X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack667
    • Jul 2007

Thinking of upgrading - 703s or 805s?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the 805s and 703s.

I haven't heard either speaker yet, but I can tell you that my listening room for now is only 9' x 12' .

I listen to a wide variety of music, and I do like music loud. They will be used in a stereo set up with my amp, the $4000 Bladelius/Advantage Thor (165w / ch) .

I think I am swaying towards 805s with a sub as I do miss proper bass with my modest 685s

I'm a big fan of B&W, so I don't think I can go TOO wrong!

Any opinions greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

703 vs. 805s

Hi jack667,

Go with the 805s without doubt!

Is a superlative speakers / nautilus serie's

I have changed from 703 from 805S no words.

Greetings from Switzerland
    Omar

Comment

• jack667
      • Jul 2007

Hi Omar,

Thanks for your reply!

Did you notice a big improvement over the 703 when switching to the 805s?

By the way, do you use a sub with them?

Thanks!

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I really can't see how you could compare the 805S to the 703s for use as your main speakers. The 805s are satellite speakers and are not intended as main speakers . . . and the 703s are full range speakers that are intended to be used as main speakers! IMO however, both benefit with a matching sub like the ASW 750, but the 703s will do a much better job as your mains/fronts.
        Last edited by beden1; 30 August 2007, 19:44 Thursday.

Comment

• Glenee
          • Aug 2006

Get the 805S's and JL Audio Fanthom F112 and get ready. Sounds almost llike 802's when you get it dialed in. If you can't go the JL try a Martin Logan Depth in that room.
          Just get ready.
          Glenee

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

Trebble 805>703
            midrange 805<703
            bass 805<703 (unless you add a subwoofer)

Comment

• jack667
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by beden1
              I really can't see how you could compare the 805S to the 703s for use as your main speakers. The 805s are satellite speakers and are not intended as main speakers . . . and the 703s are full range speakers that are intended to be used as main speakers! IMO however, both benefit with a matching sub like the ASW 750, but the 703s will do a mutch better job as your fronts.
              They're not fronts - and that's not true about just using them as satellite speakers. Have you read the Hifi Choice review?

Obviously they are very different, but I'm talking about PURE music here, not HT.

Comment

• jack667
                • Jul 2007

ps thanks to everyone who has replied

Comment

• Glenee
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jack667
                  They're not fronts - and that's not true about just using them as satellite speakers. Have you read the Hifi Choice review?

Obviously they are very different, but I'm talking about PURE music here, not HT.
                  And Jack I was talking about pure music!
                  Glenee 8) :T

Comment

• jack667
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Glenee
                    And Jack I was talking about pure music!
                    Glenee 8) :T
                    I know :T

Comment

• James63
                      • Dec 2006

I listend to both and found the vocals on the 805s to be lacking compared to the 703.....I bought the 703.
                      Last edited by James63; 01 September 2007, 17:48 Saturday.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

I was referring to music listening as well (who even referred to HT?). I also have the 703s as well as the 803Ds, and have listened to all of B&Ws' speakers extensively.

If they are not fronts/main speakers, then what are they? You said you were looking for what appeared to be main/front speakers. Where do you put your main speakers, if not in front?

Why did you even ask the question or start the thread, if you didn't want opinions? Just buy what you want, as you obviously already made up your mind!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to listen to satellite speakers as your mains, far be it for me to try and persuade you differently. My 703s were my main/front speakers before upgrading to the 803Ds.

It never ceases to amaze me how little knowledge people actually have, whom present themselves as knowing all the answers!

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Plus, what did you think when YOU listened to the difference between the two speakers? Or, are you basing your "opinions" purely from some obscure source like HiFi Choice Review (a small player in the field of stereophile reviews IMO)?

2 Way speakers VS. 3 way-full range speakers?

B&W says:

When there is not enough space for a floor-standing speaker, the stand- or bookshelf-mount 805S gives 800 Series sound quality in a compact system.

Even if you have a relatively small listening room, there's no reason why you should forgo superb sound quality. The 805S is a compact 2-way system that gives a surprisingly full sound for its size and will not intrude into the room.

Here, woven Kevlar® is the cone material of choice for the role of combined bass and midrange driver. Distortion levels are minimised with our 'Balanced Drive' system. First introduced in the Signature 805, Balanced Drive involves the addition of copper and aluminium components to the magnet system to reduce variations in voice coil inductance as the coil moves in the magnetic field. This is a distortion-producing mechanism that particularly affects bass/midrange drivers and can impair clarity if not attended to.

A separate stand is available that visually matches the style of the 805S and supports it firmly at the correct listening height.

Comment

• nicky
                            • Jan 2007

I know that the technology used in the 805s is supposed to be better but when comparing a tower speaker like 703 to a 805s which is a bookself, to me with actual heavy listening, the 703 was much better for me.

I listened to the 703 and the 805s a lot when I was considering the both and for music listening the 703 was much much better. Maybe for home theater use, the 805s may be a better match for you with a subwoofer and matching center. But if you listen to a lot of music, I prefer the 703....and I've noticed from other listenings that a tower speaker in general tend to sound much better and perfrom much better for the buck when the speakers are about in the same range and when compared to equivalent bookshelf speakers....just my experience and opinion.

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

805 vs 703

@beden1,

I have at first a set with 703 front / htm7 center / cdm7nt rear...
                              now I have changed with a 803S front / htm3s center / 805s rear..

Wehn I have recieved the 805S at first I have tried as mains speakers for test... I think that the 805s are more impressive as 703.
                              The sound fron nautilus 805 is much better as 703.
                              At first time I don't believe I self that the 805 is a better speaker from 703 now I have heart and I say without doubt: 805S at first!!!

Greetings from Switzerland
                              Omar

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

It never ceases to amaze me how little knowledge people actually have, whom present themselves as knowing all the answers!
                                Now take a moment to reflect on that statement Beden1.

805s is a standmount or a "bookshelf" speaker (generally not a good place to put them - but they would probably fit in one) - and a very good one at that. It has modest abilities in the low frequencies however for many people that is not an issue due to small rooms, musical taste or simply their preferences.

Both are very nice speakers, Jack 667 has an amp that will drive either speaker. The only other information provided that can be commented on is that he prefers his music loud. To some degree that will favour the 703 but loud is a relative term and in a small room the 805 may sound a bit cleaner due to its more modest bass (at least the room isn't 12' by 12' - that would not be good for bass).

The more that I talk to various people about their buying choices the more I come to realise that there is a good reason for all those little hifi companies - no two peoples taste is ever the same. I do love listening to other peoples systems because they almost always have merit even if I would not have made their choices.

If you can't demo those two speakers (preferrable at home) then you will never know which is best - in fact I don't think there is a best.

For me (and me only) I would go 805s - and they look a treat as well (another personal preference).
                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jan 2006

Jack667, if it were my choice, I'd go for the 805s. But ... that's only my OPINION. What I suggest is that you try as hard as you can to listen to both these speakers. The choice that you make WILL be the right choice for you but only once you have heard them and thus lessen your risk in the decision-making process.

As Briz vegas says.

Good luck!

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

Of course, there are a lot of factors to consider when comparing speakers. I have a pair of 805S in my 5.1 system, complimented by the matching center (HTM4S), surrounds (SCMS), and sub (ASW 850). For an HT setup, this combination is superb.

However, I also have the CDM 9NTs in a two-channel setup. The 9NT is the predecessor to the 703, so I would think the comparison would be very similar. For strictly two-channel music, I would probably tend to go with the 703, considering the price. I am very happy with the sound of the 9NT in a two-channel setup. If you add a sub to the 805S, the sound will also be excellent, but a good sub would bump the price up substantially over a pair of 703s.
                                    Brad

Comment

• jack667
                                      • Jul 2007

<<Text Deleted by Aussie Geoff>> chris Beden1, you need to chill <<Text Deleted by Aussie Geoff>> out.

<<Text Deleted by Aussie geoff>>

I am interested to hear everyones opinions, and their own experiences, and I don't need you to quote what is written on the B&W site to me.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.. appreciated!
                                      Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 31 August 2007, 21:35 Friday.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                        • Jul 2006

703 any day. Unless you sub the 805's its really no contest. If you are considering the 703, also audition the XT4. They all have different character but the floor standers can reproduce the entire spectrum adequately, the 805 cannot make that claim without a sub. Note, not even the 703 or XT4 are bass pounders you have to go with even larger enclosures for that purpose (800 801 802). The 805 is very musical and a fabulous shelf speaker but on its own its only half a speaker (like any other bookshelf monitor). If you note the specs, the 805 and the XT2 use the same drivers (the 805 woofer is slightly larger as is the enclosure). The pearls of the 8 series that set them apart from the rest of the BW (and which for some justify exponentially higher price)line are the FST and and now the diamond tweeter, none of which, are present on the 805.

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

Jesus chris Beden1, you need to chill the (bleep) Out .

All I asked for is an opinion, not for you to reply and start shouting your mouth off and being rude. I haven't made up my mind yet, so back off, as you are starting to piss me off.

I am interested to hear everyones opinions, and their own experiences, and I don't need you to quote what is written on the B&W site to me.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.. appreciated!
                                          My response may have been on the stern side, but I feel it was appropriate given your closed minded response to my trying to be helpful.

Your current response in this public forum however, is just plain ignorant!!!

I guess it just may be best to respond to you in the fashion of Forrest Gump's mother; "ignorant is as ignorant does!"
                                          Last edited by RobP; 01 September 2007, 13:09 Saturday.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2007

I listen to a wide variety of music, and I do like music loud. They will be used in a stereo set up with my amp, the $4000 Bladelius/Advantage Thor (165w / ch) .
                                            I think the 805S is a little more refined and with the right sub would sound very good. If you do listen to music loud however, look more closely at the 703. Since the price is pretty close I'd add a sub to the 703 as well. The 703 is very close to the 805S in top end resolution and has a wonderful midrange in the FST. The 805S will start to compress at a lower volume than the 703 and will not give you the same mid-bass punch as well. Most people will try to turn the volume up or run the sub to high in relative volume and crossover to compensate for the lack of mid-bass the 805S will have compared to the 703. Just my two cents.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                              • Jul 2006

My response may have been on the stern side, but I feel it was appropriate given your closed minded response to my trying to be helpful.

Your current response in this public forum however, is just plain ignorant!!!

I guess it just may be best to respond to you in the fashion of Forrest Gump's mother; "ignorant is as ignorant does!"
                                              Now, now lets not get over exited :E

Comment

• jack667
                                                • Jul 2007

Hifiguy - thanks for your insightful reply. WI Rotel - thanks.

Beden... <<Text Deleted by Aussie Geoff>>

Cheers guys!

JACK - I would normally privately mesage you but your profile does not allow messages or Emails... You simply cannot use language like that in posts or I will suspend your membership. Please no matter how strong you feel.. We do not allow bad language or insults in this forum... EVER...

Cheers - Aussie Geoff
                                                Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 31 August 2007, 21:44 Friday.

Comment

• dknightd
                                                  • Mar 2006

Nice. NOT

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2003

Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just a hobby.. Some of you are taking this way too seriously...

I have deleted swearing...

No more!!!!

Geoff

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi

I think the 805S is a little more refined...
                                                      Indeed it is and a gross oversight by some. The entire 800 Series is not defined by driver constitution alone. What the 805S lacks in brute force and bass output it more than makes up for in resolve and accuracy. The advantage the 703 has lies within its FST midrange driver and its full range capacity given by the twin bass drivers. However, those advantages quickly dry up when challenged by the 805S.

The 805S employs a first-order crossover network which has a direct and positive impact on time coherence, the 703 with its third-order crossover lacks coherence. The 805S drivers had to be re-engineered to minimize internal breakup because of the advanced network. And it needed to satisfy the greater demands imposed by the shallow crossover slopes. The 703 drivers are less able to keep up within tolerance when pushed.

The 805S with its dense cabinet construction and internal matrix bracing minimize driver induced resonance, the 703 has no bracing holding the music hostage and coloring its output thus negating some of the FST benefit. As higher volumes are pursued higher levels of cabinet induced distortion will result.

The 805S uses a sophisticated tweeter assembly and is freely mounted in an isolated housing further minimizing cabinet resonances from contaminating the upper band frequencies. The 703 uses an inferior tweeter and the drivers while chambered are not completely free from each other. The 805S is, unfortunately, slightly hindered by midband reproduction but it compensates with less crossover distortion.

The 805S produces a wider dispersion pattern than the 703 thus improving sound staging and easing placement but it will impose greater demands on your source of power.

If all you are concerned about is music and you find yourself strapped for power, the 703 will have a slight edge over the 805S. But if HT is in sight and/or your budget allows for a pair of subwoofers I would put my money on the 805S for the reasons that I mentioned above.

The 805S is a bookshelf speaker with full range potential.
                                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Glenee
                                                        • Aug 2006

Yes Rebelman the same thing I have been telling them. Get the 805S's Jack.
                                                        Thanks Rebelman,
                                                        Glenee

Comment

• joetama
                                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                          Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

This is just a hobby.. Some of you are taking this way too seriously...

I have deleted swearing...

No more!!!!

Geoff
                                                          AMEN BROTHER!!!

Anyway, I am biased because I have the 703 but I would defiantly go with the 703. To me the 805S (and sometimes even the 804S which my dad has) just sound too plain not enough of the 'wow' factor. There is something in the sound that is too laid back and bland to my ear. They are great speaker no doubt, but there is something I don't like about them. The 803S on the other hand has whatever it is that the 805S & 804S is missing...

Just my thoughts...
                                                          -Joe

Comment

• jack667
                                                            • Jul 2007

Cheers guys - I am going for 805s!

Thanks

Comment

• BWzes03
                                                              • Oct 2005

I really can't see how you could compare the 805S to the 703s for use as your main speakers. The 805s are satellite speakers and are not intended as main speakers . . . and the 703s are full range speakers that are intended to be used as main speakers! IMO however, both benefit with a matching sub like the ASW 750, but the 703s will do a much better job as your mains/fronts.
                                                              The 805s are NOT Satellite speakers....
                                                              If they were, they would only be available as a set with a subwoofer.
                                                              They are in fact compact hifi speakers, fully capable of reproducing the most delicate of sounds on your recordings all be it, without the deepest of bass.

However, to state that the 703 is a full-range speaker speaks more of your ignorance than the statement of the 805 being a satellite speaker.

Do you know what the full-range nomer stands for ?

The ability to reproduce a frequency reponse of 20Hz up to 20.000Hz, the full audible range of frequencies.

So even your beloved 703 is NOT a fullrange speaker.....

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BWzes03
                                                                The 805s are NOT Satellite speakers....
                                                                If they were, they would only be available as a set with a subwoofer.
                                                                They are in fact compact hifi speakers, fully capable of reproducing the most delicate of sounds on your recordings all be it, without the deepest of bass.

However, to state that the 703 is a full-range speaker speaks more of your ignorance than the statement of the 805 being a satellite speaker.

The ability to reproduce a frequency reponse of 20Hz up to 20.000Hz, the full audible range of frequencies.

"The 805S is a compact 2-way system that gives a surprisingly full sound for its size and will not intrude into the room." Two way speakers to me are bookshelf, or satellite speakers . . . for the lack of better terminology. I guess if calling a 2-way speaker a satellite speaker is "showing my ignorance", then so be it.

I also feel the 805S needs to be paired with at least one sub woofer (a pair is better), in order to be used as main/front/stand alone speakers.

The 703 is a three way speaker, and to me, referencing a three way speaker as full range is not out of line . . . as audibly, it is full range (at least to my aging ears).

I do have "full range" speakers in one of my setups that are referred to as "reference" or "monitor" speakers. These are A/D/S 910 Reference speaker monitors that do reach a full 20Hz/20Hz sound spectrum.

Many terminologies being thrown around by manufacturers and laymen alike (like me) are becoming more loosely used today, as is our English Language in general. Please excuse my ignorance if I referred to anything in slang in my response.
                                                                Last edited by beden1; 03 September 2007, 23:05 Monday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by BWzes03

Actually the 703 is classified as a full-range loudspeaker. Full-range by definition means the ability to play bass, midrange and trebel frequencies. It does not mean the ability to reproduce all of the frequencies the human ear can hear.

The only instrument capable of reaching below 28Hz is a pipe organ and most loudspeakers are incapable of producing 20-30Hz frequencies without any rolloff. This includes some of the most expensive passive loudspeakers in the world.
                                                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• akhter
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

Personally I would never, under any situation consider a 700 series speaker over an 800 series speaker. In this case I would gladly give up some of the bass extension of the 703 for the refinement of the 805.

As said by others, I disagree with calling the 805S satellites. Satellite implies that a sub is a requirement, and that is not the case with the 805S. While a sub would be nice to have, it is not a requirement, especially in modest sized rooms.

I don't mean to sound defensive--I have never owned any of the speakers under question.

Comment

• AlanB
                                                                      • Nov 2006

I use the 805S's with a subwoofer (not too much!!) with a 250wpc amplifier and only listen to music - two channel. After nearly 40 years of supposedly upgrading as far as I am concerned 'I am there'. Beautifully balanced sound and most importantly MUSIC not Hi Fi.
                                                                      Beauty is in everything but not seen by everyone

Comment

• brocka
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • May 2007

Hi Jack

I had the some delima as you here, i was deciding between the 703 & 805 and thought i had made my mind up and was going for the 703's. However, i decided to go and have one more audition at another dealer here in brisbane (there are only two). We initally hooked up the 805s to a meridian cd player and an electrocompaniet eci5 intrageted amp, tried quite a few different piece of music and the 805s sounded fantasic! We then up plugged the 805s and hooked up the 703's to the exact same set-up.... well it was like chalk and cheese!!! it was like the music just disappeared...quite a big difference to my ears anyway...although the 805s are not huge on bass, to me the bass on the 805s sounded more natural and a wonderful soundstage...

that was my experience anyway..........needless to say i ended up purchasing two pairs of 805's, htm4s and asw825!

Comment

Working...
                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                        Search Result for "|||"