X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

HiFi Choice Reviews the CP-700 and CA-M400s

After nearly a year and a half since Classe' introduced the CP-700 to market, we finally have our first professional review of it in HiFi Choice Magazine's May 2007 issue. Along for the ride are a pair of CA-M400 monoblocks.

I am not going to bore anyone by regurgitating all the details of the article here, I'll leave that information to the periodical for those interested to know more. But I will say that one very distinctive impression from my first encounter with the Delta Series nearly two years has to this day remained unchanged.

In my experience, I have found it difficult for most solid state systems to come off sounding naturally without some level of system induced tonal imbalances rearing their ugly head and distracting my attention. These imbalances could be anything from abrasive highs to pounding lows. The Delta series, in general, does an amazing job at sounding natural. Nothing synthetic or man made about it, just natural and pleasant listening ability. (Attending a live concert and listening to the performance through a PA system is not natural and mostly unpleasant.)

I've been preaching for a long time now that the Delta Series excels in producing a vast depth of sound-staging and exhibits remarkable smoothness of character throughout the audible band without sacrificing clarity or detail making playback at unconventional volumes possible without a hint of listener fatigue. The CP-700 coupled with the CA-M400 exemplifies these characteristics best in the Delta Series and HiFi Choice seems to agree.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

no link? you mean I have to go hunting for it?!
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• photoman
      • Apr 2006

Dam Rebelman talk dirty to me - i like it :B

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
        no link? you mean I have to go hunting for it?!
        Sorry dude. For Dan and anyone else that doesn't have convenient access to a local newsstand here is your ticket to Power and Poise.

Enjoy!

Comment

• shep
          • Dec 2004

recently picked up CP-700

just added the CP-700 to the CDP-102, as part of my upgrade away from Rotel. Both were picked up used on Audiogon (look for some rotel sales on Audiogon in near future). Still holding on to the Rotel RB-1090 as I am convinced that was not the weakest link in the old system (RCD-1072 and RC-1070). Currently driving B&W 803s. Cannot afford any more upgrades for the near future but very happy with current setup. Next step is to pick up phono stage (on board for cp-700 or external) for my 22 year old Denon turntable, so I can let go of the Rotel pre.

I must say this has made a very large improvement. Sound is a little less harsh, more laid back presentation (rcd-1072 was very forward and had a bit of edge to it), and the perceived veil imposed by the RC-1070 has been lifted. Switching to all balanced conncections may have contributed to some of this, but overall listenability is greatly enhanced. Switching from old Miles Davis cds to Dave Holland to early 80s ska and reggae (UB40, Marley, etc.) to Pink Floyd to Dire Straits, etc., all the familiar songs sound more detailed, more coherent (maybe others know what I mean), and infinitely more listenable. Bliss...for now.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Congrat's shep on your recent aquisitions. If you get the optional phono stage for the CP-700 I would be interested in a full report on how you think it compares with external competitors.

Comment

• shep
              • Dec 2004

Have been rethinking the module....main thing holding me back is the module is much more expensive than the investment in my turntable (a 22 year old Denon DP-35F) and I don't expect to use it that much. May go the cheaper external route unless I can find a discounted/used module. Otherwise, may move the turntable to the HT room and just hook it up with the Denon receiver.

Comment

• shep
                • Dec 2004

maybe someone has a used module? How likely would that be...

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I just picked up HiFi Choice's The Collection issue for 2007 and three of Classe's Delta Series separates were listed as world's finest hi-fi. These include the CDP-202, the CP-700 and the CA-M400.

A particularly noteworthy comment in the same issue about power amplifiers comes from Ken Kessler in an article that traces his roots of high-end audio which states...
                  "Among the makers of 'super amps' mainly American and Canadian, were notables including Krell - who arguably surpassed Levinson's achievements - Classe', Threshhold, GAS, Ayre, Boulder, Bryston, Sumo and countless others."
                  I thought it was interesting because he explicitly listed Classe' as if to say it stood out from the crowd of "countless others". I can attest to that. :B

In a review of the flamboyant KEF Muon, same issue, Jason Kennedy goes on to say...
                  "In amp terms think top-end Krell, Classe', Mark Levinson, Musical Fidelity or Chord... pleanty of power and finess."
                  Neither of which the Ayre MX-R's and Gamut D200 possessed. I can attest to that too. :B

Comment

• Eliav
                    • Jul 2005

Rebel
                    I guess we cannot agree more on "Hi-Fi choice" nomination for best separates can we ? :B
                    Eliav
                    :T Socrat

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

No we can't.

Usually, I don't put too much stock in professional reviews because of potentially questionable motives. But in this case, my experience, which preceeds most Classe' Delta Series reviews, parallels what the editors have had to say and why I agree.

The honeymoon was over months ago yet my feelings toward Classe' has remained steadfast for more than two years. Mind you I have been exposed to some of the most elaborate, esoteric and expensive systems available. I don't expect my feelings will change provided that Classe' continues their passion and dedication of building affordable top flight audio equipment and backing it up with exemplary customer support.

Comment

• Eliav
                        • Jul 2005

I agree again. I have had these components for about two years.rarely had previous systems I owned thrilled me for such a long time as Classe do. The best indicator for my satisfaction is - it killed my upgaditis bug !
                        the only upgrade I can think about is going with the 800d with two cam400 per speaker.
                        Eliav
                        :T Socrat

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"