X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

802D's with Classe M400 vs. 3200

Both of these Classe amps received great reviews. I'm sure the Classe M400 mono amps are going to sound somewhat better.

However, was wondering if any of you tried or heard both amps with the 802D's and if you found the M400's to be "dramatically" better.

Thanks!
    Dave
  • chuck1801
    • Feb 2006

Yes. I demoed the M400s for about two weeks with my 802Ds. They were wonderful. I also demoed a CA2200 and it was so close that I simply could not justify the extra cost. I bought the CA3200 and a third 802D for about the cost of 2 M400s. The CA3200 has been in my system for many months now and will remain. I've not seriously considered replacing it since. I consider it a great amp and a great bargain.

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by chuck1801
      Yes. I demoed the M400s for about two weeks with my 802Ds. They were wonderful. I also demoed a CA2200 and it was so close that I simply could not justify the extra cost. I bought the CA3200 and a third 802D for about the cost of 2 M400s. The CA3200 has been in my system for many months now and will remain. I've not seriously considered replacing it since. I consider it a great amp and a great bargain.
      Thanks so much for sharing that info!!

Did you find the bass weight and authority of the 3200 to be pretty much equal with the M400's? I also have the 802D's.

When I read reviews of the Delta 200 watt power amps and the Classe CDP-102 CD Player (which I am also close to getting), the one thing I keep hearing is that while the bass is very detailed, its weakness is that it's lean. This is a bit of a turn off for me since much of what I listen to is rock music, where strong bass is very important. Maybe the M400's are noteably better in this respect???

Fortunately, I will be able to hear the 3200's this weekend, but I will not be able to compare them with the M400's.

Thanks!!
      Dave

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
        When I read reviews of the Delta 200 watt power amps and the Classe CDP-102 CD Player (which I am also close to getting), the one thing I keep hearing is that while the bass is very detailed, its weakness is that it's lean.
        It's not lean, at least, compared to other non-Classe amps.

Kal
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Eliav
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
          It's not lean, at least, compared to other non-Classe amps.

Kal
          I must agree with kal.
          The CAM400 exhibit tight and authorative low end with the 802d. i have auditioned more expensive amps with the 802d ( Mac, Halcro) and did not find the cam400 lean at all compared to these amps. A 400watt top-notch amp which doubles to 800watt at 4 ohm cannot be fairly defined as "lean "IMHO.
          Eliav
          :T Socrat

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
            I must agree with kal.
            The CAM400 exhibit tight and authorative low end with the 802d. i have auditioned more expensive amps with the 802d ( Mac, Halcro) and did not find the cam400 lean at all compared to these amps. A 400watt top-notch amp which doubles to 800watt at 4 ohm cannot be fairly defined as "lean "IMHO.
            Eliav
            Eliav, my comments about possible leanness was referring to the 200 watt amps, not the CAM400's. I believe Kal's comments were also addressing the 200 watt amps (i.e., the 3200).

Thanks to both of you for commenting!!

Dave

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Eliav
              A 400watt top-notch amp which doubles to 800watt at 4 ohm cannot be fairly defined as "lean "IMHO.Eliav
              Power output numbers do not equate with leanness or lack thereof. Somewhat independant, in fact.

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Eliav
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                Power output numbers do not equate with leanness or lack thereof. Somewhat independant, in fact.

Kal
                Thanks for mentioning this,Kal.
                My basic understanding is that the "numbers" are among other things, translated to the ability to tightly control the woofers motion so that the low end reproduction is neutral as opposed to boomy or lean. I guess this is why Krell are known for their '"punch".
                otherwise, which electronic properties make one amp a punching beast and one "lean" ? is there any at all ?
                If not so, I would welcome a correction .
                Regards
                Eliav
                :T Socrat

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

I do not know of any spec or single measurement that equates directly to bass being full or lean except, perhaps, pulse analysis or waterfall plots.

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• chuck1801
                    • Feb 2006

The short answer is no, the Classe CA3200 is not 'lean' in the bass with the B&W 802Ds.

I think the only editorial review of the CA3200 with 802Ds was Kal's in Stereophile, so I would think that the other reviews would not have much to say on the issue.

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                      • Dec 2005

I assumed that the Delta 2200, 3200 and 5200, while having a different number of channels, would be pretty much identical in sound and performance if all other things are equal. Was that a wrong assumption?

Thanks,
                      Dave

Comment

• Tweir
                        • Oct 2006

I have not heard them on the 5200 yet. I have on the cam400's and I think that is the
                        best combo out their. The bass is very good. I listen to deeper bass tracks in r&b
                        and find out that I am hearing things recorded down there that i did not know was
                        there. I love the cam400's... Also I really listen to music only. And in using the
                        802d's on the mc402 I find that in normall listening the watt meter's are at 50 to 100watts and it is plenty loud at those levels...

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"