Upgraded from 804s to 803s, best move ever!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CJM
    • Feb 2007

Upgraded from 804s to 803s, best move ever!

I recently bought a pair of 804s to go with my htm3 center. I have a relatively small room (12 x 20), and was worried the 803s would provide too much base - especially since these speakers had to go right up against the wall. What I quickly discovered was that with such a clear spectrum of midrange and highrange sounds, my ear needed a fuller and deeper bass. I tried biamping, but more power simply cannot substitute for the smaller woofer and cabinet. I cured my upgraditis by exchanging my 804s for 803s. They sound simply unbelievable. Specifically, the lower end of the midrange blends seemlessly with the upper end of the lowrange, and the overall depth of the low end is incredible. I have no idea why I was worried about too much bass, and initially chose the 804s. The 804s is a great speaker, but it honestly sounds flat with a fragmentation between the middle and low ranges compared to the 803s. Anyone who is trying to decide between the two should definately hold out for the 803s.
    I didn't even bother to listen to the 803d or 802d since I don't have the components to hear the difference.
    Hope this helps someone out there.
    Does anyone else have a good upgrade experience?
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I added an ASW800 to compliment my N804. They meld together nicely. This combo would have been roughly the same price as a pair of 803s. Since I upgraded my amp from RB-1070 to RB-1092 the music is even sweeter.

Comment

• CJM
      • Feb 2007

When I listened to the sub and 804s, it did not sound as good to my ear as the 803s alone. The low-lows were better, but the overall "smoothness" was missing to me. Thanks for your input. Amp upgrade is key!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"