X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Best Sub to go with my 802D's

Hey guys:

I own the 802D's and am about to take the plunge and purchase the HTM2D center channel. I'm a very happy camper at the moment, though my wallet isn't.

So, now I'm considering going all out and getting a powered subwoofer to be used for movies, concert DVD's and occasionally DVD audio (not for 2 channel CD audio listening).

In your opinions and personal taste, should I go with a B&W sub (e.g., ASW 855) or should I go with another brand like Velodyne, who dedicate all of their efforts into making the best subwoofers? I am willing to have the sub be a slight mismatch of tone with my B&W speakers if a non B&W sub is notably better than a B&W sub.

Anyone do any "AB" listening tests with B&W subs and others? If so, what was the outcome?

I would like to keep the cost at around $3000 or lower.

One thing I never seemed to accomplish in my room (15 by 21 feet, ceiling is 20 feet high) with my old B&W sub, was that really deep but tight bass (i.e., a big t-rex stomp), and I would love to accomplish that in my home. Plus I love concert DVD's.

Thanks so much!!!
    Dave
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

There is no issue of tonal mismatch with subs, so go with what works best for you. IMHO, insist on a sub with a decent PEQ or add one (like a Velodyne SMS-1). I am currently using a JL Audio f113 with my 802Ds in a 15x26x8 room (open at the back).

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
      • Dec 2005

Thanks for the info.

Anyone try the SVS PB12 Ultra/2 or the Velodyne DD-18 subwoofers? Thanks!!

Comment

• scanido
        • Apr 2006

Go for the best now.

JL Audio Fathom 12" or 13". I'm looking at the 13".

Comment

• Angioguy
          • Nov 2005

I'm using the Velodyne DD-12 with my 802D's, and it is simply amazing... Get to a Velodyne dealer and play with the room calibration software-- it's pretty cool-- and useful too! You should be able to find one new for <$3000. Good luck....
          B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
            • Dec 2005

Thanks guys!!! Will look into the Velodynes and JL's. Man the JL's are getting a lot of great press.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2006

FWIW, here's my experience with the JL and the 802Ds: http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofer...tr/index1.html

Kal
              Kal Rubinson

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                FWIW, here's my experience with the JL and the 802Ds: http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofer...tr/index1.html

Kal
                Hey Kal:

Excellent!!! Great article and perfect timing for me!

Thanks!!
                Dave

Comment

• VictorHRS
                  • Apr 2005

I have the Velodyne DD18 with 802Ds and it's all I ever wanted. I strongly recommend this sub. But there are also many good ones out there, you should try and see what works best for you. :T

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"