the 805S?

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Hands down the 805S's over the 703's for someone that prefers HT over 2-channel. I suspect you would eventually add a center channel and surrounds to the mix. The HTM4S and the SCSM's (or another pair of 805S's) are tonally matched where as the 703's are to a far lesser degree with the HTM7 and the DS7's.

The tweeter assembly of the 800S's is better than either of the N800's or 700's (which happen to be very similar).
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

Rebelman is right, the 703 are not suited to home theatre, because there is no matching center channel. 703 vs 805S for music, no doubt about the 703 being better... but the choice is less clear if you consider 2x 703 vs 2x 805S + sub, although I would still prefer the 703 in that case. The tweeter is better in the 805S, but the mid driver is better in 703, so there is no clear winner, except the 805S doesn't sound real until you add a sub, whereas the 703 is fine without a sub.

Comment

• Loner
            • Nov 2005

Timbre for 700's

Why is it that the 703's aren't properly matched for the HTM7 and the DS7's? Why would B&W do that? If that's the case, is there another center properly matched to the 703?

I'm asking since I'm very interested in pursuing an HT/2 ch system consisting of the 703 x 2, HTM7 and a pair of the DS7's.

It would be 50/50 music and HT. Thanks.
            Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by dlam
              did you get the 805S plus a sub or the 703s? what sub if the choice was the 805S?
              Not yet. I am trying to purchase a home first, and then fit all my equipment for any upgrade (see my profile for my current setup). Afterall, who knows if I can afford a home here in Northern VA, DC area with this prices of real estate now!!!

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

The 703 has no matching centre channel because B&W are not listening to their customers. I have asked several times, but their response is, "there is no market for another center channel with price/performance characteristics so close to existing offerings". BS.

In order of audio preference, for 703 L/R, the center should be: 703, 704, HTM1, HTM3S, 705, HTM2, HTM4S, HTM7.

Now, some may place the HTM7 close the front in this list, but I've been dissapointed with it and sold it... it is a little boxy sound mid-range, not as good as the 705 for bass, and isn't good enough for the 703 (except for the tweeter, which is perfectly matched, the rest is not). The older 800 series has a tweeter that is similar but not identical in sound, but much better cabinet contruction so no "boxiness". The HTM1 has a FST-driver.

Comment

• akhter
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Loner
                  Why is it that the 703's aren't properly matched for the HTM7 and the DS7's? Why would B&W do that? If that's the case, is there another center properly matched to the 703?

I'm asking since I'm very interested in pursuing an HT/2 ch system consisting of the 703 x 2, HTM7 and a pair of the DS7's.

It would be 50/50 music and HT. Thanks.
                  My dealer tells me the new xt series is good enough that the 7 series is about to go away, which is why they stopped developing new products for that series. Its true that the 7 series is pretty new itself, but having heard the new xt series, i have to say i agree. I am thinking about adding an xt center to the n804 fronts.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Loner
                    This approach is no different with their 800 series. One shouldn't pair an HTM4S with the 804S's any more than they should pair the HTM7 with the 703's. Unfortunately, as csuzor said, the 703's do not have a matching center. You could bend the rules and do it anyway but the series just wasn't designed that way.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• csuzor
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by akhter
                      My dealer tells me the new xt series is good enough that the 7 series is about to go away, which is why they stopped developing new products for that series. Its true that the 7 series is pretty new itself, but having heard the new xt series, i have to say i agree. I am thinking about adding an xt center to the n804 fronts.
                      I think your dealer wants to reduce the number of models he has to stock, so he can spread this unfounded rumour. And adding a XTC to the n804 is just not the right thing to do, different tweeter, different mid driver, no bass driver... why would you want to? for the "silver" look?

B&W dont typically add products incrementally to a range, they all come out together and then they move on to another range and upgrade those. That is why there is no center for 703, it was a bad marketing decision years ago.

Comment

• tdiciple
                        • Nov 2005

It is too bad they didn't have the matching Center channel for the 703.

The HTM7 does not have the FST to match the 703. HTM7 will match however with 704 and any of the lower series of the 700.

I wouldn't say the HTM7 is disappointing though. I used to match them with the DM603s1 before matching them up with 804s. I would have to say that the sound of HTM7 is quite good. The conversation came up very clear and easily understood.

The only gripe I have with it is that the looks doesn't match my 804. So soon enough I will be sellling the HTM7 and replace it with HTM3S.

Comment

• Loner
                          • Nov 2005

So, is the HTM3S best paired with the 703's? If not, which B&W center speaker matches them? Thanks.
                          Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• akhter
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                            I think your dealer wants to reduce the number of models he has to stock, so he can spread this unfounded rumour. And adding a XTC to the n804 is just not the right thing to do, different tweeter, different mid driver, no bass driver... why would you want to? for the "silver" look?

B&W dont typically add products incrementally to a range, they all come out together and then they move on to another range and upgrade those. That is why there is no center for 703, it was a bad marketing decision years ago.
                            1. Look--the HTM 4 is too tall and I can't move my wall mounted LCD much higher without completely remounting it. While I think 800 all the way through the 805 are beautiful speakers, the centers are all quite ugly, imho.
                            2. I don't chare much about HT, so the xtc is 'good enough'. I care mostly about 2-ch music, and the center is mostly for watching tv/movies.

Comment

• tdiciple
                              • Nov 2005

HI Loner,

If you just want to match the FST, then you can go with a used HTM1, or HTM3S (new or used). HTM2D and HTM1D also have the FST, but they are significantly more expensive than HTM1 or HTM3S.

However if your budget is lower, I don't think HTM7/HTM2/HTM4S/XTC is a bad option. Albeit, they don't have the FST. However, IMHO, I think they are pretty good.

Comment

• Loner
                                • Nov 2005

Thanks for the info tdiciple ! 8)

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"